Favorite Trilogy I_vote_lcap13%Favorite Trilogy I_vote_rcap 13% [ 2 ]
Favorite Trilogy I_vote_lcap7%Favorite Trilogy I_vote_rcap 7% [ 1 ]
Favorite Trilogy I_vote_lcap20%Favorite Trilogy I_vote_rcap 20% [ 3 ]
Favorite Trilogy I_vote_lcap27%Favorite Trilogy I_vote_rcap 27% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Favorite Trilogy Empty Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 7:38 pm

REDACTED

80's Who was quite fond of trilogies, but which one gets your vote?

2Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 7:55 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

E-Space trilogy, by default. It is the most consistent of the lot. It doesn't have a Resurrection or a Terminus letting it down.

I think I'd be fonder of the Mater Returns trilogy if it truly had been the final showdown with the Master and Castrovalva really had been his final demise (but because it wasn't it all feels like a rather pointless, wasted venture).

3Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:01 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Full Circle, State Of Decay and Warriors’ Gate are all great. I’m not the biggest fan of any of the New Beginnings trilogy myself. I’ll also be controversial and say that I like all of the Black Guardian trilogy- even Terminus. Revelation and Remembrance are superb, though Resurrection is far from being a favourite of mine. What were the ‘Ace Trilogy’ stories again?

4Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:07 pm

TiberiusDidNothingWrong

TiberiusDidNothingWrong
Dick Tater

New Beginnings, three stories in series that are among the best imo - also marking the end of an era.

Civil War is close enough. I like Resurrection a lot even if parts are sub-par.

What is the Ace Trilogy? I know Dragonfire and the Happiness Patrol were sold together ... or is it the Ace Background stories in 26?

The others are good enough, only slightly dull in parts.

5Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:10 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I presume the Ace trilogy means the Ace-centric focus going on in the last three stories of Season 26 (Ghostlight, Gurse of Fenric, Survival).

6Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:10 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

If so, I’m tempted to vote for that personally. Though it’s a contest between that and E-Space.

7Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:11 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

The Ace trilogy without a doubt. I also like to call it the Evolution trilogy, as all three stories have themes about evolution and the beginning of time. In Ghost Light, Light wanted to set the course of the human race back into a devolved nature, so they couldn't have free will. In Curse of Fenric, the Doctor is literally fighting against the first form of Evil itself, and the Vampires/Haemavores were all linked back to ancient times, and finally Survival is about a person's form of primal state, their id being unleashed, how we could devolve if we allowed our id to take precedence over any form of control, much like our Ego/Super Ego. Quite frankly, not only does all three stories develop Ace's character extraordinarily well, but how Marc Platt, Ian Briggs and Rona Munro talk about Evolution is absolutely stupendous.

8Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:12 pm

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:I presume the Ace trilogy means the Ace-centric focus going on in the last three stories of Season 26 (Ghostlight, Gurse of Fenric, Survival).

Correct.

9Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:14 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:The Ace trilogy without a doubt. I also like to call it the Evolution trilogy, as all three stories have themes about evolution and the beginning of time. In Ghost Light, Light wanted to set the course of the human race back into a devolved nature, so they couldn't have free will. In Curse of Fenric, the Doctor is literally fighting against the first form of Evil itself, and the Vampires/Haemavores were all linked back to ancient times, and finally Survival is about a person's form of primal state, their id being unleashed, how we could devolve if we allowed our id to take precedence over any form of control, much like our Ego/Super Ego. Quite frankly, not only does all three stories develop Ace's character extraordinarily well, but how Marc Platt, Ian Briggs and Rona Munro talk about Evolution is absolutely stupendous.
There’s some Jungian psychological undertones in Survival as well, especially in what seems to feature Ace confronting her own Shadow in the form of her ‘sister’. According to Jung, the shadow must be confronted and embraced in order to embed into one’s psyche, but not indulged too much to the point where it consumes you (as with Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights, Jekyll and Hyde (which also bares thematic resemblances to Ghost Light) etc), as it serves as a binary opposite to one’s ‘light’. The shadow usually appears as a vicious animal within one’s dream (and one of the same sex as the dreamer), though may appear more intelligent than initially obvious upon further inspection.

Anyway, enough of that. I’m going for the Ace Trilogy.

10Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 8:36 pm

cunt

cunt

i always hated when writers try to cover evolution, they never seem to understand a thing about it

11Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 9:38 pm

stengos

stengos

The e-space trilogy.

Then the Black Guardian one.

Then the Dalek trilogy.

12Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 10:26 pm

iank

iank

I can't say I've ever really remotely considered them a trilogy (same goes for the Dalek one), but since they're there I went for the Ace one.
I don't like the Master trilogy much at all, and have gone right off E-space of late (save Decay). I still really like the Guardian trilogy though.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

13Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 9th September 2019, 10:30 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

The Ace trilogy.

Ghost Light, Fenric and Survival is the best run of stories since The Myth Makers, Daleks' Masterplan and the Massacre.

14Favorite Trilogy Empty Re: Favorite Trilogy 11th September 2019, 9:28 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

The E Space trilogy. Doctor 4, Romana 2 and K9 just happen to be my favourite Doctor/companion combination and I like all three serials very much (especially the weird/surreal 'Warriors Gate').    
I was almost tempted to vote for the Dalek Civil War set of stories but the messy and uneven 'Resurrection' lets the side down, I'm afraid.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum