The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down  Message [Page 5 of 7]

101 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Thu May 17, 2018 10:16 am

View user profile

102 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Thu May 17, 2018 1:09 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/Alien-Of-London-Issue-2-May-2018.aspx

Suck-ups spectacularly missing the point.

Some people clearly felt that the magazine was betraying its loyal older readership by ‘dumbing down’ and presenting a selection of young ’n’ trendy social media types who wouldn’t know a Garm from a Gastropod. The sense of entitlement - the outrage that these whippersnappers could be permitted to pass comment on OUR holy texts - was fascinating to witness. And, at times, a little disturbing.

There were also complaints from some quarters about the fresh team being diverse in race and gender - presumably from the same sorts of people who refuse point-blank to watch a female Doctor, get their knickers in a twist about racially diverse actors appearing in historical adventures, and think that accusing someone of being concerned with social justice is somehow an insult… You know the type - those who are convinced that even the vaguest mention of anyone who’s not a straight white cisgendered male is some sort of ‘box-ticking’ PC conspiracy. We shan’t concern ourselves with this monstrous minority any further - let’s just leave them screaming impotently into the void.

I still love the way that we are the entitled ones, and not the people who came to a franchise later than anybody else, and demanded that every inch of it, from the show itself, to its history, to its spin off material, to its fandom be completely changed to suit THEIR political agenda.

That'll be why we chased Colin Baker off of twitter right?

Yeah why would people be annoyed at a magazine hiring people who know nothing about the majority of a series to talk about it? (which classic who still is BTW.) Has to be racism and sexism and homophobia right?

View user profile

103 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Thu May 17, 2018 6:22 pm

Oh thanks for reminding me: http://www.showmastersevents.com/bournemouth/index.php/allguests/tv-and-film/9-fccb-guests/london-guests-filmandtv/260-colin-baker-2

Colin was just announced for the Bournemouth Showmasters event

Where do racism and homophobia come into this?

View user profile

104 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Thu May 17, 2018 9:58 pm

Mr. Happy wrote:Where do racism and homophobia come into this?

Ehmm from this quote?

There were also complaints from some quarters about the fresh team being diverse in race and gender - presumably from the same sorts of people who refuse point-blank to watch a female Doctor, get their knickers in a twist about racially diverse actors appearing in historical adventures, and think that accusing someone of being concerned with social justice is somehow an insult… You know the type - those who are convinced that even the vaguest mention of anyone who’s not a straight white cisgendered male is some sort of ‘box-ticking’ PC conspiracy. We shan’t concern ourselves with this monstrous minority any further - let’s just leave them screaming impotently into the void.

Oh and by the way the negative comments that I and others left on that article have been deleted LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

View user profile

105 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Thu May 17, 2018 10:30 pm

Shameless cuntery of the highest order.
I'm glad I have little to do with fandon today outside of here and PM. A once smart show is now a program made by cunts, aimed at cunts, and supported by cunts.

View user profile

106 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri May 18, 2018 7:03 am

@burrunjor wrote:
Mr. Happy wrote:Where do racism and homophobia come into this?

Ehmm from this quote?

You didn't really think I read that DWO shit, did you? LOL

View user profile

107 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri May 18, 2018 9:24 am

LOL
Every single "professional" fan has sold out 100%.

With the apparent sole exception of Nick Pegg. LOL

View user profile

108 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri May 18, 2018 9:31 am

@iank wrote:LOL
Every single "professional" fan has sold out 100%.

With the apparent sole exception of Nick Pegg. LOL

And Ian Levine of course.

View user profile

109 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri May 18, 2018 9:52 am

Ian's not really a "professional" fan, though, is he? I'm talking about the ones who've built their careers around it, which is why they've all sold out - gotta keep those paychecks coming. Wink

View user profile

110 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri May 18, 2018 9:56 am

@iank wrote:Ian's not really a "professional" fan, though, is he? I'm talking about the ones who've built their careers around it, which is why they've all sold out - gotta keep those paychecks coming. Wink

Ah yeah true. The good thing is that these people were such idiots they've sunk their careers as its a dead brand walking.

View user profile

111 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri May 18, 2018 10:36 am

As terrifying as the Levine is, he's nowhere near on the level of the cuntery scale the modern crop of 'fans' are.

At least he speaks his mind, and isn't part of the collective ideological swarm consciousness of NuWho fandom.

View user profile

112 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat May 19, 2018 1:36 pm

This gender PC bullshit that started in America has to end. God I fucking hate how American culture ruins everything it touches. Why must we all become as single minded as they are?

View user profile

113 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sun May 20, 2018 9:34 am

@Boofer wrote:As terrifying as the Levine is, he's nowhere near on the level of the cuntery scale the modern crop of 'fans' are.

At least he speaks his mind, and isn't part of the collective ideological swarm consciousness of NuWho fandom.

True and at least Levine's negative qualities are kept outside of his contributions to the show (and are far more entertaining with his legendary CAPS LOCK rants.)

A thousand Ian Levine's are less annoying than ONE Steven Moffat, Whovian Feminism, or Clayton Hickman.

In a way he's kind of the opposite to them. Ian Levine after all saved and preserved classic pieces of television like the Daleks for future generations to enjoy. Moffat, Whovian Feminism, Chris Chinballs and the like have vandalised an iconic piece of British television to the point where hardly anybody is going to be interested in it anymore.

View user profile

114 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:10 am

Ooh I say!
https://twitter.com/WhoFilming/status/1002645223665815554
I'm so shocked, I nearly forgot to promote my cross-eyed Redbubble range of easy-to-assemble goodies.

115 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:02 am

@Clayton Dickman wrote:Ooh I say!
https://twitter.com/WhoFilming/status/1002645223665815554
I'm so shocked, I nearly forgot to promote my cross-eyed Redbubble range of easy-to-assemble goodies.

Doctor Who is a dying brand in every respect it seems these days. I can't think why that would be?

Surely changing the sex of the leading character after 50 years without one good reason, crowbarring a terrible actress into a role for MUH DIVERSITY, getting people who know fuck all about, and seemingly have no respect for the classic era to talk about it, as well as openly insulting your devoted fanbase (who have really stuck with you through some terrible times like the entire Capaldi era.) And insulting them in all the stereotypical ways too, like sad manbabies etc.

I would have thought that was a brilliant way to promote something. It worked wonders for Ghostbusters 2016 and Marvel and DC right?

View user profile

116 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:32 am

Doctor Who died a dignified death in 1989. It's going to die a very agonizing death this time around and there's nothing they can do about it.

The butchery of the First Doctor was it for me.

117 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:42 am

#Metoo. Big Grin The last straw, in fact.

Truly delicious news, if true. Well deserved.

View user profile

118 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:50 am

Sounds a bit too much like speculation to me. And I don't want to sound vindictive but I hope somebody rubs Ben Cook's nose in it. He has been utterly dismissive of people and the person on that Twitter feed who said it is made by the same 6 fans for the same 6 fans is right.

View user profile

119 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:43 pm

I can save the show.

Next year cast a tall man with big hair, strange, yet handsome features, a frock coat and a sense of adventure. Place him in the Tardis with a single, attractive and buoyant companion, who is brave in the face of adversity, street smart, but also a little too inquisitive.

Stories should take their cue from a raft a sources, but mainly classic horror tropes transmuted to science-fiction scenarios. They should take themselves seriously, be unashamedly dramatic and appropriately funny at the right moments without becoming bathetic. Thematically, these stories should not draw on the facile aspects of our culture, but provide metaphorical social criticism without battering the viewer into moral submission.

Most of all the show should focus on telling ripping yarns of wonder, adventure and danger; pairing down the amount of needless, obtrusive emotional beats and fixation on the minutia of interpersonal relationships. Any pathos should be triggered by genuine character development and interaction developed as a consequence of the adventures, and not 'feel here now' writing that patronises the viewer.

Finally, the look and sound of the show would change. I would hire a composer who would marry the best elements of electronica and fuse them with orchestral bliss. The show would also go back to a variation of the McGann logo and the title music a fresh interpretation of the Derbyshire original, while still paying homage to it (Peter 'God' Howell managed it). All classic aliens would be redesigned and get a respectful update; Daleks would be military colours (non camo) expect for the hierarchy, Cybermen would retain some physical aspects of their origins, and the Silurians would be banned from having knockers.

I intent to take over by bananapoint, some time in the next 2 years. I do hope I have your support.

View user profile

120 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:51 pm

I can't associate with these people. We don't even like the same show.

I not only find it easy to detatch 'NuWho' from the Classic Series, but I take it for granted. As I said in another thread NuWho has always been, de facto, a misguided remake - and the present attempt to turn the show into less an expression of art and more a piece of autofellating propaganda has made the divide only wider. It always strikes me as incongruous when, viewing the Classic DVD's special features, they bring in a clip or reference to the new series.

View user profile

121 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:21 pm

@Boofer wrote:I can save the show.

Next year cast a tall man with big hair, strange, yet handsome features, a frock coat and a sense of adventure. Place him in the Tardis with a single, attractive and buoyant companion, who is brave in the face of adversity, street smart, but also a little too inquisitive.

Stories should take their cue from a raft a sources, but mainly classic horror tropes transmuted to science-fiction scenarios. They should take themselves seriously, be unashamedly dramatic and appropriately funny at the right moments without becoming bathetic. Thematically, these stories should not draw on the facile aspects of our culture, but provide metaphorical social criticism without battering the viewer into moral submission.

Most of all the show should focus on telling ripping yarns of wonder, adventure and danger; pairing down the amount of needless, obtrusive emotional beats and fixation on the minutia of interpersonal relationships. Any pathos should be triggered by genuine character development and interaction developed as a consequence of the adventures, and not 'feel here now' writing that patronises the viewer.

Finally, the look and sound of the show would change. I would hire a composer who would marry the best elements of electronica and fuse them with orchestral bliss. The show would also go back to a variation of the McGann logo and the title music a fresh interpretation of the Derbyshire original, while still paying homage to it (Peter 'God' Howell managed it). All classic aliens would be redesigned and get a respectful update; Daleks would be military colours (non camo) expect for the hierarchy, Cybermen would retain some physical aspects of their origins, and the Silurians would be banned from having knockers.

I intent to take over by bananapoint, some time in the next 2 years. I do hope I have your support.

Can you take over tomorrow please? Dylan Moran as the Doctor and Dana Delorenzo as the companion following your vision would shit on just about every single season of New Who except for possibly series 5.

Much better than the pound shop Victoria Wood and the Chase guy. Also get Mark Shepphard for the Master.

Also retcon all of New Who from existence. Make it that New Who is a weird alternate universe (lets call it the Z universe. As Bender from Futurama would say, it certainly has that Z universe feel to it.) Dylan Moran is the official 9th Doctor.

Although to get a job at the Beeb these days you'll have to sell your testicles in exchange for a whip so you can hit yourself over and over whilst apologising for being white and a male. Still small price to pay for saving a 60s icon.

I personally think that the New Who formula was never the best one to bring the show back with. Yes it was popular at the time, but it wouldn't last. It crowbarred the Doctor and the companion into too strict roles.

The original series whilst having more consistency in terms of characterisation for the Doctor, was ironically able to vary him more, because that characterisation was more basic.

The classic era Doctor regardless of incarnation was always an explorer, always practical and level headed, always mysterious, always more old fashioned, grandfatherly, and asexual.

You could do all kinds of stories with that character and you could make him old, young, more physical, more humerous, whilst still keeping those defining traits, and his companions were basically just the Watson, so again you could vary them as much as you want.

With New Who however? The Doctor has to always be in love, over emotional, on the brink of a nervous breakdown, always the pivot of the universe, and so its hard for other actors to make it their own as seen with Capaldi and Smith who both tried at first to do it differently, but by the end where playing Eccelston and Tennant knock offs. Also the Doctors companions always have to be the most important person in the universe, attracted to or in love with the Doctor, have an awful motherly figure, but a sympathetic father figure, have a wimpy, mangina, cuck boyfried who is jealous of the Doctor, be a normal twenty something sassy woman from earth etc.

The RTD formula dug the show into a rut very quickly, and when it tried to break free from that rut, then people turned against it as it wasn't DW anymore to the people who had only seen New Who, whilst at the same time they grew bored of that rut as they'd seen it all before.

How many times can you see the following story. There is something out about a young woman the Doctor meets that keeps following her throughout all of time and space. (Bad Wolf, what's that on your back, time cracks, mutliple versions of Clara.) It turns out that its because she is destined in the season finale to gain super powers and blow up the Doctors archenemies and save every universe, whilst he does fuck all.

If it had been more like Classic Who I think New Who would have been a bigger success, rather than barely struggling to get to 11 years (after 3 hiatus' too I might add.)

View user profile

122 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:19 pm

A tweet from Gareth Roberts seems to indicate that something has gone down with DWM's infamous new Time Team, though he's not saying exactly what.

View user profile

123 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:47 pm

View user profile

124 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:43 am

My guess is that the sales figures are in. LOL

View user profile

125 Re: New [old] Editor For Doctor Who Magazine on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:54 am

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

Gee its almost as though with this, the catastrophic fall in viewers for seasons 8-10, the negative reaction to Pissy Missy, the negative reaction to AW BWILLIANT's casting that people were trying to tell them something?

These SJW, woke producers and writers remind me of that bit from the Simpsons where Skinner says "Am I out of touch? No its the children that are out of touch."

This Episode IX trailer will wind up sexist Star Wars fans

Yeah I'm sure that will save these already failing franchises. Just insult the fans more.

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 5 of 7]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum