Boofer
Defeatment
Mr Seta
CurrentMe
Adam Ant Driver
20 posters

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down  Message [Page 2 of 3]

26Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 3rd February 2018, 1:17 am

Clayton Dickman

Clayton Dickman

Utter hamminess doesn't translate so well in audio form.

27Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 3rd February 2018, 8:16 am

iank

iank

Which is why Colin's by far the best audio Doctor. Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

28Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 27th February 2018, 4:49 pm

Lunchtoiletdweller

Lunchtoiletdweller

Mr. Happy wrote:I think that Toiletman is confusing the Colin Baker era with this:

Actually, I'd watch this for a week straight before I'd suffer even 10 minutes of Trial

29Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 27th February 2018, 5:46 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

BobDominelliSudbury wrote:
Mr. Happy wrote:I think that Toiletman is confusing the Colin Baker era with this:

Actually, I'd watch this for a week straight before I'd suffer even 10 minutes of Trial

Last edited by Commander Maxil on 12th October 2018, 6:02 pm; edited 3 times in total

30Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 27th February 2018, 6:15 pm

Mott1

Mott1

I saw Terror Of The Vervoids again recently, I still find it a guilty pleasure. Camp but funny one-liners and that twist in the tale at the end... whilst I do find Time And The Rani a cringe fest despite O'Mara's performance and the bubble traps - for some reason the Bakers seemed more comfortable writing for their namesake playing the Doctor. In my opinion!

31Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 27th February 2018, 9:20 pm

iank

iank

I believe TATR was originally written to be Colin's regeneration story.

32Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 27th February 2018, 10:47 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

iank wrote:I believe TATR was originally written to be Colin's regeneration story.

Works better as an introduction story. It is almost too lightweight to be a Doctor's regeneration story. As much as I love the story it would have been a disaster for the Sixth Doctor's reputation had he starred in it. His reputation isn't perfect that it would be almost basement level if he had something like that ending his era.

33Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 28th February 2018, 1:27 pm

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

34Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 20th May 2018, 11:39 am

Rawkuss

Rawkuss

35Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 12th October 2018, 5:54 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Mott1 wrote:I saw Terror Of The Vervoids again recently, I still find it a guilty pleasure. Camp but funny one-liners and that twist in the tale at the end... whilst I do find Time And The Rani a cringe fest despite O'Mara's performance and the bubble traps - for some reason the Bakers seemed more comfortable writing for their namesake playing the Doctor. In my opinion!

I've warmed to Vervoids. I actually like the Six/Mel combination better than Six/Peri. I also like the Malcolm Clarke score and some of the guest stars. The downside to the story is the Vervoids themselves.

I don't dislike Trial as much as I used to. It holds up remarkably well considering all the behind the scenes stuff that was going on at the time. I think I wanted it to be better than was realistically possible.

36Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 9:21 pm

REDACTED

Season 22 is one of my favorite seasons of Classic Who, with Colin and Nicola on fine form, the stories (with the exception of Timelash, which is at least still enjoyable) are brilliant and what makes them work is how they are all different flavors with Attack Of The Cybermen being a fun action thriller, Vengeance Of Varos being a thought provoking satire on reality TV, Mark Of The Rani being a lighthearted silly breather tale, The Two Doctors being a fun and witty dark comedy and Revelation Of The Daleks being a dark, morbid horror based tale, throw in a more darker, edgier tone and you have a rather standout season and probably the most underrated season of Who. 9.5/10.

Season 23 on the other hand is a mixed bag, The Mysterious Planet is a fun runaround, but Mindwarp is tedious and suffers from a badly handled script, yet Nicola gives a great final performance as Peri and Colin's acting at the end makes up for his OTT hammy performance as an insane Doctor, Terror Of The Vervoids is a decent murder mystery tale, yet it is here where the Trial interruptions are at their worst and finally The Ultimate Foe, which has a good fun first part with Colin giving one of his best performances in the scene where he calls the Time Lords out on their treacherous behavior but goes downhill during the second part and becomes a convoluted mess. With the Trial subplot (a metaphor for the series at the time) being intrusive and adding in a more neutered, lighter tone after the backlash of 22, Season 23 while still decent remains quite a comedown after its predecessor and sadly it could have been better. 5/10.

So overall, The Colin Baker Years were when the BBC's attempts to axe the show were becoming more prominent and fans started jumping ship, yet it also holds a lot of underrated gems and doesn't deserve the scorn it often gets: A-.

BTW, sorry if this post was a little long.

37Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 9:28 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

TheWatcher wrote:Season 22 is one of my favorite seasons of Classic Who, with Colin and Nicola on fine form, the stories (with the exception of Timelash, which is at least still enjoyable) are brilliant and what makes them work is how they are all different flavors with Attack Of The Cybermen being a fun action thriller, Vengeance Of Varos being a thought provoking satire on reality TV, Mark Of The Rani being a lighthearted silly breather tale, The Two Doctors being a fun and witty dark comedy and Revelation Of The Daleks being a dark, morbid horror based tale, throw in a more darker, edgier tone and you have a rather standout season and probably the most underrated season of Who. 9.5/10.

Season 23 on the other hand is a mixed bag, The Mysterious Planet is a fun runaround, but Mindwarp is tedious and suffers from a badly handled script, yet Nicola gives a great final performance as Peri and Colin's acting at the end makes up for his OTT hammy performance as an insane Doctor, Terror Of The Vervoids is a decent murder mystery tale, yet it is here where the Trial interruptions are at their worst and finally The Ultimate Foe, which has a good fun first part with Colin giving one of his best performances in the scene where he calls the Time Lords out on their treacherous behavior but goes downhill during the second part and becomes a convoluted mess. With the Trial subplot (a metaphor for the series at the time) being intrusive and adding in a more neutered, lighter tone after the backlash of 22, Season 23 while still decent remains quite a comedown after its predecessor and sadly it could have been better. 5/10.

So overall, The Colin Baker Years were when the BBC's attempts to axe the show were becoming more prominent and fans started jumping ship, yet it also holds a lot of underrated gems and doesn't deserve the scorn it often gets: A-.

BTW, sorry if this post was a little long.

Great post!

Welcome to the forum.

38Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 9:37 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Welcome aboard Watcher. Big Grin

39Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 9:40 pm

REDACTED

Thanks guys.

40Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 10:36 pm

iank

iank

Welcome. I completely agree. The gulf in quality between 22 and 23 is enormous and the blame can only be laid at the feet of the interfering BBC.

41Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 10:42 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Yes, Trial is dodgy.

Season 24 stomps all over it.

42Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 10:43 pm

REDACTED

Yeah, TATR aside, Season 24 is a more fun, solid attempt at going for a lighter season without the 'neutered' feel of 23.

43Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 15th May 2019, 11:21 pm

iank

iank

Agree again. 24 is deliberately trying something different, even if they haven't worked out the kinks yet. 23 really does feel just neutered and like they're really not sure what to do with the show anymore.

44Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 16th May 2019, 3:55 am

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

I was gutted when Season 23 was aired because I quite enjoyed both Season 21 and Season 22 which I felt had been some of the best Doctor Who for years, and then suddenly we were hit with a load of shit incredibly even worse than the Graham Williams years.

Saward had the right idea in resigning, it's shame both he and JNT fell out instead of being in solidarity against the BBC interference and them both resigning together when it was apparent the BBC were trying to strangle the show.

The BBC would've soon bowed to pressure and eventually reinstated them both again without neutering the series further.

I doubt Colin Baker would've been fired either and used as a scapegoat.

It was shame after the potential shown in Season 22 that the BBC spunked it all away cos of Grade.

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

45Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 16th May 2019, 11:22 am

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I like the second half of Season 22 far more than I do the first.

46Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 19th May 2019, 10:08 pm

Doctor7

Well the first story I liked of his because of his relationship with his mentor Azmael,we have the the controversial scene where the doctor chokes peri but that is due to post regenerative trauma but I liked Colin his chemistry ,with Azmael so I give it a 6.9 out of 10.Attack of the cybermen decent story I give it a 7 out of 1p the merchenery lyton returns I loved vengeance on varos 8.8 out of 10 I love the slug sil very fascinating villain good allegory about being watched aka 1984 and the torture chamber. Two doctors was good good to have pat troughton back on top form albeit greyed as the second doctor and Jamie back the cannibal shockeye was acted very well too.Colin kills him in defense " his just desserts"

47Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 20th May 2019, 3:38 pm

Doctor7

Mark of The Rani good story,I love the villain the Rani she is a very interesting complex scientific genius and it is cool to see Anthony Ainley back as the Master .8.0 out of 10. Revelation of The Daleks I like this story but there are dalek stories I like better then this one . Davros is is the great healer in this story. Colin baker and Nicola Bryan the sixth doctor and peri t seem to get along better not as much banter. Oh I forgot timelash I don't like that one as much it is just sort of meh in my opinion .

48Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 20th May 2019, 5:30 pm

Doctor7

Trial of a time lord ok the doctor was technically on trial already in the war games, and exiled to earth but i liked the courtroom banter between the sixth doctor and the valeyard .My favorite segment in it is maybe terror of the vervoids is my favorite segments. I liked seeing sil back in mindwarp and then that shock ending of peri being taken over by lord kiv was something else .in the ultimate foe Colin baker does excellent acting delivering a great speech then we find out the valeyard is a future dark nature of the doctor somewhere between his twelfth and final incarnation. That was something else the fact the doctor could succumb to his dark side .I found that fascinating,Mel first appears in this story boy does she scream good ! By the way i agree with the sixth doctor I don't like carrot juice either. I give this story and segments a 7.5 out of 10.

49Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 20th May 2019, 6:51 pm

Rob Filth

Rob Filth

My Own personal ratings for Colins era:

Twin Dilemma 5/10 (okay the twins and Hugo Lang are shite, but the 6th Doc/Peri/Azmael interplay is good)
Attack Of the Cybermen 8/10
Vengeance On Varos 7/10 (Great script - shit direction)
Mark Of The Rani 7/10(lovely direction, slightly silly script but enjoyable)
Two Doctors 8/10
Timelash 6/10
Revelation of the Daleks 9/10
Mysterious Planet 4/10
Mindwarp 2/10
Terror Of The Vervoids 5/10
Ultimate Foe 5/10

http://www.thefuckingobvious.com

50Colin Baker era opinions? - Page 2 Empty Re: Colin Baker era opinions? 20th May 2019, 10:01 pm

stengos

stengos

I enjoyed season 22. The only story I didn't enjoy so much was Timelash but Revelation and Attack were excellent imho. To me it felt that the programme was riding high and continuing the success of the Davison years (especially season 21). I was quite surprised when I heard the show was being put on hiatus for a while.

The standard dropped somewhat with Trial which was a great shame. The trial idea itself was a bad move and produced a load of tedious court room scenes  which slowed the narrative of each story down. Vervoids was probably the most enjoyable of the stories - a whodunit in space - but the introduction of Mel was virtually the last straw for me.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 2 of 3]

Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum