You are not connected. Please login or register

The Ballchinian Era.

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Ballchinian Era. Empty The Ballchinian Era. 18th June 2017, 12:40 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Post your speculation, knowledge and rumours here.

Given the ratings crash and the obvious behind the scenes shake up, I think we may see a very different show under the Pip and Jane crusher's tenure as show-runner.

A writer's room could be the best thing to happen to the show. It should certainly reign in the more self-indulgent and shoddy aspects of the writing over the last 12 years. The days of RTD and Moffat firing one out in the small hours (on the morning they start shooting) is probably over.

Emotional manipulation. I expect big, emotional moments and twists that fuck with the viewer's expectations. But more Richard Curtis-style than RTD. I don't think we'll see a return to saccharinism, but it certainly won't be dry sci-fi.

A new look and sound. Most of the changes in the show's look and feel have been introduced gradually i.e. TARDIS interior, titles, themes, attire changes, etc. I expect the whole mise en scene to change dramatically; to tear itself away from the visual and sonic dourness of the Capaldi era, and to explode with colour, vibrancy and punch. They're going to have to re-market the show to an entirely new generation, as it's clear that the millenials who used to watch it are drifting away to more cerebral and innovative stuff like Black Mirror and the mediocre (but substantially better) Marvel universe.

The Doctor. Chibnall doesn't fuck about when he casts actors.I honestly can't see him casting an unknown out of choice, and certainly no-one as lightweight as Chris Marshall in the role. It's probably time for someone young, optimistic and full of energy, as the old boy slips the shackles of first-cycle moroseness and self-doubt, and becomes more self-assured (hopefully without becoming too much of a Tennant clone).

Why are you girls thinking? Are you pessimistic, or do you want the bollocked-chinned, soppy-faced twat sacked before he even gets the chance to run tings?

Answers on a stamped addressed envelope to:

BBC Madchester,
PO BOX 10 0 11 00 02 - 0
Mucky Towers
Twat

2The Ballchinian Era. Empty Re: The Ballchinian Era. 18th June 2017, 1:53 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

Boofer wrote:I honestly can't see him casting an unknown out of choice, and certainly no-one as lightweight as Chris Marshall in the role.

John Barrowman it is then.

3The Ballchinian Era. Empty Re: The Ballchinian Era. 18th June 2017, 2:17 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Barrowman doing it in his faux, campy Scottish accent.

I think he'd made a perfect modern arsehole Doctor, splaying his hands out, making grandiose speeches, and telling the aliens how he's going to smash them into another dimension with his giant space cock.

Just look at this. Are you not tempted?
The Ballchinian Era. Article-2703216-1FEA182B00000578-586_470x607

Last edited by Boofer on 19th June 2017, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

4The Ballchinian Era. Empty Re: The Ballchinian Era. 18th June 2017, 3:35 pm

Defeatment

It shouldn't be as difficult to make Doctor Who as things have been.
The writers room is the best idea ever for the show. I still think even with a big relaunch, the figures the series got at it's height might not be there.
Although not as low as they have been this year.
Would a change of transmission day give a shot in the arm? I'm just going to have to wait and see like the rest.
Wish him well though. At least that will go on the forum record!

5The Ballchinian Era. Empty Re: The Ballchinian Era. 18th June 2017, 4:16 pm

Boofer

Boofer

Defeatment wrote:It shouldn't be as difficult to make Doctor Who as things have been.
The writers room is the best idea ever for the show. I still think even with a big relaunch, the figures the series got at it's height might not be there.
Although not as low as they have been this year.
Would a change of transmission day give a shot in the arm? I'm just going to have to wait and see like the rest.
Wish him well though. At least that will go on the forum record!

Saturday is hugely competitive TV-wise.

Part of the reason for the ratings slide is time of year the show is broadcast. Just as it's coming to its climax, the lighter, sunnier evenings are kicking in, and both adults and children end up outside rather than sitting in.

There's something to be said about Who being on in the cold winter evenings; mug of hot chocolate, cocooned into the sofa wondering if there are any monsters waiting for you on the landing or in the gloom outside. It's really not a show that should be shown after a barbeque, stuck next to your sweaty, lotion-greased siblings who smell like mixture of onions and coconut oil.

6The Ballchinian Era. Empty Re: The Ballchinian Era. 18th June 2017, 10:45 pm

iank

iank

I'm optimistic, simply because I just don't see how anything can be as lifeless, dead and devoid of interest as the Crapoldie era. Both Davies and Moffat managed to fart out at least one good season to start with, so that's another plus point for next year at least, and I agree the writer's room is long overdue.
Chibnall may not be the strongest individual writer, but there's a big difference between writing the odd guest script under direction and being the one responsible for setting the tone and style of the whole series, as Moffat's run has only too painfully demonstrated.
It can't possibly be any worse.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

7The Ballchinian Era. Empty Re: The Ballchinian Era. 19th June 2017, 11:49 am

Boofer

Boofer

iank wrote:I'm optimistic, simply because I just don't see how anything can be as lifeless, dead and devoid of interest as the Crapoldie era. Both Davies and Moffat managed to fart out at least one good season to start with, so that's another plus point for next year at least, and I agree the writer's room is long overdue.

While I don't quite agree it's been as unedifyingly awful as that, we are currently stuck in an era that sets such an incredibly low bar, that mere change will probably seem like an improvement. The writer's room is fundamental to making sure that the stories are polished, make coherent narrative sense, and that Who isn't bogged down by both it's old and new continuity. You respect it, of course, but it doesn't need to be part of every show. In that sense, series 1 of New Who had it absolutely right. Now, it's a continuity snowstorm: Moffat just shakes it and sees what happens.

Chibnall may not be the strongest individual writer, but there's a big difference between writing the odd guest script under direction and being the one responsible for setting the tone and style of the whole series, as Moffat's run has only too painfully demonstrated.
It can't possibly be any worse.

You have to give him a chance. If anything because he was writing under the restrictions of another producer. I feel his work on Broadchurch and Life on Mars have been better than his Who contributions.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum