You are not connected. Please login or register

New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 8 of 14]

176 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:19 am

If I were casting a female Doctor I'd have gone for someone like Joanna Lumley. She has that unique, unusual quality that all the best actors to play the Doctor have had. There's no one quite like her.

Does Jodie Whittaker have this quality? I've no idea, but going on past experience, I'd say not. I think that of the NuWho era Doctors, only Matt Smith really had it. I could believe he was the same character as Troughton or Tom Baker. The others were too, well "ordinary" for want of a better word. Or "any old f*** with an Equity card" as the unedited version of "The Pitch of Fear" would have it.

View user profile

177 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:43 am

View user profile

178 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 am

@Rob Filth wrote:Can someone please point me in the direction of a new male role-model hero who uses brain instead of brawn, is a pacifist and until NuWhos fucking crap, isn't motivated by and interested in sex please?

Thread won. I am going to have this carved in stone.

View user profile

179 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:04 am

@burrunjor wrote:
@iank wrote:You know it's a clusterfuck when it's got Rob and Toiletman on the same page! LOL

SJW's have a habit of uniting people who are normally enemies. Its proof of how destructive they are really when you think about it.

I have no idea what an SGW is, but if it's anything like a Merry Sue, then you are barking up the wrong tree.
I am off for a strong female lead when the story calls for it, but I feel like at this point the motivation for having a female doctor was not any sort of inspired to creative choice but rather a gimmick for ratings.

View user profile

180 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:35 am

Dead against it for exactly the same reasons Rob has said. I also think it is reverse sexism to change such an established male role and make it female. Everything has its place, and while change is good, not all change is good.

This is just pandering to the uneducated, media guzzling lower classes who this show is aimed at.

I hope this fails, I really do. I hope it fails so hard that it destroys the franchise. Perhaps then one day someone can reboot it post McGann again and we can pretend this whole fucking revival never happened.

View user profile

181 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:47 am

@Genkimonk wrote:Perhaps then one day someone can reboot it post McGann again and we can pretend this whole fucking revival never happened.

I wonder if there is anyway to crowdfund an independent McGann/Doctor Who related spin off series, a bit like they've done with Star Trek Continues?

It might be difficult for copyright reasons to refer to him as being "The Doctor" or to use the TARDIS, but there are always ways around that...

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

182 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:52 am

@BobDominelliSudbury wrote:I have no idea what an SGW is, but if it's anything like a Merry Sue, then you are barking up the wrong tree.

SJW = Social Justice Warrior(quite why people have to use these idiot initialisations on the internet fuck only knows)

It's to imply that this idiot decision somehow has a left-leaning political aim, when really all it boils down to a cynical crass attempt to manipulate tacky tabloid column inches for cheap publicity.

Basically, this decision just says to me, "Ha ha ha you sad nancy fanboys, go find yourself a proper real male role-model/hero who is a gun-slinging, womanising thug like John Wayne or Clint Eastwood, and stop being a precious dick watching a kids tv show," such is the contempt behind it.

183 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:42 am

So I have a question? Does making me stop when Moffat leaves because I already intended to do that now make me a bad person?

View user profile

184 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 am

I wondered, apart from Ian Levines predictable response, are there any other Doctor Who illumi who have publicly spoken out against this casting decision?

185 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:23 am

I have no idea what an SGW is, but if it's anything like a Merry Sue, then you are barking up the wrong tree.
I am off for a strong female lead when the story calls for it, but I feel like at this point the motivation for having a female doctor was not any sort of inspired to creative choice but rather a gimmick for ratings.

SJW stands for Social Justice Warrior. Its an ironic term to refer to twats who think they are being left wing champions, but are actually just causing more harm and division and at best are nothing but posers. Kind of like a real life Rik from the Young Ones updated for the 21st century.

I'm all for a strong female lead too. Again look at some of the shows I've written extensively about on my blog.

The point is however a female Doctor is out of sync with the rest. As Rob said if he had been written as gender neutral from the start then fine. No one would have a problem with it, just as no one had a problem with Brainiac changing gender in Smallville, or the Demons in Supernatural who are genuinely gender fluid.

However the timelords clearly had a baseline gender for 26, nay 40 years. The Master was a bloody misogynist in Simm's time. LOL how does that work? Seriously?

Trying to retcon it at this late stage that they are gender fluid destroys the illusion that all of these different Doctors are merely different aspects of the same man. As it would for a female timelord.

Imagine Ross Kemp or Vinnie Jones coming in and telling us they were the same character as Lalla Ward? Or Brian Blessed coming in and telling us he was either a regenerated version of Susan or Jenny. LOL you'd laugh because it would seem like a parody.

Sadly that's the state the current show is in. Now Vinnie Jones could be Romana, Brian Blessed could be Susan whilst the Master is a big sexy woman who wants to shag the Doctor, and the Doctor is some woman from Broadchurch LOL LOL LOL

Its not hard to see why fans from all era's, Hartnell to Tennant no longer feel its the same show with that in mind.

View user profile

186 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

@Rob Filth wrote:I wondered, apart from Ian Levines predictable response, are there any other Doctor Who illumi who have publicly spoken out against this casting decision?

Peter Purves said he was horrified at the thought of a female Doctor.

View user profile

187 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:35 am

Mike

Dick Tater
@Rob Filth wrote:I wondered, apart from Ian Levines predictable response, are there any other Doctor Who illumi who have publicly spoken out against this casting decision?
Peter Davison gave some very thoughtful, eloquent reasons why he didn't want a woman to be cast.

View user profile

188 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:22 pm

Our first Yorkshire Doctor Smile

"What's tha doin'?" said the Doctor.
"We are building a Cyber Bomb, the most powerful -"
"Oh aye?" Interrupted the Doctor. "Thee and whose army, soft lad?"

View user profile

189 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 pm

Sad that now all the scripts being awful still will be overlooked.

View user profile

190 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:49 pm

Katy Manning said the Doctor is a male character and shouldn't be a woman then tweeted this after the news broke

KatyManning Official‏Verified account
@ManningOfficial
Following
More
12 actors have given their superb magic touch to creating their Doctors & I feel 13 will be a corker good on you @ChrisChibnall
7:24 pm - 16 Jul 2017

Alex Kingston said the same thing and here is her reaction: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-07-15/alex-kingstons-reaction-to-a-female-doctor-who-was-so-river-song

What they say before and after isn't always the same.

Terrance Dicks didn't want the Doctor to be a woman but haven't seen a reaction from him anywhere.

View user profile

191 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:52 pm

Peter Davison: https://twitter.com/PeterDavison5/status/886741000810627072

It might be more helpful to be encouraging, and not simply scornful, of fans who are uncertain about change.

A sincere and non-fawning response. Good on him.

View user profile

192 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:37 pm

I've just heard the exciting news

View user profile

193 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:52 pm

Rawkuss wrote:

What they say before and after isn't always the same.

Terrance Dicks didn't want the Doctor to be a woman but haven't seen a reaction from him anywhere.

Everything about this is political. It's the Emperor's New Clothes, and people are afraid to speak their minds.

View user profile

194 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Afraid to speak their minds?

This forum has expressed its indignation vociferously, and even the BBC itself has reported the reaction as 'mixed', providing both positive and negative views from the public.

There are people who just aren't bothered about the gender of the Doctor; for them it will never seem like a 'political' decision as they don't see these type of choices as inherently political in the first place.

Others will have well-reasoned arguments for not wanting the Doctor's gender to change, and I think there's definitely something to what Rob is saying about the subversive masculinity of a male Doctor. However, New Who has been a conduit for diversity. It really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that they've made this decision. Plus there are so many other, more important deviations from the classic show that have been far more impactful on the show's feel and tone i.e. the self-knowing irony, the overload of popular culture references, the spaghettified continuity, the reliance on spectacle and character rather than stories, and, worst of all,  the Doctor's story being secondary to the companion's.

Maybe a woman Doctor will resolve that last issue in the sense that they won't need to focus on a Mary Sue in order to appeal to the young female demographic.

If this decision is political, the decision not to change (conservatism) is also a political decision. The idea that there is some kind of blankly neutral 'standard' is illogical, and speaks to notions of the invisibility of whiteness and maleness in culture.

View user profile

195 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:40 pm

A list of times DW has been ruined forever: http://doctorwhogeneral.wikia.com/wiki/Times_Doctor_Who_Was_Ruined_Forever

View user profile

196 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:46 pm

Lance Parkin on FB:

'But the Doctor's always been a man' is a fascinating objection, and one worth discussing. I think casting a female James Bond *does* change the character, in the same way casting a male Wonder Woman would. It matters to the story, I think, that James Bond is male. But not because of the physical stuff - it's just as 'plausible' that a 47 year old woman could jump out of a plane without a parachute, then win a fistfight with a shark as it is that Daniel Craig could. It matters because Bond's *always* been a relic, an icon of masculinity who doesn't quite fit in the modern world. Ian Fleming's novels written sixty years ago make that clear, and the movies are making jokes about it by the third one. 'James Bond's a sexist reactionary tool of patriarchy and late capitalism'. Er, yes ... that's what it's *about*, always. James Bond is *about* James Bond's dick.

Perhaps it 'matters' that Doctor Who is male in the same way. I don't know. There's an interesting storytelling choice to be made by the new team - does it matter or not? Can you write the same script for Whittaker as you can for Capaldi, and let the actor play it? Where does escapism end and naiveity begin with that? A white dude can stride into a palace at any point in Western history and act likes he owns the place. He can sit in a bar on his own and enjoy a quiet drink. A woman can't. Can the Doctor? Can the format survive constant reminders that it's not realistic for a complete stranger to show up and everyone accepts their authority?

Part of me thinks a thirtysomething woman showrunner would be able to articulate this using a middleaged male actor playing the Doctor better than a middleaged male showrunner could using a thirtysomething actress. But, to his credit, Chris Chibnall seems to have gone on a journey with Broadchurch, and it doesn't seem fair to point out that his episode with a Cyberwoman wasn't, um ... well, least said, soonest mended.

What does the show now feel it needs to explain away that it didn't before? *That's* how we'll see why gender 'matters'.

View user profile

197 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:47 pm

@Boofer wrote:It really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone that they've made this decision.

Considering it had been signposted in a ruddy great big 8 foot high flashing neon light lettering for the last 3 years, of course it wasn't a ruddy surprise.

We're talking about NuWho here, remember?

Hardly a purveyor in the art of subtlety.

I'm only surprised they didn't wheel out the whole Murray Gold brass band orchestra to announce it.

198 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:10 pm

Fucking hell – 8 pages already?

Count me as one who thinks this is a shit sandwich of a decision. One cunt leaves and another fucking cock gobbling thundercunt prances in all “I always knew I wanted the Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman”-like. Did you now, you fucking lobotomised fuckwitted wankfaggot. Christ, I'm almost missing Moffprat already, but that shitspiggot laid the groundwork for this wankery with the gender-shifting references in The Doctor's Wife and earlier in Curse – the fucking vomit lord.

I will watch the new totty though. She's easy on the eye, and when push comes to shove, nothing – but abso-fucking-lutely nothing – could be as dire as that moon-egg arse biscuit of an episode. But if that whoring suck twat writes as fucking badly as he makes casting calls, I'll be fucking off like a Jewish foreskin.

View user profile

199 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:43 pm

@Boofer wrote:If this decision is political, the decision not to change (conservatism) is also a political decision.

Avoid whataboutery.

View user profile

200 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:42 pm

Mike

Dick Tater
@The Talking Cabbage wrote:
@Boofer wrote:If this decision is political, the decision not to change (conservatism) is also a political decision.

Avoid whataboutery.
He's absolutely right, though.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum