You are not connected. Please login or register

Films

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Go down  Message [Page 14 of 18]

326Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 9:30 am

Bernard Marx

As an aside: I used to be very enthused about the medium of film and all new releases several years back, and was very much into the history of film as well as seeing all new releases. However, I think The Last Jedi basically killed my overall interest in film as a whole, as I’ve basically seen fuck all in cinemas since then (and I was incredibly satisfied merely two months prior with Blade Runner 2049, a film ironically accused by morons as sexist- more evidence that these people are unable to undergo any form of critical analysis and just scream phrases of rhetoric whenever possible whilst also praising utter shite like Ghostbusters 2016 and The Last Jedi). Since late 2017, I’ve nary seen a decent film in cinemas, and my interest in cinema has waned after how much pseudo-progressive moronic bollocks has made its way into cinemas since then as well. I assume others here feel equally depressed with the state of contemporary cinema as well? Honestly, over the last year, I’ve seen BFI re-releases of Alien, A Clockwork Orange and Apocalypse Now, and all three experiences have shown modern cinema up to be as uninspired and vacuous as possible.

327Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 9:52 am

iank

iank
Oh modern cinema is bad. There's the occasional worthy piece - Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was great recently - but most is terrible. It's indicative of a dying culture.

328Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 10:09 am

Bernard Marx

It’s very disheartening, I must say. I’ve since tried branching out and watching more obscure films (given that I’ve seen the majority of mainstream releases from the 1950s onwards), but the state of modern cinema leaves a bad taste in the mouth in the same way that modern Who can occasionally put me off the classic series. Growing up in today’s climate isn’t the most exciting of experiences.

329Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 1:17 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
@Bernard Marx wrote:I assume others here feel equally depressed with the state of contemporary cinema as well?

Oh yes.

I used to love the cinema experience.

Then The Last Jedi came along and was one of the most unpleasant cinema experiences I've ever had.

After that I've not felt enthused to go the cinema again much.

330Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 1:34 pm

Bernard Marx

@Tanmann wrote:
@Bernard Marx wrote:I assume others here feel equally depressed with the state of contemporary cinema as well?

Oh yes.

I used to love the cinema experience.

Then The Last Jedi came along and was one of the most unpleasant cinema experiences I've ever had.

After that I've not felt enthused to go the cinema again much.

My experience is completely equal to yours, then. Smile

331Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 5:31 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
@Bernard Marx wrote:As an aside: I used to be very enthused about the medium of film and all new releases several years back, and was very much into the history of film as well as seeing all new releases. However, I think The Last Jedi basically killed my overall interest in film as a whole, as I’ve basically seen fuck all in cinemas since then (and I was incredibly satisfied merely two months prior with Blade Runner 2049, a film ironically accused by morons as sexist- more evidence that these people are unable to undergo any form of critical analysis and just scream phrases of rhetoric whenever possible whilst also praising utter shite like Ghostbusters 2016 and The Last Jedi). Since late 2017, I’ve nary seen a decent film in cinemas, and my interest in cinema has waned after how much pseudo-progressive moronic bollocks has made its way into cinemas since then as well. I assume others here feel equally depressed with the state of contemporary cinema as well? Honestly, over the last year, I’ve seen BFI re-releases of Alien, A Clockwork Orange and Apocalypse Now, and all three experiences have shown modern cinema up to be as uninspired and vacuous as possible.
I definitely think that live-action cinema has gone a bit wonky nowadays, although Last Jedi didn't help with this issue. However, I'd still say that animated cinema has still been great, with movies like Into the Spiderverse, When Marnie was There and Coco being top forms of entertainment. And I do think that the 2010s are still a better decade of film than the 2000's, which, barring the superhero movies, a lot felt like white noise.

332Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 5:41 pm

Bernard Marx

@SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:
@Bernard Marx wrote:As an aside: I used to be very enthused about the medium of film and all new releases several years back, and was very much into the history of film as well as seeing all new releases. However, I think The Last Jedi basically killed my overall interest in film as a whole, as I’ve basically seen fuck all in cinemas since then (and I was incredibly satisfied merely two months prior with Blade Runner 2049, a film ironically accused by morons as sexist- more evidence that these people are unable to undergo any form of critical analysis and just scream phrases of rhetoric whenever possible whilst also praising utter shite like Ghostbusters 2016 and The Last Jedi). Since late 2017, I’ve nary seen a decent film in cinemas, and my interest in cinema has waned after how much pseudo-progressive moronic bollocks has made its way into cinemas since then as well. I assume others here feel equally depressed with the state of contemporary cinema as well? Honestly, over the last year, I’ve seen BFI re-releases of Alien, A Clockwork Orange and Apocalypse Now, and all three experiences have shown modern cinema up to be as uninspired and vacuous as possible.
I definitely think that live-action cinema has gone a bit wonky nowadays, although Last Jedi didn't help with this issue. However, I'd still say that animated cinema has still been great, with movies like Into the Spiderverse, When Marnie was There and Coco being top forms of entertainment. And I do think that the 2010s are still a better decade of film than the 2000's, which, barring the superhero movies, a lot felt like white noise.
I’ve seen Spiderverse and Coco and loved them both, and I’ll agree that although this decade has been better than the 2000s on average (although the 2000s also had No Country for Old Men, There will be Blood, Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, Zodiac, Mulholland Drive etc), having really enjoyed many films, the last two or three years have been amongst the worst ever and detrimental to my passion of film in general, although The Last Jedi has contributed to my feeling that way significantly (and I know it isn’t related to film as such, but Game of Thrones season 8 was also crushingly disappointing in very much the same way, and to have this many major letdowns coupled with the dirge of New Who indicates that things really aren’t good at the moment).

333Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 9:10 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

I would agree with most of that. I am holding out for Doctor Sleep (The Shining 2) and IT Chapter 2, plus Villeneuve's Dune is out next Nov, so Twisted Evil

334Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Wed 28 Aug 2019, 9:41 pm

Bernard Marx

@Rawkuss wrote:

I would agree with most of that. I am holding out for Doctor Sleep (The Shining 2) and IT Chapter 2, plus Villeneuve's Dune is out next Nov, so Twisted Evil  

IT Chapter 2 is one I can take or leave (the first one tends to get worse on multiple viewings for me, and the book goes to shit by the end anyway), though I am holding out for Doctor Sleep and Villeneuve’s Dune (he’s not made a bad film as far as I’m concerned). I’m also holding out for Joker- the trailers for that have been superb. Instead of taking inspiration from the latest crap Justice League films, it’s mostly influenced by Scorsese and the Killing Joke, which is a pretty fucking awesome combination. If it disappoints, I’ll be seriously pissed, though not surprised given the current state of things.

335Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Thu 29 Aug 2019, 5:33 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Sleepaway Camp III: Teenage Wasteland (1989)

The one where Angela raps! I quite like this critically panned sequel although it's nowhere near as good as the first two. The copy of the film that I own is cut to shreds so there's no real weight to any of the death scenes. Springsteen's excellent performance as Angela really carries the film for me. Felissa is still the best, obviously, but I rather enjoy Springsteen's more jovial take on the character.

7/10

336Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 9:23 am

Bernard Marx

Jacob’s Ladder (1990), starring Tim Robbins. A very surreal piece of 90s independent American cinema. Whilst this psychological thriller initially seems bizarre in terms of structure, it’s a rather excellent and underrated quasi-horror film with great direction and a real sense of atmosphere. The opening scene set in Vietnam is particularly well done, as are the closing 10 minutes where the underlying truth behind the narrative is unveiled.

Oh- and it got a remake this year. And it was apparently fucking shit.

337Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 9:33 am

iank

iank
What a shock. Wink

338Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 10:20 am

Bernard Marx

It’s happened to every film of the genre at this stage, let’s face it. Hollywood seems incapable of making anything in this day and age without squandering the past.

339Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:17 am

Mott1

Oh God not a Jacobs Ladder remake! The original was great... about the only remake I've seen that I thought worked was The Omen.

340Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:22 am

Bernard Marx

@Mott1 wrote:Oh God not a Jacobs Ladder remake! The original was great... about the only remake I've seen that I thought worked was The Omen.
Yes. It was made. https://m.imdb.com/title/tt3016748/?ref_=m_nv_sr_1
Glad you’re a fan of the original. I loved it on my latest viewing.

I never saw the remake of The Omen (or any of the Omen sequels) as I assumed it would be shit. Should I check it out?

341Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 6:01 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
LOL 2.8/10 on IMDB LOL Serves them fucking right.

342Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 6:05 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Last night and this afternoon I rewatched the two Tim Burton Batman movies.

I have to say the people of Gotham rather strain credibility in their stupidity in these films. But other than that I really liked revisiting these films.

343Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 6:08 pm

Bernard Marx

Commander Maxil wrote:LOL 2.8/10 on IMDB LOL Serves them fucking right.
It’s only 0.7 away from the Star Wars Holiday Special. LOL
I might just watch it out of morbid curiosity.

344Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 6:08 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Labyrinth (1986)

David Bowie excels in this visually astonishing fantasy film. The set and creature design are worthy of much praise and Jennifer Connolly is very beautiful and charismatic as the lead protagonist. The soundtrack is truly legendary:

345Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 6:10 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Labyrinth is a great film.

Just whatever you do, don't go and see it if it gets a cinematic reshowing in your area.

You will most likely find yourself sitting in earshot of some insufferable Labyrinth fangirls who'll insist on spoiling the film by reciting every line of dialogue as it plays on.

346Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 7:13 pm

Mott1

The Omen remake was a bit like the Psycho one - very similar to the original but did well to hit all the right beats. The critics were a bit harsh on that occasion: perhaps the superimposed Hitchcock cameo upset them.

347Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 7:14 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
I didn't check out The Omen remake on principle, and still haven't any intention to.

I never saw the point of remaking a film that was already fine as it was.

348Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:04 pm

iank

iank
Same here. What on Earth was the point? To pander to people who can't bear to watch something more than 10 years old?

The New Kids. The  teenage son and daughter of an army Colonel are forced to go live with relatives in a small town in Florida when their parents are killed in a car crash. As if the culture shock of their new lives isn't enough, things get even worse when the girl attracts the unwanted attention of several members of a notorious local teen gang - and they don't take kindly to being rebuffed, beginning a campaign of harassment and intimidation. The brother decides he's had enough and retaliates and puts them in their place - but standing up to these bullies only enrages them further, and the teen siblings soon find themselves fighting for their very lives... I've never seen this mid 80s flick before, or even heard of it till recently, but it's a thoroughly enjoyable thriller with a decent cast including Lori Loughlin, Eric Stoltz and cult fave Tom Atkins (albeit for about five minutes!) but stealing the show is undoubtedly a young James Spader as the main villain, already leaving teeth marks in the scenery as the drug-snorting, leering, unbelievably narcissistic and just plain deranged leader of the gang. He and his cohorts are so thoroughly, irredeemably loathsome that the last act, in which their attempts to murder the siblings in cold blood backfires and each of them gets taken out in true grisly 80s movie fashion, is enormously satisfying. This movie is AWESOME.  LOL
And I must spare a moment to mention the Blu ray slipcover, designed to look like a videotape is coming out of the - suitably battered - clearly original 80s VHS rental cover art design. Glorious.  Big Grin

349Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:12 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
Chief Caretaker
Frankenhooker (1990)

Scientist Jeffrey Franken attempts to rebuild his deceased girlfriend from the remaining body parts of hookers that exploded after being exposed to "super crack." This rip-roaring comedy is absolutely brilliant and so utterly twisted Big Grin

350Films - Page 14 Empty Re: Films on Fri 30 Aug 2019, 11:33 pm

Bernard Marx

Saw Once Upon a Time in Hollywood merely a few hours ago. I’ll post a full review later after I’ve gathered my thoughts on it.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 14 of 18]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum