The Hive

You are not connected. Please login or register

Films

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down  Message [Page 6 of 8]

126 Re: Films on Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:27 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
Jeepers Creepers 3. Complete and utter shit.

View user profile http://thehiveforum.forumotion.com

127 Re: Films on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:45 pm

I'm confused. Did you like it or not? Stop beating around the bush and say what you really think, man!

Big Grin

View user profile

128 Re: Films on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Murder on the Orient Express. No, not the uber-modern version with Kenneth Branagh, the original 70s flick with Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot. A stellar cast including Sean Connery, Lauren Bacall, Anthony Perkins, Ingrid Bergman and others line up to get a grilling from the Belgian detective when a businessman with a false identity gets murdered on the famous train. Beautifully made old school fun.

View user profile

129 Re: Films on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Hey Arnold: The Jungle Movie: Very entertaining follow-up to the 1990s animated series. Was surprisingly dark for a kids network film at 7PM, with heart-wrenching moments and character deaths, and it provides fans with adequate closure on the Arnold/Helga love story, with the two beginning a relationship that Word of God states many a time lasts their entire lives.

View user profile

130 Re: Films on Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:45 pm

@iank wrote:Murder on the Orient Express. No, not the uber-modern version with Kenneth Branagh, the original 70s flick with Albert Finney as Hercule Poirot. A stellar cast including Sean Connery, Lauren Bacall, Anthony Perkins, Ingrid Bergman and others line up to get a grilling from the Belgian detective when a businessman with a false identity gets murdered on the famous train. Beautifully made old school fun.

Having enjoyed this when I was growing up there didn't seem to be much point in going to see the Branagh remake (surely the problem with many of these projects?). Except to see if they needed the wide shot just to get all of his glorious moustache on screen...

Oscar Wilde
View user profile

131 Re: Films on Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:55 pm

Wild Beasts. PCP in the water supply makes animals very, very angry in this ludicrous but insanely entertaining mid 80s German horror flick, and it's not long before wild animals from a local zoo escape and go on a mad rampage in a city. There's some terrible acting and dialogue, but this barmy "animals attack!" movie is an absolute fricking hoot nonetheless, complete with some lunatic set-pieces (a tiger on a subway train, a cheetah pursuing a speeding car, a polar bear stalking kids in a school) I've certainly never seen before. What a riot! Big Grin LOL

View user profile

132 Re: Films on Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:04 pm

Parents. A quiet, withdrawn little boy seems paranoid and obsessed with the idea that his 1950s picture book perfect suburban parents are hiding dark secrets - secrets somehow connected to the endless supply of "leftovers" that end up on his plate at every mealtime. Randy Quaid stars in this seriously bizarre but rather wonderful late 80s darkly comic horror flick that is a true surreal cult gem. Incredibly strange but hypnotically compelling and even genuinely frightening at times.

View user profile

133 Re: Films on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:37 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi. A long time ago in a galaxy far far away comes a long, bloated and extremely underwhelming sequel full of inconsistencies and side stories that accomplish nothing and add nothing to the main plot.

After 'The Force Awakens' played it too safe and effectively remade 'A New Hope', The Last Jedi puts so much effort into doing the unexpected it forgets to be entertaining. I might write a full spoiler-filled review in the Star Wars thread but to keep it short I'll just say that it wasn't very good.

134 Re: Films on Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:59 pm

I liked it  in parts (I'm a guilty Rylo 'shipper so anything with them was brilliant), but it was just a "bunch of stuff that happened", and, worse, it ends in such a way where you do not need a third film at all.

And don't get me started on Carrie Poppins

View user profile

135 Re: Films on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:11 pm

I was keeping up with Ian's films, but this Space Wars flick seems a bit obscure for me...

Oscar Wilde
View user profile

136 Re: Films on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:50 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
@Zarius wrote:I liked it  in parts (I'm a guilty Rylo 'shipper so anything with them was brilliant), but it was just a "bunch of stuff that happened", and, worse, it ends in such a way where you do not need a third film at all.

And don't get me started on Carrie Poppins

I don't get into shipping of any kind but the Rey and Kylo do play off each other well and their scenes were pretty good. Their little co-op fight against the guards was good (despite the fact both of them seem to forget they could easily wreck all of them with the force) and the twists with them were interesting even if some were stupid or caused problems.

The Leia scene was one of those scenes so bad you almost want to laugh out loud.

137 Re: Films on Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:53 pm

I just have no interest in these movies, despite loving the OT as a kid (I haven't even seen them for 20 years). I did rent Rogue One, and turned it off in complete and utter disinterest within 30 minutes...

View user profile

138 Re: Films on Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:45 am

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
@iank wrote:I just have no interest in these movies, despite loving the OT as a kid (I haven't even seen them for 20 years). I did rent Rogue One, and turned it off in complete and utter disinterest within 30 minutes...
Rogue One is one of my favourite Star Wars movies but it does jump around different planets and characters too much at the start. I can see why it didn't hook you in if you already don't care much about the franchise.

You're probably right not to. I think you and several others posted in the Star Wars thread about milking the cash cow and they didn't even try to hide it in The Last Jedi in an almost meta scene where Luke Skywalker milks a giant space creature and drinks its green milk (blue milk has already been done so they have to make it different) while mugging at the camera.

139 Re: Films on Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:14 pm

Adam Ant Driver

Dick Tater
Blade Runner 2049. An amazing science fiction noir-inspired detective story. It managed to recreate the word perfectly and the effects were nothing short of flawless. 15 minutes or so of the 2 hour 40+ minute runtime could have been trimmed but it was still an enjoyably bleak experience.

140 Re: Films on Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:11 am

The Belko Experiment. A group of office workers find themselves trapped inside their corporate building and told by a mysterious voice to kill a certain amount of their colleagues - or they'll all die. Initial incredulity soon turns to fear, panic, and eventually, inevitably - violence. And you thought your colleagues were bad! This 2017 horror thriller was way better than I expected, with a strong cast, chilling premise and very fine execution that kept me on the edge of my seat throughout. I really enjoyed this! Big Grin

View user profile

141 Re: Films on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Black Christmas. A sorority house is plagued by obscene and weird phone calls over the Christmas season, and then a sorority sister disappears as the body of a schoolgirl is found in a nearby park. A maniac killer is stalking the sorority sisters and may be closer than they even realise in this bone-chilling mid 70s horror flick starring Olivia Hussey, Margot Kidder, Keir Dullea and John Saxon. A brilliant, eerie and genuinely unsettling slice of horror cinema that has lost none of its power to scare in the 44 years since its original release, Black Christmas was once a rather obscure cult favourite but was rediscovered in the 2000s when it finally made it onto wide home media release, and is now acknowledged for the classic it is. I've loved this flick for decades, and it's nice to finally have it on a rather super Blu ray too. Big Grin

View user profile

142 Re: Films on Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:03 am

Went to the cinema to see Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle. A bunch of high schoolers come across an old video game that, when activated, drag them headlong into the game in the guise of the "avatars" of the characters they chose to play... and may never let them get back again. This follow-up to the original film from the mid 90s with Robin Williams is a very loose sequel - aside from one moment referencing Williams' character it could just be as easily be a reboot - but is a pretty decent flick nonetheless. An entertaining tongue in cheek fantasy adventure, it doesn't reinvent the wheel but it passes its runtime amiably enough, and the cast - especially Jack Black as a flighty teenage girl stuck in the body of a middle aged man, and of course our own Karen Gillan as the awkward girl turned badass - are game enough to make it fun.

View user profile

143 Re: Films on Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:52 pm

Couldn't make it to the end of The Limehouse Golem, I'm afraid. Found this very dull, very disappointing and very "not as advertised". Seemed to be more interested in telling the story of this woman's love life and music hall career than the Victorian serial killer thriller it was billed as, and left me bored and ultimately reaching for the remote...

View user profile

144 Re: Films on Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:19 pm

Just watched The Skeleton Key, was pretty good. Strongly resembled Dorian Gray and with an element of Pandorica's Box. What was the point of getting John Hurt to play a mute cripple? An actor of that calibre, capable of giving a dynamic performance should surely get something better, still, he took the role so...

Mad

View user profile

145 Re: Films on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:04 pm

V The Movie Coming With Original Creator
The beloved '80s sci-fi miniseries V is finally being made into a movie.

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/movies/v/270863/v-the-movie-coming-with-original-creator

View user profile

146 Re: Films on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:19 pm

I recall they revived V a few years ago. Never watched it though...any good?

View user profile

147 Re: Films on Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:33 pm

No, it was awful. This one does at least have Kenneth Johnson (who created it originally) attached though, unlike the TV reboot.

View user profile

148 Re: Films on Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:18 am

I am not fond of superhero films but nothing else was on at the cinema so I went and saw Black Panther. It was fantastic. Martin Freeman seemed miscast and his American accent seemed a bit clipped. But the film was pacey, well-acted, not bogged down in continuity or pro-PC messages and was genuinely engaging.

View user profile

149 Re: Films on Sun Mar 04, 2018 4:19 pm

That looks like it could be a really terrible film Sad

View user profile

150 Re: Films on Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Saw Red Sparrow, great Hitchcockian film. Saw an article complaining about how sexist it is despite her character getting the better of every other character in the film and outwitting seasoned spies and I was going to say how wrong they are but I can't be bothered. Go see it for yourself, it's great.

Fuck me.

Some people won't be happy unless every film is Thelma and Louise.

Last edited by Mr. Happy on Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 6 of 8]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum