You are not connected. Please login or register

Films

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down  Message [Page 10 of 11]

226Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:14 pm

Charade. Audrey Hepburn is a young woman whose husband - who she's already planning to divorce - turns up first murdered and then to not be who she thought he was. It soon transpires that some very dangerous people want what they claim he stole from them - and now they think she's got it. Cary Grant co-stars in this mid 60s Alfred Hitchcock thriller that I really enjoyed for the most part. It has to be said, much of the "romantic comedy banter" stuff between Hepburn (who I otherwise rather liked) and Grant is painful and cringey as hell, but the mystery/thriller stuff (which is thankfully most of the film) stands up well, bouyed further by an excellent supporting cast including Walter Matthau, James Coburn and George Kennedy (all younger than I've ever seen them before lol!). All in all I rather liked this. Smile

View user profile

227Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:02 pm

Saw Charade recently and liked it.
Also recently (well, Christmas) watched Talking Pictures channel and caught Hammer's long-thought-lost vintage comedy 'The Ugly Duckling' - not without interest since I'd never seen it before and it starred Jon Pertwee along with Bernard Bresslaw and even utilised James Bernard's Dracula theme whenever Jeckle turned into Teddy Hyde!
A more recent film I'm curious to see is the new Stan & Ollie film...

View user profile

228Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 pm

Watched a film last night called Robot Overlords, the box described it as Transformers meets Doctor Who. I have no idea what they were on about. It was a terrible film. A poor man's Pacific Rim meets Tripods. Oh, if only I hadn't listened to that four-star review from Fortean Times... Mad

View user profile

229Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:25 am

The Magnificent Seven. A small farming community terrorised by outlaws who steal most of their crops hire a group of gunslingers to fight back. Yul Brynner leads a fine cast (Steve McQueen, Charles Bronson, Robert Vaughn, James Coburn) in this surprisingly still very entertaining and pacy 1960 Western action-adventure. Good fun, I enjoyed it.

View user profile

230Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:48 pm

The Medusa Touch. A police inspector investigates a brutal attempted murder that leaves a man in a coma, only to discover the victim has a history going back to childhood of people he dislikes dying in strange ways, and that he himself believed he had telekinetic powers. Richard Burton and Lee Remick (along with a fine supporting cast of British character actors) star in this late 70s British supernatural thriller that I had never seen before and no idea what was about, but really enjoyed it. Had no idea where it was going either, but it was fascinating and intriguing and spooky (in the way only 70s movies can be) enough to keep my attention through to the simply insane ending. I liked it!

View user profile

231Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Outland. Sean Connery is a Marshal on a mining outfit on the planet Io, where he links a string of bizarre suicides to illegal amphetamines being provided to the miners to amp up their productivity by the corrupt general manager, and soon learns he's expected to take hush money and not rock the boat. He doesn't. Peter Boyle and Frances Sternhagen co-star in this gritty early 80s science fiction thriller that essentially transplants some old school Western themes into an SF setting. I have seen this before, but a very long time ago (like early 90s) and couldn't remember it at all, but thoroughly enjoyed it.

View user profile

232Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Happy Death Day 2U. Oh dear. The original was a slight but fun throwback to the late 90s teen slasher craze. This is pure modern cinema.
Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

View user profile

233Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:41 pm

I saw Vice at the cinema. Entertaining. Love Cheney Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

View user profile

234Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Deadpool 2. Wasn't a fan of the first movie but this was a step up. An enjoyable if slightly bloated ride.

View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

235Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:17 pm

Can't Hardly Wait. With graduation over and just one last big blowout high school party left to go, Preston (Ethan Embry) has just a few hours left to tell the girl of his dreams (Jennifer Love Hewitt) how he feels about her. I hadn't seen this late 90s teen comedy for about 14 years despite having it on DVD, but just upgraded it to a Blu ray and actually thoroughly enjoyed it last night. I must admit I like it more than the American Pie's, probably because the humour is a lot less of the cringe/grossout variety (which seems to be all modern comedies consist of these days). There's a great ensemble and almost a who's who of late 90s young Hollywood, and Seth Green all but steals the show with his laughable wannabe gangster talk. It looks lovely on Blu too, so glad I upgraded. Smile

View user profile

236Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:43 pm

I see Rat Race (2001) is on again this week. One of the best 'road trip / competition' films out there - like It's A Mad Mad Mad Mad World but less dark-tinged and with extra laughs. Definitely contains one of John Cleese's better (relatively) recent turns, too.

View user profile

237Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:22 am

Alita Battle Angel. Okay if you like that sort of thing, I guess.

View user profile

238Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:19 am

Commander Maxil

Commander Maxil
Dick Tater
Johnny English Strikes Again.

The weakest of the three but still enjoyably old school.

239Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:24 pm

The Family Stone. An uptight woman is nervous about meeting her boyfriend's family for the first time on the Christmas holidays, and her fears quickly start coming true when they take to her like a bucket of cold sick. But the festive season holds a number of surprises.... There's a great ensemble cast (Claire Danes, Diane Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Sarah Jessica Parker, Dermot Mulroney, Luke Wilson, Craig T Nelson) in this funny and warm mid-2000s family comedy. Saw this at the cinema back then and enjoyed it, but for some reason never got it on DVD at the time and only just saw it again. Still a good film.

View user profile

240Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:20 am

Saw Captain Marvel recently and it was decent. The humour wasn't obnoxious like a lot of the other Marvel movies and there were enough twists to the formula to make the movie feel fresh.

241Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:17 pm

ClockworkOcean

ClockworkOcean
Dick Tater
@Adam Ant Driver wrote:Saw Captain Marvel recently and it was decent.
If that's true, then someone really ought to inform Larson that explicitly attacking her target audience on the basis of their involuntary birth characteristics isn't a particularly clever marketing strategy.

242Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:26 pm

I don't know, they're all it these days. Racism and sexism are cool again, kiddies, so long as you have the right target!

Cunts. First against the wall etc...

View user profile

243Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:02 pm

@ClockworkOcean wrote:someone really ought to inform Larson that explicitly attacking her target audience on the basis of their involuntary birth characteristics isn't a particularly clever marketing strategy.
When did this happen? There's the clip of her circulating around where she talks about wanting more diversity when it comes to film critics so there's more opinions out there, where she doesn't attack anyone in the clip and in fact, feels the need to stress multiple times that she doesn't hate white men because it was obviously going to be clipped and removed of context and put on the internet so people can get outraged.

Is that what you're talking about? Or is this just another Star Wars situation where stars or behind the scenes people call out pricks for bullying and harrassing them online and then bearded middle-aged pricks who make youtube videos every single day doing nothing but complaining about and insulting women involved in "their" franchises play the victim and pretend all Star Wars fans are being attacked?

244Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:06 pm

Commander Maxil

Commander Maxil
Dick Tater
Brie spat in my pasta the other day. The woman's a menace!

245Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:12 pm

@Adam Ant Driver wrote:That's the only thing that worries me about the new one. He made Han Solo work in The Force Awakens because of the charisma, actually trying to act for the first time in years probably because they finally gave him his wish to kill the character. Even then there were points where seeing him hobble along in the more action packed scenes were just sad. Part of that might have been because he broke his leg on the set, but still.

He might still be looking pretty good for his age, but watching him try to carry a film that requires stunts and action might be more embarrassing than exciting.

I would have thought the story would have Ford taking more of a background role with younger actors doing the action - a son / daughter or grandson / granddaughter maybe.

View user profile

246Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Mon Apr 29, 2019 9:34 am

Avengers: Endgame. The remaining Avengers reassemble in a last ditch effort to defeat Thanos and reverse the murder of billions in this big blowout movie that is essentially the end of the MCU as we know it. I'm not the biggest fan of the genre, but even at the buttnumbing 3 hour running time I was kept engaged and entertained, and the ending was actually a bit of a choker. Sad
Good film, though it's difficult to see this series maintaining this momentum now. I don't find most of the 'replacement' characters coming in terribly appealing, to be honest.

View user profile

247Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:01 pm

Wait Until Dark 1967 with Audrey Hepburn, Richard Crenna and Alan Arkin. Its was remade in the eighties but i don't know anything about that version.

Great little film with Hepburn playing a blind woman who is terrorised in her own apartment by 3 bad guys who are seeking to retrieve a doll stuffed with drugs which is in her flat. Hepburn is brilliant as the woman and Arkin is a tad creepy as one of the bad guys. The climax is terrific in my view.

View user profile

248Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:49 pm

ClockworkOcean

ClockworkOcean
Dick Tater
@Adam Ant Driver wrote:When did this happen?
It's a perfectly accurate description of her conduct surrounding A Wrinkle in Time. She hijacked a franchise had absolutely nothing to do with racial and gendered divides after its creator died, started telling fans and customers of that franchise that it's "not for them" and that they don't have the right to an opinion on it on the basis of their race and gender. Why shouldn't people be outraged? Racism and sexism are outrageous things, if you ask me.

249Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:31 pm

@ClockworkOcean wrote: Why shouldn't people be outraged? Racism and sexism are outrageous things, if you ask me.

Not if they're aimed at white people or men. That's not only acceptable, it's common accepted practice in 2019.

View user profile

250Films - Page 10 Empty Re: Films on Fri May 10, 2019 4:09 pm

Detective Pikachu

Had a great turn from Bill Nighy, who becomes a fairly important character in the film and just chews that scenery. All the best moments with Ryan Reynolds were in the trailers but it still has a simple, twisty, story with heart and pace sustaining it. The villain's master plan is a direct steal from Batman '89 and Freaky Friday...and if you can understand that, you can guess the outcome pretty easily. It eventually becomes pure Saturday morning. Perfect if you've followed the anime and games when you were younger, but you'll be lost when they start referencing things you need a crash course in the game lore to understand, or even list Pokemon you can't recgonise because you're a Gen One fan. 7/10

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 10 of 11]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum