DogStar2000
TiberiusDidNothingWrong
DeadManRising
Farticus
Mike
25 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Go down  Message [Page 8 of 13]

176New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 10th January 2019, 8:51 pm

Zarius

Zarius

Seems in the latest issue of DWM, there's a few reviews for the latest episodes that are a little more critical than what passes for normal. Take It Away is labeled a story with a ridiculous twist and lacks focus, the BORAK is described as one of the least satisfying finales with minimal dignity for "weak link" Tim Shaw's robot flunkies, and Jodie in Resolution is praised for "having a day free of clumsy speechifying"

177New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 10th January 2019, 9:10 pm

iank

iank

Ooh, bitchy. Big Grin
I'm surprised the BBC let them get away with that.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

178New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 11th January 2019, 1:43 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Careful Ian! The Beeb might use our license fees to sue DWM and claim they've committed treason - don't give them ideas!

179New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 13th January 2019, 11:34 pm

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

DWM is mortally wounded. It has no future because there is no goodwill left amongst those who used to watch the show and buy all the merchandise, read their worthless zine, etc.
The world has moved on now.

180New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 4th February 2019, 9:31 pm

Zarius

Zarius

New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Dwm535

181New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 4th February 2019, 9:34 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Trying to woo the real fans back?

182New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 4th February 2019, 10:24 pm

iank

iank

Fat chance.

183New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 5th February 2019, 9:08 am

Zarius

Zarius

So long as the time team are still in the mag, fat chance LOL

184New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 7th February 2019, 11:25 am

Zarius

Zarius

Commander Maxil wrote:Trying to woo the real fans back?

Just got the mag and it's very Old-Who friendly. Very little new series stuff in it at all except Wayne Yip's interview. Also two of the fan letters criticise Resolution (yes, a whopping TWO)

185New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 7th February 2019, 11:59 am

burrunjor

burrunjor

Zarius wrote:

Just got the mag and it's very Old-Who friendly. Very little new series stuff in it at all except Wayne Yip's interview. Also two of the fan letters criticise Resolution (yes, a whopping TWO)

I think the huge sales of Classic Who on DVD and Blue Ray and Scratchman being a best seller coupled with Jodie's series failing has maybe helped to convince them.

186New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 7th February 2019, 2:21 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Zarius wrote:

Ugh! Stop enabling them by giving them money.

Just pirate a digital copy.

It's the only way they'll learn.

187New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 8th February 2019, 8:45 pm

Zarius

Zarius

There are actually five letters in total slating the new series. The magazine was also in reassurance mode with their ratings rundowns, trying to put a healthy spin on it but at the same time they pretty much admit defeat.

Time team only covered one episode...Love and Monsters. The gits all loved it.

188New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 10th March 2019, 12:22 pm

Zarius

Zarius

This month's magazine didn't seem to include the time team, Jodie didn't appear much in the comic strip (instead it was mostly a team up between Graham and Yaz), there was even a letter pointing out all the "bad dad" moments in the series and urging the show not to diminish the role of men.

189New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 10th March 2019, 12:43 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

DWM distancing itself from Series 11... the mainstream media finally admitting that the audience retention rate was poor... could the tide be turning?

iank

iank

Rats and sinking ships spring to mind.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

A scene from Episode 1 of The Macra Terror has apparently been cut out on the animated version.

Eagle-eyed viewers may notice that a sequence from the first episode of The Macra Terror - in which the Doctor is subjected to an enforced makeover in the "rough and tumble machine" - is missing from the new version.
"I know a lot of people won't like it, but we had to cut out a chunk of the scene," says Charles Norton. "It's our only big dialogue cut, but it would have been totally impractical to keep it as it was. "There was just too much work involved for the timescale we had," explains Martin Geraghty."And it's just a bit of frippery, isn't it?"

TheTimeTraveller

TheTimeTraveller

Commander Maxil wrote:A scene from Episode 1 of The Macra Terror has apparently been cut out on the animated version.

Eagle-eyed viewers may notice that a sequence from the first episode of The Macra Terror - in which the Doctor is subjected to an enforced makeover in the "rough and tumble machine" - is missing from the new version.
"I know a lot of people won't like it, but we had to cut out a chunk of the scene," says Charles Norton. "It's our only big dialogue cut, but it would have been totally impractical to keep it as it was. "There was just too much work involved for the timescale we had," explains Martin Geraghty."And it's just a bit of frippery, isn't it?"

A restoration team that don't actually properly restore the thing they claim to be restoring. Brilliant actually, something the likes of me would never have thought of.

Do it all, and properly, or don't bother doing it. Not like there's a real deadline.

Zarius

Zarius

Time Team were back this month reviewing McGann's two outings, there was a tutorial on how women can cosplay as Hartnell's Doctor, the comic strip was back to eight pages but Jodie still didn't appear all that much in the story, and Terrance Dicks dropped by in the letters page to say Bidmead's script editing was shit LOL

Zarius

Zarius

New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Dwm538

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

I think we all feel that way, Segun...

196New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine - Page 8 Empty Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine 30th April 2019, 12:27 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I'll probably check it out for the Saward interview.

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

What a shame - the last three issues have been..well,.. quite good really(focusing mostly on the Classic series and with covers to match) but now with Whittaker and gang stuck on the front, I think I'll give this one a miss.
Crying or Very sad

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Well, I got the latest DWM with Saward's interview (as I thought, the interview continues next issue, and this one mainly focuses on Season 19).

The interview's pretty illuminating but also frustrating, not least because for some reason Moffat gets brought in to blow Eric's trumpet and say how he adopted Earthshock's cinematic aspirations and shock value storytelling, as his own New Who model.

I was surprised to learn Saward had been an English teacher in the past. Which might explain why he often seemed to write the Fifth Doctor as such an inept, preachy, clueless schoolteacher struggling to control his classroom of bratty companions.

He claims in the 1980's the show needed to pick up some pace and couldn't be of the same length and pace it was back in the Pertwee era. Which to me translates as an admission he was clueless and out of his depth when it came to trying to emulate the substance, nuances and complex developments of Pertwee's time. So he was often tasked with emulating an era he was dismissive of.

Also odd that he didn't think Enlightenment worked (which I think makes clear who's to blame for why we never saw anything from Barbara Clegg again), and he said he struggled to do much to develop Tegan because there wasn't much he could get out of her air hostess background. Which baffles me because the era presented many opportunities to demonstrate Tegan's flight training on how to professionally handle potential hostage/hijacking scenarios.

Wasn't impressed, put it that way.

Also, he says there's a graphic novel he's done about Lytton that will be out later this year.

Zarius

Zarius

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I'll be getting that issue for the rest of the Saward interview.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 8 of 13]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum