You are not connected. Please login or register

Films

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Go down  Message [Page 15 of 17]

351Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 31 Aug 2019, 9:07 am

Bernard Marx

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood. As a whole, I rather enjoyed this, though as Iank referred to in his review, I’m unsure if it’ll hold up on repeat viewings. It was generally superbly acted, with Dicaprio giving by far the most varied and dedicated performance of the bunch, and there were some wonderful scenes between him and a particular child actress which made me ponder on whether this really was a Tarantino film given that it was much more subtle and subtextual than most dialogue in his films. I was also surprised at how reserved Tarantino was for most of the film- there’s nary a truly violent scene until the last 20 minutes- which I found rather admirable. It also captured the zeitgeist of late 1960s America very well, complimented by a great soundtrack (though there was the odd track which I found to be potentially anachronistic).

Although there were also moments where Tarantino’s dialogue became a little too smug and self-congratulatory towards the middle, which irked quite a bit. Likewise, the final scene does feature some noticeable contrivances concerning how a key character survives a fatal situation (though I will avoid major spoilers) and also delved into that typical Tarantino bloodbath that he is simply unable to avoid. There was also a point during the end of the second act where a voiceover narration seemed awkwardly shoehorned in a rather jarring manner (just like it was in The Hateful Eight, though the narration wasn’t by Tarantino this time round), which felt a little haphazard, and like most of his films, I suspect the film might be a little shallow on multiple viewings. Having said that, I rather enjoyed it on my first viewing, and didn’t feel as if I’d wasted my time, which is more than can be said for most other films I’ve seen released this year.

352Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 31 Aug 2019, 1:03 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Commander Maxil wrote:Frankenhooker (1990)

Scientist Jeffrey Franken attempts to rebuild his deceased girlfriend from the remaining body parts of hookers that exploded after being exposed to "super crack."

Sounds like this Jeffrey Franken really don't love dem hoes....

353Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 31 Aug 2019, 1:51 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss
@Tanmann wrote:
I never saw the point of remaking a film that was already fine as it was.

Quite

Just saw the Poltergeist remake, can't say I would recommend it.

354Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 31 Aug 2019, 1:52 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
@Tanmann wrote:
Commander Maxil wrote:Frankenhooker (1990)

Scientist Jeffrey Franken attempts to rebuild his deceased girlfriend from the remaining body parts of hookers that exploded after being exposed to "super crack."

Sounds like this Jeffrey Franken really don't love dem hoes....

What do we get for ten dollars?

355Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Mon 02 Sep 2019, 7:35 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Don't Open Till Christmas.

I'm not sure why I decided to watch a seasonal slasher in late August. Anyway, Underworld actor Alan Lake portrays a serial killer that murders people dressed in Santa outfits specifically. The movie unintentionally gives the identity of the killer away almost immediately and you're left wondering why the movie even bothers to throw in red herrings later on. Delta and the Bannermen actress Belinda Maybe also stars and she gives a fairly OK performance. Also appearing is the delightful Kelly Baker (Slaughter High) and the ever enticing Caroline Munro in a cameo role.  The movie has three directors and unfortunately it shows. The plot is completely muddled and characters regularly disappear for long stretches of time without being mentioned. The terrible editing makes the entire thing incredibly incoherent and scatterbrained. It does succeed at being creepy at times and Eighties London during the holiday season is a great setting. It certainly isn't the worst movie I've seen this year, but it could have been a lot better if the original director didn't walk midway through filming.

356Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Tue 03 Sep 2019, 9:35 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Half Past Dead (2002)

I enjoyed it. No particularly reason why. Honest.

Big Grin I know, typical Maxil. Sexy babe did all of her own stunts! I honestly did enjoy the film for other reasons, though. Morris Chestnut is decent as the baddie and the action sequences are slick and exciting. Music kicks ass, too. Definitely one of Seagal's better films post Exit Wounds.

357Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 4:21 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Steven Universe The TV Movie:
I was very excited for this, as Steven Universe is in my top 5 favourite shows of all time. Needless to say, I wasn't disappointed, despite my reservations to it being a musical. Gorgeous animation, fantastic catchy songs, and the characters are just as great as before. The two only complaints is that this feels less like a movie, and more like a 90 minute episode that has bigger stakes, and that the very end is rushed (not the resolution, but the ending itself). This movie makes me excited for the new direction that the Series is going, I'm looking forward to Season 6. A 8/10 for me.

358Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 04 Sep 2019, 7:12 pm

BillPatJonTom

BillPatJonTom
Finally got to see Once Upon A TIme...in Hollywood recently and am pleased to say what an enjoyable experience! Well made, well acted and well stylish I thought and it's also refreshingly unlike most current cinema offerings. It's rare to have a long (very long) movie aimed at adults and also free of endless cgi action without being a sequel or a remake to boot!

I enjoyed the evocative period recreation done with typical trademark Tarantino cultural references, including here everything from spaghetti westerns to Bruce Lee, Steve McQueen and even Adam West's Batman! There's a suitably groovy soundtrack playing throughout of course ranging from the Mamas and Papas to Deep Purple and much more. I loved the Hitchcockian music (from Bernard Herrmann's Torn Curtain score I think) used very effectively in a creepy little scene whereby Brad Pitt visits the sinister ranch inhabited by the Manson "family".

Although the plot flirts with depicting a backgound story relating to the Manson "family" murderers and their victims, the film seems much more concerned with celebrating a specific culture and era, in this case Hollywood in 1969. Incidentally Manson himself is only briefly depicted in a very quick sequence that nonetheless adds an ominous quality.

Although at times the pacing slows things right down, I was thankfully never bored because of the way it lingers so lovingly on certain details to great effect. Indeed I'd even be curious to rewatch it all in an extended version should it ever become available. The end credits indicate some scenes (such as with Tim Roth) were cut so possibly might be reinstated for a future release?

Without disclosing too much about the ending, I'd read some spoilerish reviews prior to seeing the film and so wasn't surprised by the "what should have happened" climax. The film's title itself suggests the film maker's intent anyway - this is pure fairy tale stuff, albeit with blackly comic ultraviolence in the final analysis, from Tarantino at his finest.

359Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 7:16 am

iank

iank
Samantha. Martha Plimpton is Samantha, an eccentric young woman who is thrown into emotional disarray when, on her 21st birthday, her parents finally admit she was adopted (or rather, left on their doorstep in a wicker basket!). Feeling like an impostor in her own life, Samantha goes on a quest to find her birth parents, but her obsession threatens to derail her musical education and her relationship with her parents and her best friend (Dermot Mulroney). I saw this early 90s comedy drama in the mid 90s but haven't seen it for donkeys years, not least because you can't even get it on DVD. It seems rather unfair that it's so obscure, as it's a funny and touching piece with a good cast that also includes Hector Elizondo and Ione Skye, and is an all round very enjoyable film. Big Grin

360Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sun 08 Sep 2019, 1:44 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Black Rain (1989)

Michael Douglas stars in this gritty and atmospheric Ridley Scott epic set it Japan. A murderous Yakuza member successfully escapes police custody and retreats into the Japanese underworld. Two New York detectives responsible for initially apprehending the killer in the US now help the local authorities to get him back. Very gripping movie with plenty of visual flair and an excellent score to boot. Douglas is a phenomenal actor.

9/10

361Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Mon 09 Sep 2019, 5:05 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Cave Girl (1985)

A teenager goes back in time to the prehistoric age and falls in love with a cave girl. Surprisingly moving romantic comedy starring the late Cindy Ann Thompson.

362Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Fri 13 Sep 2019, 9:41 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss
I watched The Shining TV mini-series and read Stephen King's criticisms of Kubrick's film, and I have to say I think King is just wrong.

Firstly, he didn't like Kubrick treatment of Wendy, even describing her characterisation as misogynistic. He cited the bit where she cack-handed swings a baseball bat at Jack near the end of the film.

1.) Not every woman has to be Lara Croft
2.) IIRC, she was doing it to keep him at bay, not to hit him. She loves him and is conflicted.
3.) Her ineptitude makes her more of an underdog so it's more satisfying when she wins. He doesn't survive after all. If you look at the context, Jack is an arsehole and losses out at every opportunity.

His second point was that Jack Nicholson's portrayal was one-note. In the book/mini-series, Jack starts off a loving father and descends into madness before an act of redemption towards the end. King believes there wasn't a character arc in the film.

He is partially right. The arc is more of a descent into madness, but this ties into the colder more austere tone of the film, i.e. it fits better with Kubrick's vision as opposed to King's more schmaltzy Hollywood happy ending.

Finally, King also knocked the ending. In the book, the boiler blows up the hotel and Jack. King described the book as fire and the film as ice. That's just personal preference. I much prefer the film

363Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Fri 13 Sep 2019, 11:18 am

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Top Gun (1986)

I'm so fucking pumped after watching that! Great soundtrack, amazing visuals and a brilliant performance from the ever charismatic Tom Cruise. Can't wait for the sequel.

364Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 6:43 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
I tend to forget how wonderful the Wallace and Gromit franchise is, but The Curse of the Were Rabbit reinvigorated my love for it. Truly a top notch film and maybe the best installment next to The Wrong Trousers.

365Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 9:23 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Night of the Comet (1984)

Teenagers Reggie and Sam take on zombies in California after a comet wipes out all but a select few of humans in this post-apocalyptic masterpiece.  The film influenced the creation of Buffy!

BEST. DECADE. EVER. You NEED to watch this film!

366Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 10:44 pm

iank

iank
It's a classic.

367Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Sat 14 Sep 2019, 11:53 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Over The Top (1987)

My dad died when I was very young. Sometimes it's difficult not having a father figure in my life, but I've always seen Stallone as the closest thing. His movie characters really help me get over the line. That's why I love this film in particular and why this moment will always stick with me. One day I'd like to inspire my kid like this.

368Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Mon 16 Sep 2019, 8:47 am

iank

iank
The Taking of Pelham One Two Three. A NY Transit cop must match wits with a dangerous sociopath when he and his men hijack a subway train and demand $1 million within the hour - or they begin executing the passengers. Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw star in this gritty and thoroughly enjoyable mid 70s thriller that also features Hector Elizondo and Mr Costanza himself, Jerry Stiller.

369Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Tue 17 Sep 2019, 11:27 pm

Mercury

Mercury
IT Chapter Two.

This sequel to the overrated 2017 adaptation is pretty meh at best, although Skarsgard is still on top form. 3/5.

370Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 12:13 am

Ronnie

Ronnie
I only saw part 1 a few months ago, and I found it ok, but nothing to write home about. I probably won’t even bother with the sequel unless it comes on Netflix or something.

371Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 7:31 am

Bernard Marx

I enjoyed the first one on first viewing, but it seems to get increasingly irritating and weak on each subsequent viewing for me. I too will wait for part 2 until it comes to Netflix or some other streaming service I have access to, especially given how lacklustre it looks.

372Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 12:52 pm

Mercury

Mercury
My biggest gripe with the first was that it felt more like a attempt at riding the success of 'Stranger Things' (also rather overrated) and it didn't capture the spirit and atmosphere of the book.

I'm also not too keen on the 1990 miniseries despite the brilliance of Tim Curry.

373Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 1:14 pm

Ronnie

Ronnie
@Mercury wrote:I'm also not too keen on the 1990 miniseries despite the brilliance of Tim Curry.

It's far from perfect, but I think it's better than the new one.

@Mercury wrote:it didn't capture the spirit and atmosphere of the book.

Very difficult to do, I think. Especially with such an in-depth writer as Stephen King.
The adaptations have to find a way to put their own stamp on the original books. Few have been successful, IMO.
I think the original 1979 Salem's Lot managed it. Also The Tommyknockers, and The Stand made a good fist of it.
I thought the 2004 remake of Salem's Lot was dreadful though.

374Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 1:58 pm

Bernard Marx

@Mercury wrote:My biggest gripe with the first was that it felt more like a attempt at riding the success of 'Stranger Things' (also rather overrated) and it didn't capture the spirit and atmosphere of the book.

I'm also not too keen on the 1990 miniseries despite the brilliance of Tim Curry.
Completely agree with this. To be fair, though I find Stranger Things to be very overrated, I thought season 1 was decent. Season 2 was a narrative clusterfuck that introduced redundant caricatures into the story and also became more visibly populist in its approach, and what I saw of season 3 was even worse. The 2017 It film does seem to capitalise on the overall Spielbergian vibe of Stranger Things, which I don’t think is in line with King’s original novel at all. I agree on the 1990 miniseries as well- it’s largely nondescript, though Curry is the best thing in it.

375Films - Page 15 Empty Re: Films on Wed 18 Sep 2019, 9:57 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
American Psycho (2000)

This tense and unnerving slasher flick features a breathtaking and memorable performance by Christian Bale as the serial killer. Is it real or just in his head? Regardless of the answer, American Psycho is a captivating watch from beginning to end. 9/10

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 15 of 17]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum