You are not connected. Please login or register

Let's rant about RTD

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 Let's rant about RTD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:46 pm

Never mind the cunt Moffat, let't rant about Rasputin's Testicular Discharge.

Never forget that it was this cunt who singlehandly fucked up Doctor Who and turned it into the steaming dog pile it is today.

His only claim to fame was writing about gay people fucking on channel for, something which he even shoehorned into Damaged Goods, his Doctor Who novel. He is a one track writer and couldn't resist shoehorning his crap into the show. Gay characters are fine, but he handled it terribly.

Lets look at series 1. How the fuck did this pass quality control. It's all over the fucking place in tone. You go from one week of anti plastic (I think RTD thinks the lower classes don't know what acid is) and farting aliens, to mass death by a Dalek and peoples faces being turned into gas masks, before returning to fart jokes and a gun up someones ass.
If I was a parent, I would have no fucking idea on who the show was aimed for. I'd guess stupid people.

Season 2. He took a favorite monster and dumbed it down to a stomping robot, utterly missing the point of what they were. Even now, they refuse to correct this. He then took the fan dream of a Dalek Vs Cybermen plot and made it BORING!

Season 3 gave us ADHD Master and Dobby Tennant, along with one of the worst episodes in the history of the show, Love and Monsters. A story about a paving stone giving a blow job, he just can't resist putting sex into everything, the gobshite. Oh and of course LOTTL. All master copies should be burned.

Season 4 gave us the loud mouth Tate/Donna Noble and Journey's Bellend. A story which I once pointed out has 52 plot holes in it (see Hive archive as I am not going over that again).

Finally, the specials. Planet of the dead was a total waste of license fee payer money, requiring them to transport 2 red buses to the human rights hell hole of Dubai. I'm surprised RTD himself wasn't arrested the moment he stepped foot there, if the coward ever did

He gave us "Oh fuck this shit, we failed already" Dalek in waters of Mars.

And finally

The tennant two part finale. A series of episodes which almost destroyed John Simms careea (seriously, google it. He is openly hostile to the material he had to work with. No wonder Moffat toned it down), and the longest fucking regeneration of all time ending with the most self centered BS "I don't wanna go" of all time.

Fuck RTD!!! He should never work in TV again!

View user profile

2 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:56 pm

Have we traveled back to 2009? LOL LOL LOL

3 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:58 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
@Genkimonk wrote:Lets look at series 1. How the fuck did this pass quality control. It's all over the fucking place in tone. You go from one week of anti plastic (I think RTD thinks the lower classes don't know what acid is) and farting aliens, to mass death by a Dalek and peoples faces being turned into gas masks, before returning to fart jokes and a gun up someones ass.
You don't even have to look past the first episode to see the tone is a mess. You have a burping bin and anti plastic along with someone being shot in the head at point blank range and a whole bunch of people being gunned down by Autons in a shopping centre and around London.

View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

5 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:43 pm

Aw, I didn't mind RTD; rather enjoyed Love and Monsters too. Much as I'd like to join in with a bit of fucking and cunting, at least his stuff had plots, and Second Coming earned him a universal pass on just about anything from me (unless he'd done a Moffat, then I'd call him out for a cunt snot to be sure).

View user profile

6 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:06 pm

Gay characters are fine, but he handled it terribly.

I don't think he did personally. I do think RTD was a bit of an SJW (check out his obnoxious comments about Primeval not having enough black actors. If only Rob Filth were here. Where the hell is he? He IS the Hive?)

Still I think his LGBT characters were fine.

Jack was brilliant. Like a fantastic mix of Angel and Dan Dare. Other characters meanwhile were LGBT and that was that. No virtue signalling, they were gay, it didn't change the story that was that nobody cared.

The only time his so called "gay agenda" bugged me was when he brought it into the Master and Doctor's relationship but more on that later.

I actually think RTD's female characters were his worst. He clearly bought into that BS that DW was sexist because "OH MY GOD IT HAS A MALE HERO AND A FEMALE SIDEKICK" and so he undermined the Doctor terribly for them.

In 4 season finale's the Doctor saved the day in just one, Christopher Eccelston failed to save the day in all but 2 stories of his season. Its shit to make any lead character that weak.

In old Who they would often make the companion strong by having them fill a role the Doctor didn't so they balanced him out rather than undermine him. Ace, Leela, Jamie, the Brig were action heroes more than the Holmesian, cerebral Doctor. Hell Romana was a time lady who had better technical knowledge, but the Doctor had more experience. With RTD's companions they were just shown to be the most important person in all of creation which not only undermined the Doc, but got tedious and boring.

Season 3 gave us ADHD Master and Dobby Tennant, along with one of the worst episodes in the history of the show, Love and Monsters. A story about a paving stone giving a blow job, he just can't resist putting sex into everything, the gobshite. Oh and of course LOTTL. All master copies should be burned.

Love and Monsters was actually season 2. I agree though one of the top 10 worst DW stories ever made for sure. Its funny when you hear about Elton's backstory of a shadow monster coming from another universe. Why the hell didn't RTD make THAT the main story instead of the Abzorbaloff bullshit?

The Simm Master was IMO okay. Yes he was crazy, but so what? The Doctors outer personality changes why not the Masters? As long as the core persona is the same then that's all that matters.

Simm was completely. He wanted power as he thought under his rule things would be better like all previous Masters. He was manipulative and twisted people's minds like the old Master. He hated the Doctor like the old Masters. He wanted to prolong his own life at any cost etc.

I did hate the gay subtext that he added however to the Doctor and the Master's relationship. That was completely wrong for their relationship. In fact it made a parody of stories like the Deadly Assassin.

Also it is the most fucking cliched thing in the world to make the villain and the hero (particularly when they are the same sex) want to fuck each other and its mind meltingly infantile. Its literally like "DUDE WHY YOU SO OBSESSED WITH HIM IS HE YOUR BOYFRIEND"

Of course he didn't make it canon completely like Moff later did with she who shall not be named, but he did set the precedent in a way.

Season 2. He took a favorite monster and dumbed it down to a stomping robot, utterly missing the point of what they were. Even now, they refuse to correct this. He then took the fan dream of a Dalek Vs Cybermen plot and made it BORING!

TBH I think RTD did a better job with the classic villains than Moff. Say what you will he always gave them stuff to do. The Daleks and the Cybermen kill millions of people in his stories. In Moff's era meanwhile the Daleks and the Cybermen often just stand about and get owned by the Doctor who can give a big macho speech about I AM SO BADASS.

Look at this scene with Eccelston and this one with Capaldi to see how much more respect Rusty had for the Daleks alone than Moff.

I don't think RTD did that bad a job with the Cybermen. He always showed them convert people which was what made them scary and unique. Sadly in later Classic stories like Revenge and Silver Nemesis they were just generic robo killers. Hell even Earthshock though its a great story, you could replace the Cybermen with any monster in that and it would be no different. In fact if it was the Sontarans then the Cyber leaders emo dialogue would make a bit more sense.

You couldn't say the same about RTD's cyber stories as they are about the horror of Cyber conversion. Having said that whilst I liked Doomsday, I do agree he fucked up the Dalek vs Cyberman bit by having the Cybermen be too easily stomped. I like the Daleks the best, but even I think the Cybermen should have killed a few Daleks.

Season 4 gave us the loud mouth Tate/Donna Noble and Journey's Bellend. A story which I once pointed out has 52 plot holes in it (see Hive archive as I am not going over that again).

Journey's End was a mess but what the hell I enjoy it.

The tennant two part finale. A series of episodes which almost destroyed John Simms careea (seriously, google it. He is openly hostile to the material he had to work with. No wonder Moffat toned it down), and the longest fucking regeneration of all time ending with the most self centered BS "I don't wanna go" of all time.

Oh yes no defence for the End of Time. It almost felt like RTD wanted to sabotage Moff and Matt with the bullshit "even if I change it still feels like dying. Some new man goes sauntering off and I'm dead". Utter bullshit that destroys the Doctor as a character and makes the new boy feel as welcome as an asteroid. Utterly shameful practice from someone running a long running show quite frankly.

View user profile

7 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:09 pm

I agree with Mr Spadge about the plots point.

Rusty wrote some moronic, all-heart no-head (if you don't count the paving slab in Love & Monsters) stuff, but it's simplicity was still generally a bit more palatable, to me, than Moffat's material disappearing up its own a-hole. At least one can understand why it was popular, whereas the current shoehorning in of old characters/actors/monsters/planets/stories for the sake of pleasing old fans just pisses this one off!

But ultimately I fear that RTD, Moff and Chibbers will simply be remembered as 3 different shades of shite

View user profile

8 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:31 pm

I quite like series 1 and 3, to be honest...
I hated series 2 and 4 - the latter being what prompted me to join the Hive to begin with back in the day - but I can't really feel the rage anymore. It's been over for donkeys years now, and frankly Moffat's era - especially 7 through 9 - was even worse and far more disrespectful to the classic series than RTDs.
I'm just hoping for rather more professionalism and rather less fanboy gloating and fandom-baiting (I'm in charge now and can do anything I want, ner ner ner ner!) from Chinballs than Mofftwat. The fact that the series is not as popular as it was and needs some serious reinvention will hopefully also help cut down the smuggery.

View user profile

9 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:36 am

I was a bell end when RTD's run was on. Part of that was me being so glad the show was back and another because my emotions were all over the place for one life-related reason or another, so hearing the show getting flack even back then triggered me in the days before triggered was a commonplace word. Rather embarrased at how I was now.

Having rewatched them with a pal over the years, I still somewhat enjoy RTD's era, but I do see the immense flaws, the smugness, the overabdundence of camp, the emphasis of companion idiol worship over the Doctor's effectiveness, and of course, the incredibly condescending and insulting cop out resolutions to no less than three finales.

RTD knew how to write human characters though, wasn't afraid to have a large body count even in stories where the monsters looked prepostrous, and ''Utopia'' still remains his finest cliffhanger. ''Tooth and Claw'' ''Midnight'' and ''Turn Left'' also show how good RTD can be at done-in-ones, and more to the point, how good he is under pressure [two of those afore mentioned episodes were written last minute].

Maybe RTD would have been better served as a script doctor the same way Moffat should have just been an ideas man as producer. Some of the better DW episodes of his era were apparently all from scripts he rewrote.

View user profile

10 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:25 pm

View user profile

11 Re: Let's rant about RTD on Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:37 pm

Russell T Davies says Jodie Whittaker’s Doctor Who casting makes him “look old-fashioned”

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-08-23/russell-t-davies-says-jodie-whittakers-doctor-who-casting-makes-him-look-old-fashioned/

View user profile

Sponsored content

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum