18% 18% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 The Doctor Falls on Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 am

End of the line

View user profile

2 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:13 pm

8. Sue me.
Best series finale for some time. Had problems, but nothing for me that took it any lower.

View user profile

3 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:45 pm

Barrowman. And I wasn't even intending to watch it!

Oscar Wilde
View user profile

4 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:22 pm

Not a bad finale, but a lot of missed opportunities. I kind of prefer the more divisive, but equally character-driven Hell Bent over it actually.

They spend an awful lot of time making reference to the Master's TARDIS, only to never show it.

Capaldi's big stand near the end is a doozy. He name drops Telos, Planet Fourteen, the Moonbase etc, all while taking out a platoon with his sonic and taking hit after hit. Damn shame he's staying on for one extra episode, this was a perfect oppetunity to go.

I called it on Heather coming back, and in precisely the manner I predicted.

Also, there's a regeneration sequence tease that takes a leaf right out of Logopolis. And he remembered Clara after all

Oh, and erm...Barrowman because Barrowman was in this? LOL

View user profile

5 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:33 pm

Barrowman for just about every other reason, tbh.

This episode confirmed, for me, everything the series should leave behind - tho as chibnall is one of the clique I doubt I'll be tuning in regularly.

Oscar Wilde
View user profile

6 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:16 pm

Moffat has given us the first lesbian Cyberman. That is all.

View user profile

7 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:10 am

May have taken 10 years to pull off, but that felt like a satisfying ending to the series. I actually enjoyed it from start to finish. I thought it rounded off everything rather well. A bit annoyed about Bill@s fate, but then one needs to remember this is a modern family show.

That said, I loved the doctor talking about cybermen desiring children above all else. A shame we didn`t show one get converted, it would have been cool. I know this is a family show, but why not touch on the mortality of children. Death is something we all face at sometime, and it would really add a level of fear for the younmuch g ones to see something like a child cyberman.

I really liked the Doctor`s speech to the master(s). I think the reviewers were right when they said it will be a defining moment of Moffats run.

I am a bit puzzled as to the events surrounding the masters. So is missy one after Simm or a far distant one? And would the Master really do what he did?

Simm was much better in this than the crappy Rectal Tension Disorder episodes he was in. I can`t believe I`m saying this, but I wouldn`t mind him coming back if he is of the same tone.

The cybermen were fairly shrugged off for the most part, but it works quite well. It was a character driven piece, but one that isn`t shoved so far up your arse that you cry in pain.

All in all, this gives me hope for the future. I hope the AI score reflects on this well and acts as a guidance for more episodes like this.

Also, I never saw An Adventure in Time and Space. Whoever is playing the first Doctor does a BLOODY GOOD job. If anyone has a link to that thing can they PM me?

View user profile

8 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:26 am

@Genkimonk wrote:
That said, I loved the doctor talking about cybermen desiring children above all else.

Moffat's made the Cybermen PAEDOPHILES!

Call the Daily Mail!

Big Grin Shocked Laughing

View user profile

9 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:09 am

This was not bad. I thought Bill's dismay of being a Cybermen in reality and the conflict between the Doctor and Master was very well done and the Doctor mentioning Bill's tears proves she still has her emotions was very moving. I really felt the anxiety and tension every time the Doctor was trying to stop his regeneration.

However, there were some parts which were shit and I laughed when I seen the Master putting on eyeliner. For a moment I was expecting him to put on lipstick a pair of fishnets and high heels and sing the time warp or sweet transvestite. I think Simm is a bit of a shit actor as The Master. He acts as if he is in some sort of spoof episode or pantomime. Atleast Gomez wasn't as annoying as she usually is. Bill's parting scene was vaguely similar to Clara's. The New Cybermen were pointless in this and were basically just here for show.

View user profile

10 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:02 pm

One big plot hole I noticed was that Missy tells Simm that he won't remember any of this, and neither will she, but a few scenes earlier, she says he will remember being pinned up against a wall by a scary woman (ie her there and then) and will from that day forever keep a spare dematerialisation circuit. So how is that possible being neither of them will remember?

View user profile

11 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:09 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
Did the characters forget that Nardole was still on a ship approaching a black hole or did they not give a shit?

If puddle pilots can restore people from being Cybermen, travel anywhere and operate the TARDIS, why not save everyone on the ship instead off leaving them to die so they can go off on a lesbian romp in the stars?

I know the sonic screwdrivers have been a plot device that can do pretty much everything, but they're guns as well now?

I did enjoy Missy and the Master laughing their arses off over killing each other.

12 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:34 pm

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:Did the characters forget that Nardole was still on a ship approaching a black hole or did they not give a shit?

In the first part they did say that the ship was slowly moving away from the black hole so that would be fixed eventually anyway so they can get safely back to Mondas. And we all know how that turns out. LOL

View user profile

13 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Mostly a load of wank.

But, 1st Doc cameo + momentum from part 1 (admittedly, largely dissipated by a meandering non-plot revolving around Master/Missy), + Pearl and Matt, + Capaldi busting a nut, haul it up to a 4.

Hoping bad science, plotless fanwanky scripts and cunting PC bullshit get flushed down the crapper along with Moffat come the revolution.

View user profile

14 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Everything I could've asked for.

View user profile

15 Re: The Doctor Falls on Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:46 pm

It was.... quite good, I guess. Nowhere near as good as last week's, predictably, and back to the usual New Who 'spectacular', but as far as that goes, it was actually... okay. Certainly the best finale since The Big Bang all the waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in series 5. All a bit messy and plotless but entertaining enough thanks to the cast (I do hope Simm comes back again some time). Bill's fate was well done, and I actually saw it coming after last week's. Some people are annoyed by that but at least it was set up in the season premiere, and it would have been too grim by far to have had her stay and die as a Cyberman (esp given Clara got to avoid her death despite bringing it on herself by being such a smug bitch!).

All in all series 10 was okay. It was a massive improvement on the utterly dire three previous seasons just by virtue of being an average, passable enough season, if nothing extraordinary. Still very glad we have only one to go and this era will finally be over though!

View user profile

16 Re: The Doctor Falls on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:47 am

Sorry, it was among the worst of the Moffet era.  It was just a bad retelling of the last companion.  let's see...Claira dies, gets new life, and runs off with her new "Friend".  Bill dies, get new life, runs off with her "Friend".  same damn story! oh, and since when does shoving your hands in snow stop a regeneration?????

Chris Daly
Owner of https://www.WibbilyWobblyTimeyWimey.com
PM me and discount code!
Whovian, Trekkie, over all sci-fi nerd

Last edited by CurrentMe on Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

View user profile https://www.wibbilywobblytimeywimey.com/

17 Re: The Doctor Falls on Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:39 pm

Not terrible and agreed with the above comment about it being the best finale since 'The Big Bang', which had its fair share of problems.

Why make out the story is the Cybermen version of Genesis only to have them play a somewhat secondary role in the story? There was also no character development for them e.g. davros, war ect. in genesis.

Moffat for me again proved he has had a handful of ideas since the very beginning and we just see a continual remix of them. A forest on a spaceship - series 5/10.

I think it would of been more effective and dare I say poetic if Missy had stayed and helped the Doctor and we had seen Simm regenerate into an alternative master. At least that way, every-time the Doctor would encounter the master in the future and have to thwart his plans, he would do so in the knowledge that he wasn't striving in vain and that somewhere down the road it would be worth the struggles becasue ultimately the Master/Missy would see the error of his/her ways and become a force of good. His actions would be contributing to this.

The regeneration process has been cheapened beyond all belief. Felt like he was regenerating every 5 minutes this season. I just roll my eyes whenever I see that disney hand glow.

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum