You are not connected. Please login or register

Films

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 16 of 18]

376Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 10:17 pm

iank

iank
Con Air. Sent to prison after killing a drunken thug in a fight, former US Ranger Nicolas Cage is finally being released, but the US Marshal flight that's meant to be his flight to freedom is hijacked by a highly dangerous group of other prisoners and he finds himself caught between them and the authorities in this ludicrously overblown but thoroughly enjoyable late 90s action flick that has a fantastic cast including John Cusack, John Malkovich, Colm Meaney, Ving Rhames and Steve Buscemi. Wonderful 90s dumb fun action. Big Grin

377Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 8:01 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Going to take a rare visit to the cinema on Sunday to see Rambo: Last Blood. I'm pumped for eighty-nine minutes of pure badassery.

378Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 8:08 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater
It has shite reviews but they seem to be just complaining about gore and stereotypes which don't strike me as negatives. Tempted to go myself if just to support the new and deserved transgressive.

379Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 8:18 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
@TiberiusDidNothingWrong wrote:It has shite reviews but they seem to be just complaining about gore and stereotypes which don't strike me as negatives. Tempted to go myself if just to support the new and deserved transgressive.

Yeah, the critics were obviously going to hate it. The one-star Guardian review is particularly hilarious. One review criticised the "ultra violence" and the  "irresponsible politics" LOL I honestly can't wait for it personally.

380Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 10:06 pm

iank

iank
But The Guardian aren't Commies. Honest. Big Grin

Mean Girls. A teenage girl who's been home-schooled in Africa since she was a child is forced to attend high school for the first time when her parents return to the US - and finds it a much fiercer jungle than the one she left behind. Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams star in this wickedly funny teen comedy that has to be one of the best comedies of the 2000s. Still very funny. Big Grin

381Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 10:18 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Lindsay Lohan is so underrated. Anyone here a fan of Freaky Friday?

382Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 11:25 pm

Indrid Mercury

Indrid Mercury
@Pepsi Maxil wrote:Lindsay Lohan is so underrated. Anyone here a fan of Freaky Friday?

Its a guilty pleasure of mine. Embarassed

383Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Thu 19 Sep 2019, 11:29 pm

Indrid Mercury

Indrid Mercury
Herbie Rides Again (1974)

The Love Bug returns in this fun comedy sequel to the 1968 original with Helen Hayes and Keenan Wynn on top form. Whilst not as fun as the first, this is still entertaining for the most part. 3/5

384Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Fri 20 Sep 2019, 9:59 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
If the movie is as good as the music then I'm in for a cracking time!

385Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sat 21 Sep 2019, 6:13 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
The author of the First Blood novel doesn't seem to be a big fan:

Films - Page 16 Mess10

Booked my tickets today. Can't wait for the carnage!

386Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sat 21 Sep 2019, 10:59 pm

iank

iank
I think you may be disappointed, Maxil. Apparently there's about 5 minutes of action in the whole film. Mainly in the last 15.

The Dead Pool. When celebrities start getting offed in the order of a macabre "dead pool" betting list, "Dirty" Harry Callahan is soon on the case - and less than thrilled to find he's also on the list. Clint Eastwood stars in the 5th and final Dirty Harry movie from 1988. Harry's not getting any younger, and he's not getting any less cranky either - but he still knows how to take out the trash. This late 80s action movie is very silly and a long way from the uber-grittiness of the original early 70s Dirty Harry film, but it's still a lot of fun. A young Liam Neeson is an arrogant film director who may either be the killer or the killer's obsession, and there's even a small early role for Jim Carrey - credited as James Carrey - as a drugged-out rock star who winds up the killer's first victim. The standout scene has got to be one of cinema's oddest car chases, as Harry's vehicle is pursued through the streets of San Francisco by a small remote-controlled toy car - loaded with explosives. Fun. Big Grin

387Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sat 21 Sep 2019, 11:05 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
@iank wrote:I think you may be disappointed, Maxil. Apparently there's about 5 minutes of action in the whole film. Mainly in the last 15.

I really hope that's not true. I'll find out soon enough and then post my thoughts here.

@iank wrote:The Dead Pool. When celebrities start getting offed in the order of a macabre "dead pool" betting list, "Dirty" Harry Callahan is soon on the case - and less than thrilled to find he's also on the list. Clint Eastwood stars in the 5th and final Dirty Harry movie from 1988. Harry's not getting any younger, and he's not getting any less cranky either - but he still knows how to take out the trash. This late 80s action movie is very silly and a long way from the uber-grittiness of the original early 70s Dirty Harry film, but it's still a lot of fun. A young Liam Neeson is an arrogant film director who may either be the killer or the killer's obsession, and there's even a small early role for Jim Carrey - credited as James Carrey - as a drugged-out rock star who winds up the killer's first victim. The standout scene has got to be one of cinema's oddest car chases, as Harry's vehicle is pursued through the streets of San Francisco by a small remote-controlled toy car - loaded with explosives. Fun. Big Grin

I've been meaning to watch that. I never knew Carrey was in it until I saw that scene of him rocking out to Guns N' Roses on YouTube a few weeks ago.

388Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sun 22 Sep 2019, 4:40 pm

Indrid Mercury

Indrid Mercury
Lethal Weapon 2 (1989)

Mel Gibson and Danny Glover are on top form with a great supporting cast consisting of Joe Pesci, Joss Ackland and Patsy Kensit and an even larger helping of action in this exciting, funny, explosive sequel to the 1987 classic. 4.5/5

389Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sun 22 Sep 2019, 9:18 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Rambo: Last Blood (2019)

Stallone returns with a vengeance in the best Rambo movie since First Blood. The last thirty minutes or so are truly breathtaking! The inventive and well-staged slaughter of the villains in Rambo's underground tunnels of death are probably the coolest moments in the entire series. The atmosphere is effectively unsettling and the movie actually has the balls to showcase the nasty stuff involving the cartel and the horrific things they do to their victims. This only makes the climax even more satisfying when you see them get ripped to shred in the some of the most barbaric ways possible. I had a huge lump in my throat during a particularly sad moment which was very well played by both Stallone and the very beautiful Yvette Monreal. The score music by Brian Tyler is also a highlight of the film and sounds just as good as Goldsmith's work for the series.

Last Blood is brutal, unforgiving and genuinely cool in everything that it does.

8.5/10

390Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sun 22 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

iank

iank
I'm glad you liked it, Maxil.

391Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sun 22 Sep 2019, 10:14 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
@iank wrote:I'm glad you liked it, Maxil.

Thanks a lot, Ian. It was definitely one of the better experiences I've had at the cinema in the last ten years.

392Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 12:46 pm

Indrid Mercury

Indrid Mercury
I might actually be tempted to go and check out Last Blood at some point this week.

393Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Mon 23 Sep 2019, 3:46 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Mercury wrote:I might actually be tempted to go and check out Last Blood at some point this week.

If you do go and see it I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Definitely the best Stallone film since Rocky Balboa (2006).

394Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Fri 27 Sep 2019, 10:12 pm

iank

iank
End of Days. Big Arnie takes on his biggest opponent yet - Satan himself! Arnie's an ex-cop, embittered following the murder of his own family, who becomes embroiled in a conspiracy surrounding an innocent young woman who has been chosen to bear the Devil's child and bring about the end of the world... Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Pollak and The Mentalist's Robin Tunney co-star in this late 90s action/horror hybrid. As with a few others from this time, including Con Air and Arnie's Eraser, I wasn't a massive fan of this at the time but thoroughly enjoy it now. Great ludicrous OTT fun. Big Grin

395Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Fri 27 Sep 2019, 11:36 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
A Time to Die (1991)

Photographer Jackie Swanson is framed for being in possession of drugs by a crooked detective. Fighting hard to regain custody of her child Jackie sets out to prove her innocence but soon finds herself in danger after she witnesses the detective murder an unarmed man. Cracking thriller starring Traci Lords. Very nicely shot with effective noir lighting throughout.

396Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sat 28 Sep 2019, 11:41 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Rambo III (1988)

I really can't stand this one anymore. The direction is very good but everything else is just so sloppy and half-arsed. The second film is much better.

4/10

397Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sun 29 Sep 2019, 2:14 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Watching Johnny English on Channel 4. He's such a clumsy bastard LOL
Natalie Imbruglia looks so damn fine in this.

398Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sat 05 Oct 2019, 10:10 pm

iank

iank
Hell Fest. A horror-themed travelling sideshow at a local amusement park seems like a fun night out for a group of young college friends - until a masked maniac chooses the same night to make the park his own personal hunting ground. This 2018 B movie slasher horror is... actually way better than I was honestly expecting. An unusual and atmospheric setting, stylish direction and admittedly generic but well-acted and likeable characters make for a thoroughly entertaining modern throwback to classic slasher fare. Fun.

399Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sun 06 Oct 2019, 8:27 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
The Neverending Story II: The Next Chapter (1990). I hadn't seen this film in a few years so I decided to upgrade and buy the Blu-ray. I was very impressed with it this time round. I watched it right after the original (which I had also bought on Blu-ray) and was suprised at how much more I enjoyed it over that film which I'm sad to say is beginning to lose some of its magic for me. Although it lacks the existentialism of the original film, it does delve deeper into more broader themes such as betrayal, friendship and dying imagination. It also touches on courage, temptation and the seductive power of control, something that had originally been mentioned by Gmork in the first NES. The film has its fair share of depressing and heartbreaking moments that geniunely feel real and mature. Bastian losing the memory of his dead mother is perhaps more upsetting the Atrix drowning scene in the original.

The movie is visually stunning. The landscapes are so pricturesque and imaginative and the model work and matte paintings are often very convincing and effective. I particularly love the design of Xayide's castle which is both magnificent and incredibly creepy. Peter Folk's score is timeless while Giorgio Moroder composes some lovely songs for the film's end credits. The whole thing really suceeds as a fantasy film thanks to the many whimsical characters that inhabit Fantasia as well as the enchanting atmosphere and setting.

Clarissa Burt gives a standout performance as the villainous Xayide. She's sexy, seductive and over the top, but somehow manages to always remain a credible threat throughout. Johnathan Brandis (RIP) is superb as Bastian, completely surpassing Barrett Oliver's underwhelming performance in the first movie. Brandis really turns the character into a proper person with real depth. He comes across well during the emotional moments he has between his aloof father at the beginning of the movie. Alexandra Johnes is likeable in her brief appearance as The Childlike Empress.

I never thought I'd say it, but Neverending Story II is actually a better film than the original. For some reason the themes and storyline just appeal to me now more than they did when I watched it about four years ago. It just comes across as a far more competent production compared to its predecessor and holds up better in terms of the special effects and its storyline. The first always felt a bit rushed to me in some places but this one unfolds at a decent pace and has a satisfying conclusion.

I recommend this sequel. I honestly never expected to like it as much as I did especially compared to my inital viewing when I wasn't that impressed with it. Something just clicked for me when I watching it last night. It has something important to say and many choose not to listen. I hope people will give this one another watch because it really is a worthy continuation of the series and manages to remain faithful to Ende's novel. III is still my personal favourite but this is objectively the best in the series.

9/10

400Films - Page 16 Empty Re: Films on Sun 06 Oct 2019, 11:16 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
In a strange way I kind of liked the rushed and patchy element of the first Neverending Story, because in an odd way, it made it feel a bit like a Classic Doctor Who episode and like it was chasing some high-art aspirations.

However these days I tend to think it'd be nice if someone actually had a go at remaking the first film and actually going full hog by making it an adaptation of the whole book, including the second half of it where Bastian turns bad and Fantasia falls into civil war.

I'm pretty sure I saw II at the cinema at the time. I might give it a curious look one day.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 16 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum