You are not connected. Please login or register

New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 9 of 14]

201 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 pm

https://twitter.com/Lawrence_Miles/status/887038694112329728

Interesting view there, not sure I agree with everything but it was different.

View user profile

202 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:31 pm

@The Talking Cabbage wrote:
@Boofer wrote:If this decision is political, the decision not to change (conservatism) is also a political decision.

Avoid whataboutery.

Sometimes it's justified.

View user profile

203 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:51 pm

Correct, Mr. Rawkuss.

204 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:53 pm

And isn't that exactly what the alt-right pathological anti-SJWs do?

"But men?!?!? But muh whiteness?!?!? Your problems are nothing compared to women in the Islamic world!!!"

LOL LOL LOL

205 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:30 am

Rawkus wrote:https://twitter.com/Lawrence_Miles/status/887038694112329728

Interesting view there, not sure I agree with everything but it was different.

I don't particularly like Laurence Miles, but agree with much of his assessment.

With a female Doctor under the appalling juvenile dumb writing of Chibnall how will it be anything else but an innuendo-led parody to cover up the deficiencies in original script writing?

I can imagine him revelling in the Sun headlines of "Doctor Phoar!" whilst the gutter trash tabloid journalists all take turns to repeatedly spew out their wank fantasies about Jodie Whitaker...

It WILL be more "Carry On" innuendo rather than a bold liberating statement of sexual equality which everyone who supports this decision seems to think it will be, I mean just check out the other "strong" female characters in NuWho for proof.

They're all either modern day contemporary gushy eyed sops to the Doctor, complete thicko chavs or just deliberately spiteful and selfish and ruled by their own labidos. Whatever happened to the Barbara Wrights, Sara Kingdoms, Zoes, Liz Shaws in the programme? They aren't there because NuWho writers can't write strong, intelligent and independent female characters for toffee.

I also agree that initially a female Doctor will be successful due to the curiosity factor and indeed despite the utterly shite scripts probably well acted and (hopefully) in character too, however by the middle to end of the series when the novelty effect has worn off and all that is left is dumb writing and innuendo and the fact the Doctor is a woman has been rammed down your throat for the 50 thousandth time, the audience will then quickly slide off to find the next novelty hype leaving a bitterly divided fandom behind all blaming each other for the then perceived failure.

I'm not saying a female Doctor couldn't work in the show, but only if handled right with some completely deadpan serious script writers instead of self-loathing fanboy hacks who delight in indulging in slaughtering every sacred cow purely for the sake of pissing off long-term fans to satisfy their own personal deep-set ingrained pathological hatred of 80's Who. I could imagine it possibly working early on under Letts/Dicks/Holmes when feminism was a rising public awareness, or indeed even possibly during the 80's under JNT, but under the likes of Chibnall, Moffat, Gatiss, Cornell etc?

Forget it.

Changing the Doctor's gender was the least of the problems or concerns of the current series, and such an act of tokenism does little to address the piss poor writing and consistent annoying retconning and making, breaking and changing the rules of the narrative on the fly.  

I really wish The Doctors character could've died at the end of Capaldi's run and 13th incarnation as he always originally should've(ignoring the War Doctor shoe-horned aberration) and the series continued on another way...for example the original dead Doctor bequeathing a future incarnation of Romana his TARDIS in his will if a female lead was really wanted.

As Davison said, "There should've been another way"

Last edited by Rob Filth on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 am; edited 3 times in total

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

206 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:52 am

Rawkus wrote:Sometimes it's justified.

Logical fallacies are never justified, unless you're into special pleading...

View user profile

207 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:53 am

@Boofer wrote:Correct, Mr. Rawkuss.

Wrong, Mr. Boofer.

View user profile

208 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 am

Mike

Dick Tater
@The Talking Cabbage wrote:
Rawkus wrote:Sometimes it's justified.

Logical fallacies are never justified, unless you're into special pleading...
It isn't a logical fallacy.

View user profile

209 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:02 am

Mike

Dick Tater

View user profile

210 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:20 am

@Mike wrote:

...and it's posts like this, why this casting decision really is the Brexit of fandom.

Every bit as fucking stupid as the Daily Mail faux-anger knuckledraggers.

211 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:25 am

Seems our iTrump voting cousins across the pond are being equallity as dividedon this. Fox News is reporting on it.

View user profile

212 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:26 am

Oh come off it, Rob!! LOL

213 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:27 am

Mike

Dick Tater
@Rob Filth wrote:...and it's posts like this, why this casting decision really is the Brexit of fandom.

Every bit as fucking stupid as the Daily Mail faux-anger knuckledraggers.
When I'm being called Mangina Mike by real-life knuckledraggers, I'll come at them in kind.

View user profile

214 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:30 am

@Boofer wrote:Oh come off it, Rob!! LOL

So you don't consider it a divisive decision and super innuendo man Chris Chibnall will do a female Doctor justice?

215 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:40 am

Fandom self-divides over everything: Wiliams/JNT/ClassicVsNew/Smith/Capaldi

View user profile

216 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:42 am

Mike

Dick Tater
Rawkus wrote:Fandom self-divides over everything: Wiliams/JNT/ClassicVsNew/Smith/Capaldi
Troughton.

View user profile

217 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:46 am

I wonder how long it will be before Chiballs repeats his aggressive wank rape fantasy dialogues of "When was the last time you screwed all night? When was the last time you came so hard and so long you forgot where you are?" with his new Doctor like he did with Gwen Cooper?

Yup, this is a real strike for sexual equality coming up here!

Just changing the Doctor's gender makes it so, brains are not required.

218 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:47 am

@Rob Filth wrote:
@Boofer wrote:Oh come off it, Rob!! LOL

So you don't consider it a divisive decision and super innuendo man Chris Chibnall will do a female Doctor justice?

Potentially don't disagree with either of those points, but I'm not sure a casting decision on a TV show can be equated with a major geopolitical decision. It's a bit of a histrionic comparison.

It's a divisive decision that's also a brilliant bit of PR. Indeed they've not just got the fans talking about it, it's now one of those 'water cooler' discussions in workplaces, and has made more than one major American TV network take notice of the show.

You've got to give Chinball a bit of kudos for that.

My opinion has always been that his writing has some severe weaknesses and tendency towards innuendo, but that there's a chance that the writing room will reign in these flaws a little.

I think the days of the showrunner spunking out something the night before with his face buried in a coke mountain the size of Tony Montana's is over (probably).

If it fails, it fails, but I doubt it'll be down to a single casting decision. Chibnall and the rest have the power to shape this in whatever way they like.

I hope it works. I have my doubts, but an actor's gender isn't likely to sway that for me as I see that as rather tenuous to the role.

219 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 am

@Mike wrote:
Rawkus wrote:Fandom self-divides over everything: Wiliams/JNT/ClassicVsNew/Smith/Capaldi
Troughton.

Actually, what if Jodie is playing a transgender female Doctor?

Y'know, is female, but identifies as male because of all her other incarnations?

Maybe she could go to the regeneration Doctor to get some sparkly hormones that shrink her tits and give her an Adam's apple?

I'm thinking a SheWee attachment for the sonic screwdriver could push the merchandise sales into warp drive. Wink

#FULLSJW

220 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 1:53 am

@Mike wrote:
Troughton.

None of which even approach the Brexit of Fandom.

Probably the only thing anywhere near as divisive was The TVMovie (which I personally loved but still recognise the divisiveness it caused)

221 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:03 am

@Boofer wrote:
@Mike wrote:
Troughton.

Actually, what if Jodie is playing a transgender female Doctor?

Y'know, is female, but identifies as male because of all her other incarnations?

Maybe she could go to the regeneration Doctor to get some sparkly hormones that shrink her tits and give her an Adam's apple?

I'm thinking a SheWee attachment for the sonic screwdriver could push the merchandise sales into warp drive. Wink

#FULLSJW
And it's purely this kind of reaction along with the dumbass jokes about women-drivers with a TARDIS embedded in a wall why this casting decision unfortunately backfires.

It invites nothing but ridicule and parody, something I can't imagine Chiballs and co rising above and just actively encouraging instead.

That's why if a female lead was written into the programme it should've been done by other means rather than retconning regeneration from a bodily renewal system into a gender-changing shape shifting.

I guess you lot would all be happy with the Doctor coming back with two heads or no head after a regeneration considering that has also been established in NuWho revisionism too?

222 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:14 am

@Boofer wrote:It's a divisive decision that's also a brilliant bit of PR. Indeed they've not just got the fans talking about it, it's now one of those 'water cooler' discussions in workplaces, and has made more than one major American TV network take notice of the show.

You've got to give Chinball a bit of kudos for that.

As I say, I expect the initial episodes to be successful, if only for the curiosity factor.

@Boofer wrote:My opinion has always been that his writing has some severe weaknesses and tendency towards innuendo, but that there's a chance that the writing room will reign in these flaws a little.

I think the days of the showrunner spunking out something the night before with his face buried in a coke mountain the size of Tony Montana's is over (probably).

Sorry, but I almost spat my drink over the keyboard laughing at that bit.

Chiballs is Fatheads prodigy to the Nth degree and we all know how "reigned in" by the writing team he was!

223 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:20 am

@Mike wrote:
Troughton.

Yep, that as well, when he first took over from Hartnell a lot of people thought it would fail.

I thought I posted this earlier: http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Times_Doctor_Who_Was_Ruined_Forever

View user profile

224 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:22 am

Teresa May has come out saying how great it is to have a female Doctor.
Mike agrees with her.
May is a tory.
Mike agrees with a tory.
Mike is now a tory Wink

View user profile

225 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Tue Jul 18, 2017 2:37 am

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-17/overwhelming-majority-of-doctor-who-fans-are-looking-forward-to-first-female-doctor-says-poll

Just 15% of Doctor Who fans are against the idea of having a female Doctor after Jodie Whittaker ushered in a "new dawn" for the BBC1 sci-fi show.
Despite a vocal minority bemoaning the casting decision, the reaction has been generally positive amongst fans according to a poll conducted by RadioTimes.com.

Out of over 12,000 people who voted, only 1,978 people called the decision to cast a female Doctor "terrible". By contrast, over 40 per cent of those polled by contrast called the decision "fantastic", with another 43 per cent saying they would wait to see her first episode before jumping to conclusions.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum