You are not connected. Please login or register

Series 10

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 9 of 12]

201 Re: Series 10 on Tue May 30, 2017 3:23 pm

Some details from on how the Chibnall hand-over is going at the moment from Tom Marshall

Spoiler: Toggle
- "currently the BBC WW plan want a 5 year plan/cycle for the programme and that's been on the go since before production began in 2005, but traditionally that's been scuppered by BBC Drama only ever commissioning a year in advance. However, the BBC Studios changeover (and the formalised BBC America co-production) potentially make a big difference"
- "Chris Chibnall wants to put Who back on the agenda the way RTD/JG did back in 2005-9" (as reported last time)
- BBC WorldWide want extra Who spin-off material to keep the brand 'alive' during the time when the main show is off air. Suggestion of spin-offs and/or web series. ''Class'' is seen as a failure of promotion and also placement in the domestic market, so it sounds v unlikely indeed that any future spin-off would be iPlayer-centric, or based around a location rather than a character.
- "Moffat has some sort of plan for the Paternoster Gang as he has the rights to them. Weird, but that's what I've heard and it does appear that at least preliminary costings have been done for 6, 8 or 10 blocks"
- "It does seem that while Chibnall was always the number 1 choice for permanent show runner, BBCWW absolutely did NOT want the ''break'' in production of 2015 and TX in 2016 and that someone would appear to have been definitely sounded out to run the show for a production slate of 9 episodes plus a Christmas special (perhaps this is where the rumours' ideas of 10 episodes have come from?)... the plans would have been to have had a completely new direction and tone for series 10, seemingly no regeneration (I'm afraid Capaldi would have had his ''happy'' ending with River Song on Darillium and a big name star for the Doctor was intended to take over"
- the big name star? None other than Tilda Swinton, who "was (apparently) contacted through her agent via one of the BBC Governors - the Governor of Scotland as she already knows him well - and she [was] extremely interested but only for a maximum of 8 months contracted work (which would just about allow for a Christmas special 2016 and a regeneration which WASN't to be at Christmas, so I'm assuming it may have been used as an explosive hook for series 11/1 in 2017)"
- "you may feel this all sounds a bit 'wish fulfilment', but I have had separate people whom I trust very highly tell variations of the same story. To get someone of her calibre [even for only one series of 9 episodes] I feel would have been stunning, extremely good for the programme itself and a superb way to drum up interest - the fact that Swinton is also an excellent actor should not be sniffed at either. Her ethereal, ''odd'' (no disrespect intended) look would have been the absolute icing on the cake"
- "3 years [for Chris] if he's putting his foot down would make sense... I'd imagine he wants to keep the ball in his court if he were to renegotiate after 3 years. But a shorter term showrunner is probably the right thing to have post-SM. The BBC are however to have a 3 year initial contract (which have already all been preliminary costed and done very expertly by all accounts) but with a further 2 year option on their side alone [i.e. not necessarily with Chibnall, is how I understand that part]"
- "as for Chris...everyone I know who's worked with him LOVES him. Which sadly isn't the case with SM. I think CC will get people to go above and beyond for the show because of their commitment to him. I have no doubt he's going to make a success of this revamp because a) he's clever, b) he knows how to treat people and c) he knows how to position a show in this new TV landscape."
- "No idea about the Julie Gardner rumour (she's apparently furious about how the series is being treated at the moment by the BBC and has a lot of suggestions about how to repair the damage), but it'd be great if she was involved. Not sure how she would be, although Bad Wolf is based in Cardiff!"

View user profile

202 Re: Series 10 on Tue May 30, 2017 5:37 pm

Now if they could make the show a fraction as interesting as the behind the scenes then we'd be in business!

View user profile

203 Re: Series 10 on Tue May 30, 2017 9:33 pm

An Adventure In Space and Time: The Series would make a top BBC drama.

View user profile

204 Re: Series 10 on Tue May 30, 2017 9:45 pm

Zariusk wrote:An Adventure In Space and Time: The Series would make a top BBC drama.

It would! The 1985 cancellation is screaming out for a docudrama. Only thing is not a Mark Gatiss affectionate script. A really brutal, unflinching drama about a show that was not getting the care, and the venom for it from top management. Ah, but that's why we'd never see such a show on the BBC!
Got any more contenders?

View user profile

205 Re: Series 10 on Wed May 31, 2017 4:39 pm

More details have emerged from the original plans for the Capaldi-less series ten, also it doesn't look like the BBC were too impressed with The Pilot

- "The ''no regeneration'' idea was apparently discussed as a pure and simple way of rebooting the series in an exciting, fresh and mysterious way with a Star Name as the central figure. No disrespect to Capaldi was ever intended ... By around 3/4 of the way through series 9 Capaldi was emotionally, physically and mentally drained and privately wasn't even sure he wanted to come back [though I don't think it adversely affected his performance - my addition] ... the team who were being mooted to produced the (ultimately aborted) series 10 wanted to help him out all they could without resorting to a '"Time and the Rani'' situation" (one suggestion, though this isn't confirmed or anything, was it might be like the end of ''The War Games'' leading into a somewhat more established Doctor even being a lecturer at the university and us only later discovering what had happened - and that playing out as the mystery of series 10 perhaps? But as I say, that part is mere conjecture)
- "When events transpired as they did, it was realised that a ''softer'' reboot would suffice" [and the break seems to have reinvigorated him and he's happier now ]
- unfortunately, "''The Pilot'' has been deemed to not have worked as well as it could have done ... that's what those in power think"

- "Capaldi has made the decision to go, he's not being pushed, Chibnall himself would have been happy if he had decided to stay, but Capaldi himself (by many accounts) is knackered. He's not very comfortable with the promotional side of things ... he loves meeting the fans on ''one-to-one'' basis, but is far less happy doing the rather bigger extravaganzas. There was NO DISRESPECT at all aimed at Capaldi, he's liked and respected in both the industry and by the team involved in the series. If truth be told, he does lag a little behind other Doctors' in Audience Reaction scores ... but there was no ''Get Him Out'' agenda."
- "Chibnall IS a great bridge builder, where Moffat can sometimes burn bridges behind him - no judgement, that is just how he is. We're all different and handle things in different ways."
- "Tilda Swinton though, yes, she was definitely named, but always as a one season 'Star' along with probably another few names, but the budget wouldn't have allowed them to stay around longer, they themselves would be doubtful to want want to commit to X years of a run, and it was a jotted plan simply to get the series as Big Headline News again"
- "Now that all this has moved on (we're a long time between these plans being even tentatively discussed and where we are today) I would imagine out of professional courtesy [to Moffat, Capaldi, Chibnall] very few of the names on the ''Caretaker'' list or the ''Star'' list are going to talk about it for a very long time - shades of Ron Moody or Leslie French way back in the old days"

View user profile

206 Re: Series 10 on Wed May 31, 2017 6:00 pm

For me, Capaldi in the current season is the only decent thing there has ever been in the modern series. There almost seems to have been a concerted effort to sabotage him (stupid clothes, the guitar, the shades and frightfully cringey dialogue - although the latter is par for the course), but he has managed for the most part to shine through the thick fecal mists, and at its best, his portrayal is the closest thing there has been to The Doctor since the series returned. That he has proved less popular with viewers speaks volumes, yet is hardly surprising, given the audience Davies courted in 2005.

View user profile

207 Re: Series 10 on Wed May 31, 2017 10:19 pm

I can't say I share that sentiment. He's been better this year than in his previous two seasons, yet I still can't get excited by him particularly. Likewise Bill is an improvement on Clara by virtue of not being utterly detestable yet is still pretty unremarkable in general. Still very much prefer Eccleston and series 5 Smithy myself (and the latter is still the closest to the classic Doctor IMO)....

View user profile

208 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 12:00 am

I don't think he's brilliant (although I maintain he could have been if different people were making the series), I just find him more acceptable as The Doctor in this season than any of his Nu-Who predecessors. I quite liked Smith initially, although I suspect that had much to do with him just not being Tennant, similar to your estimation of Bill (with which I concur). Alas, it didn't take long for him to be written like a twat again and, alas, he seemed to perform that with zeal. I also personally just can't take younger actors seriously in the role (with the possible exception of Davo, whom I think succeeded in his day by way of contrast, and because he's a fine actor). I'm afraid that, for me, Eccleston almost* vies with Tennant as the worst Doctor of all. I don't mind him in other things, but I think he was stupendously miscast. I was aghast that this was actually supposed to be The Doctor, and still am. Then again, the character in the modern series bears very little resemblance to that of the original run, which I believe is where I came in...

*I say "almost", but the spunk-haired one takes that trophy every time.

View user profile

209 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:29 am

Just read Doctor Who Magazine's previews for the episodes. I'm getting a Girl Who Died meets The Highlanders vibe from Eaters of Light.

Of course the one I'm interested in is World, Enough and Time

It involves a spaceship on the edge of a black-hole and time distilation, inspired by classes Moffat's kids have taken in school. For the top half of the show, minutes are passing, but the bottom half of the ship sees years passing.

-Missy is now a companion. She's joined the crew as a reward, presumbly for helping the characters out in Lie of the Land or general good behaviour. At one point she identifies herself as Doctor Who and introduces Nardole and Bill as Exposition and Comic Releif...and goes on to say those are genders, not character functions.

This is also where she will dab

View user profile

210 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:35 pm

@Vulnavia wrote:I don't think he's brilliant (although I maintain he could have been if different people were making the series), I just find him more acceptable as The Doctor in this season than any of his Nu-Who predecessors. I quite liked Smith initially, although I suspect that had much to do with him just not being Tennant, similar to your estimation of Bill (with which I concur). Alas, it didn't take long for him to be written like a twat again and, alas, he seemed to perform that with zeal. I also personally just can't take younger actors seriously in the role (with the possible exception of Davo, whom I think succeeded in his day by way of contrast, and because he's a fine actor). I'm afraid that, for me, Eccleston almost* vies with Tennant as the worst Doctor of all. I don't mind him in other things, but I think he was stupendously miscast. I was aghast that this was actually supposed to be The Doctor, and still am. Then again, the character in the modern series bears very little resemblance to that of the original run, which I believe is where I came in...

*I say "almost", but the spunk-haired one takes that trophy every time.

I know what you mean. Capaldi is such a waste. He could have been one of the best Doctors, but they just didn't give him anything to do. Hopefully like Colin he'll get a better run in Big Finish, though that's not to suggest that anything in Colin's time was as shit as Peters.

As for Matt I liked him throughout his era. Personally I'd rank him as the third best Doctor after Jon (1) and Tom (2).

I do agree though that some of Moff's 90's sitcom style humour he gave Matt like miming an erection with his sonic screwdriver was tedious.

View user profile

211 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:03 pm

@Zarius wrote:Just read Doctor Who Magazine's previews for the episodes. I'm getting a Girl Who Died meets The Highlanders vibe from Eaters of Light.

Of course the one I'm interested in is World, Enough and Time

It involves a spaceship on the edge of a black-hole and time distilation, inspired by classes Moffat's kids have taken in school. For the top half of the show, minutes are passing, but the bottom half of the ship sees years passing.

-Missy is now a companion. She's joined the crew as a reward, presumbly for helping the characters out in Lie of the Land or general good behaviour. At one point she identifies herself as Doctor Who and introduces Nardole and Bill as Exposition and Comic Releif...and goes on to say those are genders, not character functions.

This is also where she will dab

Oh god please tell me you are joking? What the hell even is the Master supposed to be anymore? The Doctors friend, girlfriend, jealous ex, stalker, enemy?

I can't put up with the Pisstress for the next 6 or whatever episodes. Way to ensure Capaldi fades with a whimper Moffat.

Lets just hope that when John Simm comes back he reveals that she is just an impostor and takes over as the true Master.

View user profile

212 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:42 pm

First post – joined a while back but never got round to contributing due to baling on the show after “Kill the Fucking Moon”.

Lurked for a while monitoring the opinions of various worthies here in case there was a glimmer of hope, then sort of petered out a few months back during the interregnum.

Checked back a few days ago to find the forum all changed/streamlined/spunked to buggery, but hey, there were positive mumbles from some of the most critical bastards here, so I thought, “Hmmmm” (I'm not an articulate thinker). Downloaded a VPN (I'm in Cyprus) and started watching  Season 10 on BBC iPlayer (card carrying licence payer here so don't judge me).

Well, by jingo missus, seven episodes later, and at 5am I retired to bed with the vestiges of a smile caressing my devilishly handsome features.

Not fucking bad at all. Mostly bottle shows, for the first five episodes, but I've had a bucket-load of the shit that passes for “story arcs” since J. Michael Straczynski demonstrated how it should be done way back when.

My enthusiasm waned a little as we kicked in with the Moffat-driven zombie-monk episodes (6&7?), although that might have been aggravated a tad by the late hour. They were okay, but I see we've got magic fucking aliens again – can ya cure the Doc's blindness? - fuck yeah – cool (insert appropriate FFS emoticon here).

Anyhow – best Who in a long time, and Capaldi is owning the role. Shame he's buggering off at the end of this run, but then so's Moffat, so yay etc.

Oh yeah, and hi everyone (1st post niceties and all that)

View user profile

213 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:29 pm

Welcome, Mr. Spadge, great first post. Wink

View user profile

214 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:17 pm

Welcome! Always good to have fresh cunts to play with!

Er, that came out wrong... What a Face Big Grin

View user profile

215 Re: Series 10 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:41 pm

@burrunjor wrote:Lets just hope that when John Simm comes back he reveals that she is just an impostor and takes over as the true Master.

I don't think she's in all of the next few episodes after Lie of the Land, I think it takes Doc until the finale to be convinced to take her to see the universe. We've already been told from interviews that Missy does something to set her and Doc all the way back to sqaure one.

View user profile

216 Re: Series 10 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:22 pm

@Zarius wrote:...We've already been told from interviews that Missy does something to set her and Doc all the way back to sqaure one.

Preferably, in a fourth wall breaking "Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe" kinda way, she goes back in time and bludgeons Moffat to death with a donkey's cock, which act then resets the timeline. Simm is Master again - stood holding the aforementioned Equus africans sinus willy (yeah, I looked that up), and wondering how the fuck he got there - not square one, granted, but it makes more sense than most of the wank that Moffat has penned.

View user profile

217 Re: Series 10 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:31 pm

@Mr Spadge wrote:
@Zarius wrote:...We've already been told from interviews that Missy does something to set her and Doc all the way back to sqaure one.

Preferably, in a fourth wall breaking "Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe" kinda way, she goes back in time and bludgeons Moffat to death with a donkey's cock, which act then resets the timeline. Simm is Master again - stood holding the aforementioned Equus africans sinus willy (yeah, I looked that up), and wondering how the fuck he got there - not square one, granted, but it makes more sense than most of the wank that Moffat has penned.

Far better than Death in Heaven Very Happy

Simm may not have been the best Master (though -I- think the problem was really more his stories than anything else) but at least he was actually THE MASTER and not some weird combo of Steven Moffat's sexual fantasies and a bad Tumblr fan fic!

View user profile

218 Re: Series 10 on Fri Jun 02, 2017 7:45 pm

View user profile

219 Re: Series 10 on Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:55 pm

Empress of Mars got a good score in this preview article

http://www.mymbuzz.com/2017/06/06/doctor-who-10-09-the-empress-of-mars-preview/

View user profile

220 Re: Series 10 on Wed Jun 07, 2017 5:17 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08sks49

Moffat and Chibnall working on a ''new way'' of tackling regeneration [skip to twenty-seven minutes in]

View user profile

221 Re: Series 10 on Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:09 am

@Zarius wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08sks49

Moffat and Chibnall working on a ''new way'' of tackling regeneration [skip to twenty-seven minutes in]

They're trying to devise a way to "degenerate" him back to Tencunt, although even he is probably too old to recapture their mentor Dusty Rusty's coveted BGT/Twilight audience now. Ironic, because if he didn't have such a hateful hairstyle and characterisation this time around, he might just be approaching an age where he's actually able to play that part without me wishing to visit extensive violence upon his person. The likelihood of (clears throat) 'Thirteen' (yeuch) not being even more ridiculously tenuous and inappropriate than that twonk (and Eccleston, for that matter) is not unlike that of Maybot and her squad of smash-and-grabbers not, ahem, *trumping* in the Tainted Kingdom today. Arf-arf.

View user profile

222 Re: Series 10 on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:55 am

Some blurry screencaps from World Enough and Time

https://www.reddit.com/r/doctorwho/comments/6g5zyz/spoilers_world_enough_and_time/

View user profile

223 Re: Series 10 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:57 pm

Some interesting rumblingd about Chibnall wanting to make the TARDIS more ''classic'' to appease older fans [from Tom Marshall on GB]]

Chibnall-era stuff from my source:

it looks rather likely the TARDIS exterior [at the very least] is going back to how it looked in the much-yearned-for ''Classic'' days. In mid March...there was a rather detailed costing done for designs based on the original Hartnell box, the late Pertwee/early Baker box and the late Baker/early Davison one. It shows an intent on going back, though whether it will finally come to pass [we shall see]. The cost, time and man-hours of producing multiple flats to create a few of the shells, and the CG rendering (not as expensive as I thought, but still a cost which has to be considered) as well as licensee feedback will all have been taken into account, though as Chris really wants merchandising to be seen as something of a priority again (as do BBCAmerica and BBCWorldwide) it very well could be something which will happen. The TARDISes currently in use will likely have to be replaced anyway, so maybe for a (modest) additional cost it will be seen as 'worth it', especially as they've been clever at working out ways to amortise costs over the next 2 production cycles. That little bit of info is something I could see old-school fans going ape for, and the more new-school ones shrugging their shoulders or even asking ''why have they done THAT to the TARDIS?'' Apparently Chris knows he has a lot of work to get the more 'absolutist' New-Who Haters on his side, but from everything I hear, he's more than equal to the task.

View user profile

224 Re: Series 10 on Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:35 pm

I don't envy him. If he succeeds in winning back classic fans he'll likely alienate the New Poo moron brigade (though some of the more crazed Moffat-lovers seem to have written him off already!)

View user profile

225 Re: Series 10 on Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:17 pm

Christmas Special started filming today, David Bradley was spotted and he took some photos with fans [out of costume, mind]

View user profile

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 9 of 12]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum