You are not connected. Please login or register

Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making?

+5
The First Doctor
Ludders
iank
Tanmann
REDACTED
9 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 6th November 2019, 4:05 pm

REDACTED

McCoy's third and final season as well as sadly being the last season of the original series is often seen by a lot of fandom as where Doctor Who was on its way to a potential renaissance. But what is your stance on it?

My Ratings

Battlefield: 3/5
Ghost Light: 4/5
Curse Of Fenric: 5/5
Survival: 4.5/5

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I'm not sure I buy the hype. I think fans wanted it to be the great redemptive finish the show needed, and they willed it to be so more than anything. It became necessary to believe it was for propaganda purposes. It probably was the best JNT season, but probably only by virtue of being just four stories long and having less chance to screw things up in an almighty way.

Maybe it was great at the time, but I'm not convinced it's aged so well.

I also think the McCoy era can only take itself so seriously and be so 'right-on' before it starts getting a little indigestible.

Battlefield has some neat ideas in there, great standalone moments, and a genuine reverence for the Arthurian myth. It also unfortunately has a lot of cop-outs, OTT acting moments, insipid preachy bits, and moments of  uncomfortable feminist militancy that leave a bit of a bad taste in the mouth. Odd thing is, the first and fourth episode are actually very solid indeed, but the stuff in-between is very cringe.

Ghostlight. I'm sorry but I never really got this one. It just seems an incoherent bombardment of loud melodrama, that just about makes sense in the end, but manages to be a very bumpy ride until then. It also feels as a Victorian satire, a bit too caricatured and nasty to the point of bleakness.

Curse of Fenric. Probably actually the most solid and atmospheric story of the era, with a great lasting, haunting after-effect and for the most part suggests the show should've had at least ten more years' life in it rather than just a few weeks.

On the negative side, Ace is unbearably clingy at some points, the over-earnest final scene probably should've been left on the cutting room floor, and some of the partisan anti-British, pro-Communist propaganda just feels forced, crass and insulting (as someone who studied History and how horrendous the Soviet armies and fear-ruled state were, I just do not believe its subjects and military would have greater faith than the Brits).

Despite which it's mostly a winner and the latter issue is kind of redeemed by the resolution of both sides teaming up *and* Fenric using that to his advantage in a pretty cool sucker punch.

Survival. I'm not sure about this one. It ends up being a bit random really. I will say the Master has benefited from his needed hiatus from the show, and comes back with renewed menace. Most of the Cheetah planet scenes are engaging, and I think the story only loses something when they get back home and it carries on trying to push its subtext into text in a rather on-the-nose way.

The final fight can't help but feel a bit of an abrupt, convenient cop-out rather than a genuine cathartic endgame (a part of me thinks it might've been better to end the show on the burning cheetah-planet, mid-fight and just leave the series on a massive cliffhanger). It seems to just end, right as it was getting interesting.

The final monologue is poignant though, and the loss of the Cheetah world a stark reminder that there are some worlds the Doctor can't always save. There are better notes the show could've ended on (Talons, City of Death, Castrovalva, The Five Doctors, Revelation, Remembrance, Fenric), but there's also worse (ending on Time-Flight or Dragonfire probably would've killed the show for good). I think in its own way it was a satisfying finish, if only for finally seeming to put the Master to an overdue and fitting comeuppance.

There was however more than enough good stuff here to make one pine for at least one more season to build on what the season was doing. Overall I'd say I'm undecided but not a fan of the era overall, but I do think one more season might've made all the difference.

iank

iank

One of the best seasons ever. Said it before, say it again: That this was the season they chose to cancel on, only to then return it with New Who, which we're all supposed to be so grateful for, tells you everything you need to know about the BBC.
Fucking pricks.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Ludders

Ludders

It's certainly an improvement, although because of that, it does tend to blown out of proportion, as Tannmann suggests, and I really didn't like these hints towards the Doctor having this almost God-like status.

Battlefield
Is often rightly noted for some cringeworthy acting and generally seems to be regarded as the worst of the season. Yet I've developed a certain amount of tolerance for this one; largely because Jean Marsh does a great job, and it's nice to see the Brigadier one last time, even if he does remind me of Scotty in the Star Trek movies by now....
Has to lose points for some really naff scenes, but I think 6/10 is fair. It's still way better than anything in S24. and Remembrance aside, S25 as well.

Ghost Light
If ever a story needed patching up on the writing front, it's this one. However, it does have a lot of atmosphere, and McCoy's performance is reasonable, because the tone happens to suit him. He was always much better at the quieter, more broody Doctor; as showcased in several of his BF audios.
However, it has to lose points for weaknesses in the writing. 6.5/10

Curse of Fenric
Probably the best of the season, but for me this one particularly, is a story that tends to be somewhat overrated.
Good, but not THAT good. 7/10.

Survival
This has always been the weakest of the season for me. I was never impressed with Ainley as the Master who always seemed to think he could get by on laughing a lot.
It's a shame the series finished on such a bland effort. Again, it's still better than anything in S24 or 25, apart from Remembrance, but by now the slow poison of S24 had done its job. 5/10.

Another season building on the improvement of S26, with a new Doctor and assistant, and a long overdue new producer might've seen the show continue into the nineties, and it's great shame that it wasn't given the chance to redeem itself further. But the damage was done, and the powers that had already decided.

5Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 28th December 2019, 2:15 am

The First Doctor

The First Doctor

Calling it a new golden age for the show really depends on your taste I feel. This is the height of the McCoy era and I feel it's pretty great.

Battlefield: 8/10
A great story overflowing with Arthurian Law but is let down by some uneven acting from it's large cast. It's also a big love letter to the Pertwee era as it also has the return of unit, the Brigadier and alternate realities. The writers do the smart thing and try change things up a bit from last season, by having the Doctor not have set up for these events in the past but instead in his future. This prevents things getting too repetitive and add another layer of mystery to the Seventh Doctor. One other thing I will knock against this story is that it dose at times look like a LARPers vs Re-enactment Group grudge match in the middle of the British countryside. On the flip side the Destroyer is one of the best looking monsters in the series, though you can see the actors teeth inside the mask at one point.

Ghost Light:10/10
A very intelligent story that looks at the concept of change, both physical and mental. When I first watched this episode some years ago I found it to be very atmospheric and scary at time, and my opinion hasn't changed. It's also here that we get a first real look at Ace's back story. Throughout the earlier seasons we were given hints about her life befor Dragonfire, bit it's here were concrete information is revealed. It also at this point that her relationship with the Doctor is beginning to be really put to the test. On a minor tangent what makes Ace better then any of the NuPoo companions is that while she is given greater depth then many of her past counterparts, this is done in a way doesn't upstage the Doctor in his own show or make him irrelevant in the conclusion of the story. As for the story, yes it suffers from being cut down from 4 to 3 episodes but the plot is their to make out and understand. It just requires more focus then your average episode.

Curse of Fenric: 10/10
If you asked me to pick a story that best represented the McCoy era it would be this one. This was also the first Seventh Doctor story I ever watched. It also capitalises on Ace's development in Ghost Light. I will agree Tanmann on his opinion that the story looks to be bordering on being Pro-Communist, which is the only thing I'll knock it for.

Survival: 9/10
True Who's final story. Ace's journey comes full circle as she and the Doctor arrive at Paravail. This story has more the hallmarks of Urban Fantasy then Science Fiction, in fact it makes me think of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere. While most people don't like them, I always felt the Kitling puppets were pretty creepy and the Cheetah People are some of the better realised on off aliens in the franchises run. Ainley's gives what may be his best performance as the Master and actually comes of as a credible enemy rather then a cartoonish baddie. In a possible unintended way, Survival builds on the ideas of change set up in Ghost Light.

Fendelman

Fendelman

Compared to the other 80's seasons, I'd say 26 was not nearly as good as 18-20, better than 21, about equally as good as 22, and way better than 23-25. I'd give Ghost Light and Fenric 9/10 (I think Ghost Light is way underrated), Battlefield 8/10, and Survival 7/10. Overall, it's never really made sense to me that the show was canceled after what was such a relatively good season.

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Battlefield - 1/10
Ghostlight - 3/10
Curse of Fenrick - 3/10
Survival - 3/10

Nope, don't like it, sorry.

Cartmell should've laid off the drugs, "The Prisoner" was shit.

McCoy playing a "god" is laughable when he can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

Season 25 was better than this.

Hell, as awful as it is, even Season 24 is more coherent.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

My mother has ordered the Blu ray set for me for my birthday. I can't have it until the 10th of March, but I feel so happy and grateful that I will be able to own it after all. I've seen some clips from it and I'm really impressed by the quality of the picture.

9Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 6:14 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Rob Filth wrote:Battlefield - 1/10
Ghostlight - 3/10
Curse of Fenrick - 3/10
Survival - 3/10

McCoy playing a "god" is laughable when he can't act his way out of a wet paper bag.

"Cartmel and Platt asked me to engage my brain and I simply couldn't do it! I've held a deep resentment towards them ever since"

10Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 6:26 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ludders wrote:
Battlefield
It's still way better than anything in S24. and Remembrance aside, S25 as well.

Better than Greatest Show? How come? That is a much better production. I also think The Happiness Patrol is a better story despite being studio bound.

11Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 6:28 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

My rankings:

Battlefield 7/10
Ghost Light 8/10
The Curse of Fenric 10/10
Survival 9/10

Not as good as the first two McCoy seasons, but a solid end to the classic series and ten billion times better than the Hinchcliffe era. Put that one in your pipe and smoke it, Rob Wink

12Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 6:43 pm

Fendelman

Fendelman

Battlefield 8/10
Ghost Light 9/10
The Curse of Fenric 9/10
Survival 7/10

Better than 3-4, 12, 21 and 23-25, not as good as 6-10 and 13-20, about the same as 1-2, 5, 11 and 22.

13Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 6:48 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Jean Marsh’s performance alone is worth 10 of everybody else’s because she takes it seriously and resists the temptation to camp it up.
Also, Nicholas Courtney similarly helps to lift the story up and pitch it away from any temptations towards pantomime, which a story like this could easily fall into.
The Happiness Patrol feels like a leftover from S24, especially with the ridiculously OTT Bertie Basset; Although I will  admit it’s probably time I gave it another go, as it’s been ages. Similarly with Greatest Show which I  don’t think is awful, but just very average. There’s nothing about it that stands out, and Ian Reddington is crap, which doesn’t help.

14Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 7:03 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ludders wrote:
The Happiness Patrol feels like a leftover from S24

That explains my affection for it.

I like every McCoy story except Dragonfire. Apart from Ace and Glynn's score, I find the whole thing to be really weak. It didn't have the zany feel that the other stories from Season 24 had. Hard to believe the same person would go on to write the second best story of the era.

15Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 7:06 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Ludders wrote:
The Happiness Patrol feels like a leftover from S24

That explains my affection for it.

I like every McCoy story except Dragonfire. Apart from Ace and Glynn's score, I find the whole thing to be really weak. It didn't have the zany feel that the other stories from Season 24 had. Hard to believe the same person would go on to write the second best story of the era.

Needless to say 'Dragonfire' is the one that I'd say was the least annoying. LOL

16Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 8:36 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Pepsi Maxil wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:Battlefield - 1/10
Ghostlight - 3/10
Curse of Fenrick - 3/10
Survival - 3/10

"Cartmel and Platt asked me to engage my brain and I simply couldn't do it! I've held a deep resentment towards them ever since"

They didn't ask anyone to engage their brain. Shuffling pages of a script into an incoherent order is not profound intelligence or a creative masterstroke, nor is characters you couldn't give a fuck about all spouting dialogue gibberish to each other, having mental breakdowns or terminally miserable bouts of self-indulgent lost within themselves navel gazing.

17Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 8:40 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

Pepsi Maxil wrote:My rankings:

Battlefield 7/10
Ghost Light 8/10
The Curse of Fenric 10/10
Survival 9/10

Not as good as the first two McCoy seasons, but a solid end to the classic series and ten billion times better than the Hinchcliffe era. Put that one in your pipe and smoke it, Rob Wink
I will do.

It sounds remarkably strong stuff given those scores.

18Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 11th February 2020, 8:57 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Rob Filth wrote:
Pepsi Maxil wrote:Put that one in your pipe and smoke it, Rob Wink
I will do.

LOL

19Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 12th February 2020, 12:46 pm

Mordred

Mordred

Ludders wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:
I will do.

LOL

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahah! Hahaha!
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! Ha! Ha! Ahahahhahahahahahaha!

20Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 12th February 2020, 7:04 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Ludders wrote:Jean Marsh’s performance alone is worth 10 of everybody else’s because she takes it seriously and resists the temptation to camp it up.
Also, Nicholas Courtney similarly helps to lift the story up and pitch it away from any temptations towards pantomime, which a story like this could easily fall into.

I definitely think Battlefield is a good watch. The script itself is brilliant and I agree with you about Jean Marsh's performance. I think it's more a case of other stories around it simply being better rather than anything else.

I think you'd enjoy the novel. It was republished a few years back so you don't have to pay a fortune to get your hands on a copy.

21Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 12th February 2020, 7:56 pm

Ludders

Ludders

Pepsi Maxil wrote:I think you'd enjoy the novel. It was republished a few years back so you don't have to pay a fortune to get your hands on a copy.

Well, thanks to member here who shall remain nameless by me, I've now got a pdf of Ghost Light, so maybe I'll get the other S26 novels next.
I wanted to get Ghost Light in particular, because the actual tv version seems as though they cut bits out to get it down to 3 episodes, so it will be interesting to see how much Platt's novel fleshes it out.

22Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 12th February 2020, 10:26 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Mordred wrote:
Ludders wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:
I will do.

LOL

Momma's boy.

Rolling Eyes

23Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? Empty Re: Season 26: Golden Age 2.0 In The Making? 12th February 2020, 11:03 pm

Mordred

Mordred

Tanmann wrote:
Mordred wrote:
Ludders wrote:
Rob Filth wrote:
I will do.

LOL

Momma's boy.

Rolling Eyes

I would wish for kinder words.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum