You are not connected. Please login or register

New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 7 of 14]

151 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:17 pm

@Lacrobat wrote:
@Rob Filth wrote:I reckon even "Death in Heaven" is gonna seem like an "Ark In Space" or something by comparison.
Oh Gawd!

I've not seem much of "Torchwood", certainly not "Cyberwoman" or "Kiss Kiss....". I've seen his NuWho stuff and... oh Christ.... he wrote "Crap CGI on a Spaceship" didn't he?

Bollocks!

Yeah, the pub-quiz security on a spaceship episode was actually one of Chibnalls more intelligent efforts.

Most of his stuff is like RTD, but even more fucktard.

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

152 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:18 pm

Mike

avatar
Dick Tater
@The Talking Cabbage wrote:
@Mike wrote:
Yep, this is all completely accurate - but for me, the formula has changed beyond all recognition in the past twelve years anyway. I've never seen a female Doctor as being some sort of heretical idea. It could work. It could have worked in the old series too.

Perhaps that is an argument for creating a character who reflects our current mores, culture and politics. As I said, it does seem odd that people want to instead radically alter something that's carried on in one form or another for 50+ years. It's like puritans whitewashing over frescoes in old churches. It's not enough for them to win, but they somehow need to 'possess' what they rail against too.
Again, we agree, I just don't think it hinges on this one 'issue'. I think your analysis of the way Who has been treated by what passes for leftists in the past few years, as well as its producers. It's kind of like translating old academic works and replacing references to 'he' which are supposed to be universal with 'they'. We shouldn't ignore the social conditions and the context of what made Who Who - and I don't think this does.

I'm as willing to give Whittaker a chance as I am anyone else. I don't think the fact she's a woman is a radical break with tradition as the Doctor's maleness has never really come into the character in a strong enough way.

I'm excited to see what she does.

The downside is that, if successful, we'll not see a male Doctor ever again; no showrunner would dare.

View user profile

153 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:20 pm

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:and we know Chibnall created a critically acclaimed show when he had control.

Which amounted to one decent series, one that lost the plot and an uneven finale.

Still, not so much a cataclysmic nosedive as befell Being Human from Series 3 onwards. Not that this is saying much...

View user profile

154 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 pm

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:
..but I'm going to trust they didn't cast her lightly.
I would probably never have cast Tom Baker or Matt Smith for the part, so my judgement is pretty rubbish in this regard.

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:
...and we know Chibnall created a critically acclaimed show when he had control.
"Broadchurch" is another one I've never seen. I hope that Chibbers can come up with something new, because NuWho has become very stale.

I must admit I'm curious to see how much of a difference he'll make.


View user profile

155 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:28 pm

What critics think of a show means nothing in regards to quality.

Chris was in charge of the first two series of Torchwood. Therefore we have seen what he does when given creative control.

Everyone pretty much agrees Broachurch went downhill after Series 1.

Moffat was not that different to RTD really. Just arc heavy. I see us in for RTD-esc fun romp times which will be fun.

View user profile

156 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:35 pm

Adam Ant Driver

avatar
Dick Tater
@Raku wrote:What critics think of a show means nothing in regards to quality.

Chris was in charge of the first two series of Torchwood. Therefore we have seen what he does when given creative control.

Everyone pretty much agrees Broachurch went downhill after Series 1.

Moffat was not that different to RTD really. Just arc heavy. I see us in for RTD-esc fun romp times which will be fun.
I thought RTD was in charge of Torchwood? Shit.

I haven't see any of Broadchurch, but I thought the "controversy" with series 2 was that it went in a different direction instead of repeating a murder mystery style plot.


_________________
View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

157 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:45 pm

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:
I thought RTD was in charge of Torchwood?
Me too. Seems that he was the head writer with RTD as executive producer (http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2016-01-22/everything-you-need-to-know-about-new-doctor-who-showrunner-chris-chibnall)

I wonder how that worked in practice?

I remember watch the first episode of "Torchwood". And one where Captain Jack goes back in time to fall in love with the real Captain Jack. I quite enjoyed that one.

View user profile

158 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:56 pm

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:I thought RTD was in charge of Torchwood? Shit.

I haven't see any of Broadchurch, but I thought the "controversy" with series 2 was that it went in a different direction instead of repeating a murder mystery style plot.

Me too. I was surprised.

Co-produced and head writer.

While that is true in regards to Broadchurch, it did not help that the writing was worse for whatever reason.

View user profile

159 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:59 pm

Adam Ant Driver

avatar
Dick Tater
Turns out he also wrote the cannibal episode of Torchwood which I thought was one of the best things in all nuwho related material. I still watch that episode every few years.


_________________
View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

160 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 am

Countrycide was great, yeah

View user profile

161 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:09 am

The only good thing about this whole debacle...







... it finally got Rob to post! LOL

View user profile

162 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:30 am

@Rob Filth wrote:
@The Talking Cabbage wrote:It's the Brexit of fandom - monumental hubris combined with a shrill intolerance for any deviation from the party line.

Fantastic simile, I couldn't agree more.

"Disagree with this decision and you're obviously a sexist, misogynist, transphobic Daily Mail reading caveman!"

Never mind the fact that many fangirls are also dismayed by this decision, and to hell with any past conventions of the show or the fact that it doesn't make any damned sense.  

I'm sure the decision will be seen as a success when viewing figures go up by the morons who never watch the show who are titillated by this cheap stunt casting and tune in for the initial curiosity factor, but once they all bail out again after realising it's still the same badly written third rate hack, all it leaves behind is a bitterly divided fandom which is why it is so darn destructive.

I...I agree with Rob Filth!
Going to slit my wrists brb

View user profile

163 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:31 am

You know it's a clusterfuck when it's got Rob and Toiletman on the same page! LOL

View user profile

164 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:35 am

Mike

avatar
Dick Tater
The Brexit analogy is a funny one.

Casting a woman is stepping away from toeing the party line and you're all swinging your ballbags over your heads and declaring war.

View user profile

165 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:55 am

@iank wrote:You know it's a clusterfuck when it's got Rob and Toiletman on the same page! LOL

The thing is, is I disagree with the Daily Mail foamers on this that it's "Political Correctness gone mad" etc or "Typical Lefty BBC political agenda" etc

Although, I'm sure there's an element of wanting to piss the antiquated fossils who read such right wing trash off behind this decision, my main objection to it is that it is revisionism of the original concepts behind regeneration and Time Lord culture. (much like Marc Platts looms rubbish was)

There's tons of people who support this decision now citing that The Doctor is "a shapeshifter" to support this casting, er well "hello", since when the fuck was THAT established?

Can we now expect the next Doctor after the girl-experiment to regenerate into a London bus or Grand Piano then in true Frobisher style?

Or perhaps the Doctor could be like Maya from Space 1999 and change into tiger and elephants, I mean just how cool would that be, eh? Very Happy

It's nothing but fucking parody.

Can someone please point me in the direction of a new male role-model hero who uses brain instead of brawn, is a pacifist and until NuWhos fucking crap, isn't motivated by and interested in sex please?



Last edited by Rob Filth on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

166 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 am

@iank wrote:You know it's a clusterfuck when it's got Rob and Toiletman on the same page! LOL

SJW's have a habit of uniting people who are normally enemies. Its proof of how destructive they are really when you think about it.

Paul Joseph Watson believes capitalism is the greatest system on earth, whilst Brendan O'Neil is a marxist, yet both say exactly the same things about feminists, SJW's, Islam apologists etc. They even retweet each other all the time.

David Wood is a devout Christian, Richard Dawkins is leading member of the new Atheist movement, Maajid Nawaz is a devout Muslim man, yet they all say exactly the same thing about the regressive left and third wave feminists.

John Pilger is one of the biggest critics on American foreign policy in the world and regarded Christopher Hitchens as a war mongering sell out. Hitch meanwhile regarded Pilger as an anti American bigot and supported the Iraq war. Yet they were on the same page when it came to identity politics, and opportunistic feminists like Hillary Clinton.

So yeah it makes sense that DW fans from Tennant squee girls, to crusty old Classic Who fanboys, to the most devoted Colin Baker haters to the biggest JNT fanboys would despise the influence the SJW's have had on the show.

They poison everything they touch.

View user profile

167 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:05 am

@burrunjor wrote:SJW's have a habit of uniting people who are normally enemies. Its proof of how destructive they are really when you think about it.

The thing is, it's not even "social justice" - I hate this decision being compared to left-wing politics.

I am very much for strong leading lady roles, there aren't enough of them, however I consider it a social INJUSTICE to remove the only fucking established male hero who doesn't carry a gun and who doesn't want to shag everything which moves and who advocates brain over brawn.

Are the only male role models to aspire to the ones who act in such a macho manner now?

Surely if anything, this decision reinforces sexual stereotypes more by removing an alternative to the set standard of the male hero?

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

168 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:13 am

@Rob Filth wrote:
@burrunjor wrote:SJW's have a habit of uniting people who are normally enemies. Its proof of how destructive they are really when you think about it.

The thing is, it's not even "social justice" - I hate this decision being compared to left-wing politics.

I am very much for strong leading lady roles, there aren't enough of them, however I consider it a social INJUSTICE to remove the only fucking established male hero who doesn't carry a gun and who doesn't want to shag everything which moves and who advocates brain over brawn.

Are the only male role models to aspire to the ones who act in such a macho manner now?

Surely if anything, this decision reinforces sexual stereotypes more by removing an alternative to the set standard of the male hero?

This is the first reasonable argument I've heard for not casting a woman.

But of course you're not an angry misogynist who's just spewing bile because they feel disenfranchised and indignant about their own identitarian needs and wants.

View user profile

169 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:15 am

@Rob Filth wrote:
@burrunjor wrote:SJW's have a habit of uniting people who are normally enemies. Its proof of how destructive they are really when you think about it.

The thing is, it's not even "social justice" - I hate this decision being compared to left-wing politics.

I am very much for strong leading lady roles, in fact I consider it a social INJUSTICE to remove the only fucking male hero who doesn't carry a gun and who doesn't want to shag everything which moves and who advocates brain over brawn.

Are the only male role models to aspire to the ones who act in such a macho manner now?

Surely if anything, this decision reinforces sexual stereotypes more by removing an alternative to the set standard of the male hero?

Oh I agree, I'm obviously for leading lady roles too. Some of my fave shows star women like Xena, Buffy, Charmed. Those were the three shows I grew up with the most after Classic Who and really had a big impact on me.

I also one hundred percent agree that it doesn't mesh with what came before and the Doctor being a shapeshifter is NOT a reason to assume he has no gender. By that logic what about Mystique from the X-Men? She couldn't be more feminine!

I also am very left wing myself. I am a socialist, however sadly it can't be denied that the left is currently in a bad shape. We have been taken over by Rik from the Young Ones style posers and chancers like Caitlin Moran and Owen Jones.

More people subscribe to the Caitlin Moran type of "left wing" politics than the John Pilger, John Mclean type of left wing politics these days sadly.

SJW's or identity politics is actually the greatest weapon against true left wing politics. It divides us all by stupid things like race, gender, sexuality when we should be uniting to take on the biggest cause of inequality, class. This is why bastards at the top like George Soros love and fund divisive identity politics crap like BLM and the woman's march. To splinter the working class.

Anyway back on topic it was these SJW's, third wave feminists that sadly latched onto Doctor Who circa 2012 and started bullying Moff into doing it their way by slandering him as a sexist, racist etc, and this resulted in Missy, the General and all the other pseudo lefty crap in the Capaldi era and has ultimately ended in this. The end of the show.

View user profile

170 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:31 am

@Mike wrote:The Brexit analogy is a funny one.

Casting a woman is stepping away from toeing the party line and you're all swinging your ballbags over your heads and declaring war.

On the contrary, it's saving the show by destroying it, and if your only answer is to reduce the opposing side to caricatures, you're confirming some of their worst prejudices.

View user profile

171 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:36 am

Mike

avatar
Dick Tater
@The Talking Cabbage wrote:
@Mike wrote:The Brexit analogy is a funny one.

Casting a woman is stepping away from toeing the party line and you're all swinging your ballbags over your heads and declaring war.

On the contrary, it's saving the show by destroying it, and if your only answer is to reduce the opposing side to caricatures, you're confirming some of their worst prejudices.
I'm yet to see a decent argument as to why this is going to destroy the show, or why it's reducing it to a caricature.

The only person with decent, thought out arguments against a woman being cast as the Doctor is Rob Filth.

View user profile

172 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:39 am

Well I guess the only way through this is to come up with some good old fashioned fan-exposition for it, like I have to do with every dumb arse revisionist crap NuWho spews out.

I had to imagine Missy was really the Rani impostering the Master for nefarious reasons best known to themselves, and I guess this can be explained away by Romana(in a future incarnation) teleport-swapping herself for the Doctor at the point of regeneration because she wants to save him from oncoming danger she has had an insight to.

There! Fixed.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

173 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:53 am

Can we now have the next Doctor after the girl-experiment to be a Shetland Pony please because we haven't had one in the series before and it must be about time the Doctor can change species as well as gender(which is soooooo last year) and anyone who objects to the casting must be a speciesist, animal abusing, exploitative, murdering fucking hater!

I mean, The Doctors an alien for God's sake! He can do ANYTHING! Are you living in the fucking Dark Ages?

It's a fucking kids show, it's NOT for you - YOU don't own it! bye bye, you won't be missed, etc etc etc ad infinitum

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

174 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:03 am

@Mike wrote:I'm yet to see a decent argument as to why this is going to destroy the show, or why it's reducing it to a caricature.

but don't you consider this to be pandering to cheap Sun-style sensationalism?

I remember when Tom Baker first floated the idea when he hung up his scarf on "Nationwide"back in 1981, the fans fucking hated it, but the tabloids absolutely LOVED it.

View user profile http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

175 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:06 am

Mike

avatar
Dick Tater
@Rob Filth wrote:
@Mike wrote:I'm yet to see a decent argument as to why this is going to destroy the show, or why it's reducing it to a caricature.

but don't you consider this to be pandering to cheap Sun-style sensationalism?

I remember when Tom Baker first floated the idea when he hung up his scarf on "Nationwide"back in 1981, the fans fucking hated it, but the tabloids absolutely LOVED it.
I don't think that's why they're doing it, no, but the tabloids will of course run with it.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 7 of 14]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum