You are not connected. Please login or register

Films

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down  Message [Page 3 of 3]

51 Re: Films on Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:33 pm

I liked the look of the Ghost in the Shell trailers so thought I would go and take a look today. Not being a fan of Manga I was not entirely sure what to expect other than something cyberpunk. The plot was simple but engaging enough with lots of action to stop you getting bored. The film very was visually appealing and Rupert Sanders directing, particularly the cinematography, was stunning.

The sense of scale to the city backdrop was a little disappointing. Bladerunner did a superb job of creating a setting that felt infinite and at the same time claustrophobic. Ghost in the Shell’s city just felt claustrophobic.

The has been some kerfuffle about Scarlett Johansson getting the lead role rather than an Asian actress and I wish they had cast an Asian actress but not for reasons of political correctness. It feels like Hollywood has a limited vocabulary of actors and anything they can do to widen that should be welcomed with open arms, in my opinion. Be adventurous with casting. I don’t think it would be difficult to get somebody equally as talented and perhaps a little cheaper.

It was definitely above average.

View user profile

52 Re: Films on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:19 pm

I imagine it was a pretty expensive film, though, so they'd want a 'bankable' lead rather than an unknown of any ethnicity. New actors generally come to prominence smaller roles or lead roles in smaller, less expensive productions. Wink

View user profile

53 Re: Films on Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:32 pm

http://movieweb.com/shining-movie-alternate-endings-stanley-kubrick/

Stanley Kubrick's The Shining Had a Much Darker Alternate Ending

View user profile

54 Re: Films on Thu Apr 06, 2017 4:19 pm

http://movieweb.com/ghost-in-shell-movie-suffered-whitewashing-box-office/

Paramount Admits Whitewash Controversy Hurt Ghost in the Shell

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/39487917/marvel-boss-says-some-retailers-are-blaming-sales-fall-on-diverse-characters

Marvel boss says some retailers are blaming sales fall on diverse characters

That's rather conflicting.

View user profile

55 Re: Films on Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:23 pm

I'm on babysitting duites tomorow...meaning it's Smurfs time.

View user profile

56 Re: Films on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:15 pm

I very much doubt "whitewashing" had anything to do with it. I didn't go see it because it looked like generic CG-laden boring shit from the trailer. End of.

View user profile

57 Re: Films on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:01 am

The Burning. It's the early 80s, there's a summer camp and lots of teenagers. It's either a sex comedy or a slasher flick. Well, look at the title. Wink Yes, there's a maniac on the loose hunting teenagers and some surprisingly big names in the cast in what must be their first appearance for most of them, including a young Holly Hunter (who has like one line), Fisher Stevens and Seinfeld's Jason Alexander. Yes, George is most definitely getting upset! Big Grin Passable if unremarkable early 80s horror, mostly of interest for the cast.

View user profile

58 Re: Films on Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:30 pm

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. It was OK, seemed a bit of an excuse o have lots of cute CGI creatures running around the screen.

View user profile

59 Re: Films on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 pm

Hush. A deaf woman living in the country becomes the target of a sadistic killer in this gripping 2016 horror thriller from writer-director Mike Flanagan (Oculus, Ouija: Origin of Evil). This movie is a lean, mean exercise in nerve-wracking suspense and tension from my favourite modern horror director and genuinely had me on the edge of my seat. Cracking stuff! Big Grin

View user profile

60 Re: Films on Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:51 pm

I didn't care for Hush at all, up (down?) there with It Follows, The Babadook and Lake Mungo.

I recently came across this, thought it was more interesting and entertaining that the real trailer.

For three long days, I felt the cold hand of death on my shoulder. Lost in the depths of despair I tried to figure out what I had done to deserve this. I wasn't an evil person. The worst thing I'd ever done was kick a pig - School trip to Heston Farm, 1964, I maintain it was self-defence.
View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

View previous topic View next topic Back to top  Message [Page 3 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum