You are not connected. Please login or register

New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 14]

1 New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Following the Wimbledon final

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/885907569696440320

View user profile

2 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:37 pm

@Zarius wrote:Following the Wimbledon final

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/885907569696440320

Or leaked by the sodding Sun the day before no doubt!

View user profile

3 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:03 pm

Hitler, has only got one ball
The Doctor...has got none at all?


https://twitter.com/edwardrussell/status/885920713357635585

View user profile

4 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:10 pm

@Zarius wrote:Hitler, has only got one ball
The Doctor...has got none at all?


https://twitter.com/edwardrussell/status/885920713357635585

Well it's announced at the MEN'S final. So yeah, 100% it'll be a woman. Good luck to her. some others might not be so kind.

View user profile

5 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Luke Treadaway seems have had his odds cut. Not sure there was much matched. This article is a little old but: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-05-13/doctor-who-contender-luke-treadaway-responds-to-casting-rumours

View user profile

6 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Oh dear God...

I sense the final nail being driven into the coffin...

View user profile

7 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:45 pm

I'm hearing from sources that the Doctor will have a Billingsgate box, and not sausage and meatballs.


_________________
View user profile

8 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:46 pm

Jodie Whittaker's odds have heavily shortened.


_________________
View user profile

9 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:50 pm

View user profile

10 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:40 pm

@iank wrote:Oh dear God...

I sense the final nail being driven into the coffin...

Yeah its definitely going to be a female Doctor. Its a terrible idea and it ruins the consistency of the character but sadly SJW's always get what they want.

I'm actually going to steer clear of Who fandom for a bit until this has blown over only because all the feminists pushing for it have been so unbelievably obnoxious so far that's it going to be too annoying.

Take a look at this tweet from a guy called Gavin

Dear God Please Let Doctor Who 13 make weak, intolerant, middle aged white men feel threatened in some way. Thank You.

I mean seriously? How hateful and racist can you get. What white men are automatically more likely to be sexist? Imagine if I posted something like "dear God please make those stupid whiney black women be so upset about a tv show they love, because they are more likely to be man haters." That would rightfully be viewed as hateful, pathetic and racist, so why isn't his?

Funny thing was I tweeted him telling him that was racist and then asked him how many female led series he actually has like Xena, Buffy, Charmed, Once Upon A Time, Earth 2, Star Trek Voyager, Resident Evil, Alien, Ghost Whisperer etc in his DVD collectionm, if he LOVES female heroes so much?

He blocked me LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL The funny thing is though these people who go on about wanting a female Doctor in my personal experience NEVER talk about or like female heroes.

Like look at Paul Cornell. When did you last see him write a book about say Xena, Buffy or Alien? Its all male heroes like DW, Sherlock Holmes and Dan Dare he writes for, reviews etc.

IMO its just these people wanting to troll fans they hate rather than any interest in representation and its a shame that its seeped its way into the show, but maybe its for the best that new who finally dies and doesn't tarnish the memory of the old any longer.

View user profile

11 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:24 pm

@burrunjor wrote:
@iank wrote:Oh dear God...

I sense the final nail being driven into the coffin...

Yeah its definitely going to be a female Doctor. Its a terrible idea and it ruins the consistency of the character but sadly SJW's always get what they want.

They may get what they want, but they sure as hell don't stick around once something kotows to their cause.

Just ask Marvel comics.

View user profile

12 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:03 pm



Last edited by Rawkuss on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

13 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:06 pm

View user profile

14 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:07 pm

@Zarius wrote:
@burrunjor wrote:
@iank wrote:Oh dear God...

I sense the final nail being driven into the coffin...

Yeah its definitely going to be a female Doctor. Its a terrible idea and it ruins the consistency of the character but sadly SJW's always get what they want.

They may get what they want, but they sure as hell don't stick around once something kotows to their cause.

Just ask Marvel comics.

Ah yes Marvel Comics is another great thing they've sunk just like, Doctor Who, the New Atheist Movement and possibly soon the Video Game industry.

This video by Chris Ray Gun sums up how they destroyed the New Atheist Movement, but he needs to do an updated version with Doctor Who and Marvel (and remove Laci Green since he's shagging her now. Lucky bastard!)



I think these things show why feminists or rather third wave feminists (so as not to tar the likes of Christina Hoff Sommers with the same brush) are hated by genre fans more than any other social or political group.

They like to pretend its "sci fi and fantasy fans can't stand women being given any prominence in the sci fi and fantasy genres" which is just bullshit. Some of the biggest hits like Xena, Buffy, Charmed etc have starred women. Why did no one care for 8 years of Charmed or 7 years of Buffy or 6 years of Xena if they can't stand women in lead roles? Also most fan girls hate these third wave feminists too! Also many of the most obnoxious feminist fans are male too so its not a gender thing.

The reason is that third wave feminists can never just like something. They have to make EVERYTHING they join (and they typically almost always join them later than everybody else) completely about them. The same is not true of other political groups.

I am a socialist. Do I demand that Doctor Who be a socialist series? Do I demand that the next Doctor be a socialist, and give the "plebs" watching lectures on how socialism is the best thing in the world, and make every episode about socialism.

At the same time do right wing DW fans demand that the show cater to their needs? I mean hey look at Dave Cullen. He's a right wing youtuber. I like some of his vids, but I clash with him on a lot (he thinks socialism is evil, is against gay marriage and I completely support gay marriage of course). Anyway Dave's a big DW fan, but does he demand that it do one about how capitalism is great, a Pro Trump, a Pro Brexit episode?

Nope he just watches it! Obviously yes you do get writers who might bring a political angle to an individual story like say The Happiness Patrol. But that's not the same thing. That's just one story, and can therefore be dismissed.

Feminists however have to change the entire fabric of the show. The Master has to be a non binary, bisexual, transexual woman who was in a gay relationship with the Doctor, and wants him back, Clara has to be retconned into being the hero of every DW story as its sexist to have a male as the hero, the Doctor also now has to be rewritten as a non binary, transexual woman etc.

And on top of that we have to have SJW crap shoved into most episodes and even the bloody spin off series like this gem from Class.

TANYA: White people.
APRIL: White people what?
TANYA: Always so optimistic. Always so certain things are going to work out for you. Oh, well, because they usually do.
APRIL: My dad tried to kill me when I was eight.
TANYA: But you got your mum up walking again. Typical white-person happy ending.

Imagine that shit being stuck into the Doctor Who franchise. Third Wave Feminists are kind of like the Cybermen. They just want to make everything like them and that's why everybody else HATES them.



Last edited by burrunjor on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

15 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:15 pm

Mike

avatar
Dick Tater
I hope the thirteenth Doctor is a woman just so bumfluff spontaneously combusts and ends up rimming himself while comparing the Doctor to Tommy Robinson.

View user profile

16 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:23 pm

comparing the Doctor to Tommy Robinson.

You follow my blog? Awwwwwww I'm so touched. Admit it you like me don't you? Big Grin

And also thanks for proving my point Mike that the female Doctor thing is not about representation which you don't give a shit about as again where are all the female led shows you adore Mike? All the female singers? All the female led video games? I'm just saying it seems you like less female dominated forms of entertainment than me; the supposed sexist who can't stand women in strong roles in anything. What does that make you?

Its just about scoring points against fans you don't like which is why it pisses so many people off and has become such a big confrontational thing. Personally I think its a poor idea anyway, but granted it wouldn't be quite so bad if it wasn't for the "it has to happen and you have to like it or else you are a sexist" angle that's dominated fandom since well the 50th.

And PS Tommy Robinson is a true British Hero. He's not perfect by any means, but still he has done a lot of good for a lot of people.



Don't believe the press. As the great man John Pilger said when the same press that led us into the Iraq War and killed Princess Diana say someone is our enemy it should instantly make us suspicious.

View user profile

17 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:28 pm

Mike

avatar
Dick Tater
Feminism solved. Consumption of female-led culture industry trash is the saviour of womankind.

View user profile

18 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:28 pm

He's right, though, Michael. The level of blatant anti-white male racism and sexism on GB is astounding at the moment. And these people are so dumb they don't even realise how hideous they are, utterly oblivious to their own hypocrisy. If anyone was on there spouting the same level of vitriol about the possibility of casting a black man they'd get banned.

View user profile

19 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:31 pm

Mike

avatar
Dick Tater
@iank wrote:He's right, though, Michael. The level of blatant anti-white male racism and sexism on GB is astounding at the  moment. And these people are so dumb they don't even realise how hideous they are, utterly oblivious to their own hypocrisy. If anyone was on there spouting the same level of vitriol about the possibility of casting a black man they'd get banned.
There are utter wankshafts on both sides, bumjaw being one on the side of white men, some of those morons on GB (who I'm seeing too) being the other. They're both as bad as each other and both are spawned from the same implicit advocacy of identity politics, even if they don't realise it.

I'm in favour of a female Doctor so long as they're right for the part. It shouldn't be about box-ticking or 'diversity' for the sake of it which actually undermines any sort of political struggle. It should all be in aid of the drama. But so should the hiring of a man.

View user profile

20 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:48 pm

https://twitter.com/Andydrewz/status/886325308017827840

View user profile

21 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:54 pm

@Mike wrote:
@iank wrote:He's right, though, Michael. The level of blatant anti-white male racism and sexism on GB is astounding at the  moment. And these people are so dumb they don't even realise how hideous they are, utterly oblivious to their own hypocrisy. If anyone was on there spouting the same level of vitriol about the possibility of casting a black man they'd get banned.
There are utter wankshafts on both sides, bumjaw being one on the side of white men, some of those morons on GB (who I'm seeing too) being the other. They're both as bad as each other and both are spawned from the same implicit advocacy of identity politics, even if they don't realise it.

I'm in favour of a female Doctor so long as they're right for the part. It shouldn't be about box-ticking or 'diversity' for the sake of it which actually undermines any sort of political struggle. It should all be in aid of the drama. But so should the hiring of a man.

Oh Mike in no way am I as bad as the feminist "fans".

Put it this way do I bully the makers of female led series and franchises into doing them them the way I want them to go? Do I complain about shows where women are the heroes and men are the sidekicks?

Hell I wrote an article about 7 actresses who should play Xena in the upcoming remake of that series on my blog (you've probably read it since you are such a fan of my work Big Grin ) Did I crow bar a man into that list of actresses and then call any Xena fan who didn't want it a disgusting man hating dyke or some other sexist cliche? Or say I hope Xena is played by a man to make all the lesbian fan girls heads asplodey?

I also never slander people based on skin colour, gender or sexuality.

Do I say "oh typical lesbians just want a female Doctor", "typical women" "typical black men" etc? Nope I say third wave feminists. I go after an ideology which includes obnoxious women like Whovian Feminism and obnoxious men like your good self. Feminist critics like those on GB however go after people based on their skin colour and gender.

Do I block people I disagree with? Nope I have had many civil discussions with Claudia Boleyn (who is the definition of a third wave feminist but really is a lovely person, and very intelligent, unlike you)

So no I am not comparable and its desperate to say I am. Also nonsense that it should be open to both genders. Its a male character. Yes they wrote it in like three years ago that they can gender bend. But that doesn't mean the character hasn't been written and acted as a man for 50 years before that and that suddenly to turn him into a woman wouldn't be jarring, out of place and ruin the consistency of the character.

Feminism solved. Consumption of female-led culture industry trash is the saviour of womankind.

Well actually I never said representation would solve problems faced by women. In fact again I did an article on it. "Why Representation Doesn't Matter and Saying It Does Is Harmful". I think you'd love it!

However since your reasoning for me being sexist is that I apparently can't stand women on tv or in any for of entertainment I do find it funny that I still like way more forms of female led entertainment than you do.

And bravo Mike way to discredit all of those great female entertainers and artists I love in order to score points against a guy. Yep that's what feminism's all about Big Grin

View user profile

22 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:03 pm

I don't see how casting a woman is kowtowing to anyone.

It's not as if there isn't more than one precedent in the show now. It has happened to other time lords, ergo it can happen to the Doctor.

A person is cast, they play The Doctor (a gender neutral title, btw Wink ), and they fuck about in time and space fighting baddies via the conduit of the space-time continuum. The actor's genitals can't possibly be determinant of whether it'll be good or not.

Whoever does it might be terrible, but that'll be down to the writing and/or the quality of that person playing the role, not because they are in possession of a slit or a willy.

To suggest otherwise is idiotic in the extreme.


_________________
View user profile

23 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:20 pm

@Boofer wrote:I don't see how casting a woman is kowtowing to anyone.

It's not as if there isn't more than one precedent in the show now. It has happened to other time lords, ergo it can happen to the Doctor.

A person is cast, they play The Doctor (a gender neutral title, btw Wink ), and they fuck about in time and space fighting baddies via the conduit of the space-time continuum. The actor's genitals can't possibly be determinant of whether it'll be good or not.

Whoever does it might be terrible, but that'll be down to the writing and/or the quality of that person playing the role, not because they are in possession of a slit or a willy.

To suggest otherwise is idiotic in the extreme.

The precedents only happened in the show because of kowtowing IMO.

Technically I could take over DW and add in that they morph into say Dinosaurs. I could use all the same arguments. "Oh they never said they couldn't morph into Dinosaurs did they? "One little line from Ecceslton about having two heads PROVES that they can change shape".

It would then be canon, but again it would be stupid.

Now I have no problem obviously as we have been over with a female hero. I also have no problem with a male character turning into a woman.

Look at Smallville. Brainiac changed into a woman and I loved that story. I didn't even notice until recently thanks to Missy, then I suddenly realised "WOW another show turned a historic male villain into a woman almost 10 years ago and no one cared unlike Missy."

The reason for that is because Brainiac genuinely was gender neutral. He was a machine, a body snatcher, and James Marsters didn't play him as a man (apart from when he was pretending to be human). He played him as cold, logical character with no emotions, no real personality except to kill Clark.

So when his body was destroyed and he took over Chloe, Alison Mack was able to play the character perfectly as she just played him/her as a ruthless, emotionless machine creature.

Of course another way you could have a character change gender is if they wanted to do it like a real life trans person.

However neither of these works for the Doctor or the Master or Susan or Romana. None of them are trans characters who you can imagine wanting to change gender, and none of them are written in a gender neutral way like Brainiac. (though actually it could have worked for the Master as he is a body snatcher so you could have had him steal a woman's body, but Moff botched that by having her want to shag the Doctor. Another reason why the female Brainiac worked by the way she didn't suddenly notice what a hunk Clark was LOL)

Seriously imagine if Susan regenerated into Brian Blessed. Or if Romana regenerated into Ross Kemp. It would look silly and out of place. It would seem like a parody trying to imagine Brian Blessed as the same character as Carole Anne Ford more so than say imagining Morven Christie as being Susan.

Just because the Doctor is a shapeshifter doesn't mean he has no gender. Does Mystique from the X-Men have no gender? No she couldn't be more feminine. The Doctor whilst aspects of his personality change, clearly has a core persona, and his gender is part of that by default as he has been played by men, written by men, is recognised in popular culture as a man etc.

If he became a woman it would seem out of place, like a parody, and it would shatter the whole image that all of the Doctors are the same person so it would ruin the whole thing for me.

And really its ridiculous to try and pretend that gender is just genitals. There are many differences between men and women. Doesn't mean we are not equal (what about diversity eh?), but there are differences and the Doctor has clearly been written as a male character.



Last edited by burrunjor on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

24 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:23 pm

Excluding all the sophistry and palpable male ego fragility, there's no such thing as a male or female Time Lord any more. The old show defined the Doctor as a male character, and also some of the new, but the canon has been changed by the writing. It's not like changing the gender of James Bond because the Time Lords are an alien race who can change their form. Their gender fluidity is part of their DNA now. Just because we didn't see it before doesn't mean it wasn't happening.


_________________
View user profile

25 Re: New Doctor To Be Announced This Sunday on Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:31 pm

The Doctor was typically asexual and alien in his classic incarnations, and his various affairs in the new series were not defined by his gender, but by the web of relations between characters. Indeed, you couldn't say that he's been consistently reflective any sort of classical masculinity or maleness at all.

So there's no problem changing his gender a. because Time Lords can do that, and b. he was never much of a 'man' in the first place. Maybe the only Doctor you could vaguely put into that category is Pertwee, but even he was against violence, not interested in women, non-reactionary, thoughtful, etc. And his action and adventure persona, use of self-defense, etc are hardly the preserve of the male.

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 14]

Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 7 ... 14  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum