You are not connected. Please login or register

The Sonic The Hedgehog movie and Studio Criticism

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

This was a significant improvement over the previous abomination of the first trailer. Not only is the design much better and more authentic to the original design that Sonic has had since 1998, even the jokes and tone more comfortable and less juvenile.
But most importantly, the animators and studio actually listened to feedback and responsed to criticism by fixing up the design. That I find genuinely amazing. Normally, a studio would not listen to whatever criticism they are receiving, especially in the case of this current decade. Look at Rian Johnson and him essentially sticking up his middle finger whenever someone tries to slightly criticise The Last Jedi. But, Paramount Studios actually took responsibilities for their actions and tried to rectify it. I might actually see this movie now based on the fact that a studio has actually taken criticism well. Much less for a video game franchise that the public audience generally (wrongly in my opinion) treat as a joke and make fun of for past bad games that aren't even that bad. And I'm just glad that my favourite video game franchise is finally getting positive improvement.

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Unless it includes the Springyard, Labyrinth and Scrap-Brain level too, I'm not interested.

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Looks like it could be fun. I'm a big Jim Carrey fan.

Zarius

Zarius

This movie is getting strong positive feedback, a rare hit with critics and audiences. Family's will probably have a great time with their kids here. I'm seeing it in a few hours, I'll let you know my thoughts.

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Zarius wrote:This movie is getting strong positive feedback, a rare hit with critics and audiences. Family's will probably have a great time with their kids here. I'm seeing it in a few hours, I'll let you know my thoughts.
Yeah, this is really surprising. I was going to see it anyway due to how much of a Sonic fan I am (well 1991-2009 anyway), but seeing many people enjoy it (more the audience that I'm focused on), is great to hear. Hoping that it's successful in the box office.

Zarius

Zarius

I saw the movie a few hours ago...it's absolutely brilliant. Bring the kids, they'll love it. Sonic is charming, and upstages even Jim Carrey (who's best scenes were already in the trailers), what's more is he shows real emotional range, a trait rare in interpretations of the character, but are necessary for a convincing film.

Spoiler:

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

Zarius wrote:I saw the movie a few hours ago...it's absolutely brilliant. Bring the kids, they'll love it. Sonic is charming, and upstages even Jim Carrey (who's best scenes were already in the trailers), what's more is he shows real emotional range, a trait rare in interpretations of the character, but are necessary for a convincing film.

Spoiler:
Everything that you just said, I'm in absolute agreement of. Whilst it didn't absolutely blow my mind if anything, it was just so much fun. I was worried that the movie wasn't going to understand Sonic as a character, and just use the college hipster 30 year old 'down with the cool kids' personality that he has been having since 2010. And Baby Sonic in the trailers worried me. But my concerns were mostly gone when I just watched the film. It wasn't a laugh out loud kind of movie, I do think that the 2 mentions about Olive Garden were unnecessary, and the Floss dance did make me roll my eyes, but the rest of the jokes got at least a smirk out of me. The best element was obviously Sonic himself. After the utter bastardisation of most of the characters since Colours, it's so refreshing to see a more charming and expressive Sonic. He's cocky, arrogant and a bit of a blabbermouth in this movie, but he can also be human, down-to-earth and charming, traits that I haven't seen for ages, and harkens back to his characterisation in Secret Rings, Unleashed and Black Knight, the three games that I thought excelled in characterisation. Special mention to Ben Schwartz for doing these traits, he may be now my new favourite voice for Sonic tied with Jason Griffith. Jim Carrey is also just so much fun as Eggman. It's not my favourite role of his, but in between Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and this, he never really brought his A game. But he can simultaneously be over-the-top and intimidating all at once. He clearly just loves to wing it in this movie. The humans are surprisingly great as well, which I was worried about at first considering similar movies about anthropomorphic animals interacting with humans but Tom is surprisingly likeable as well as his wife, who has good chemistry with both Tom and Sonic.
That said, you can tell that this movie is going to play a bigger part in something bigger. There was surprisingly a lack of mention about The Chaos Emeralds, the Echidna Tribesmen are only in for a minute in the beginning, Mushroom Hill Zone and Tails appearing post-credits. My guess is that this movie is an origin story and future movies will be more streamlined retellings of past games stories. Which I'd be excited about, I'd love to see a B-movie action thriller in the style of Adventure 2, or a global odyssey like Unleashed.
Shame about the generic music though. I loved the inclusion of Hyper Potions' Friends in the beginning, and the orchestral stuff is decent enough, but I don't know. Sonic games are usually universally praised for its music, so I was hoping for some Pop Funk like CD or Mania, or Jimi Hendrix Rock-esque music like in the style of Adventure 1, Heroes or 06.
Still, despite all that, I had a pleasant experience. It was nice to see a theater just packed with people to see this, and I'd probably see it again. 8/10

Genkimonk

Genkimonk

I found it meh to be honest. Just felt like it pandered to the yanks way too much. It ignores the fact this is a global franchise, so my focusing on US culture, it ignores its Japanese origins, or how Sonic lure really came about as a combination of the two.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum