Stevewoodley86
DogStar2000
Richayard
Plain Old Dave
Mr Seta
42 posters

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next

Go down  Message [Page 20 of 28]

476Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 3rd October 2019, 12:53 am

Ludders

Ludders

Excellent read, Bernie.
I'm saving all the Dalek stories for a Dalak marathon, eventually. But yes, I remember being most unimpressed with Spitfires In Space, as I like to call it.
Good review of Ambassadors. I still prefer Silurians, but I do agree Ambassadors is underrated.

477Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 6th October 2019, 6:44 pm

REDACTED

Power Of The Daleks (1966)

After a while, I have finally decided to see the 2016 animated version and to be honest, I was a bit wary going in to it as I feared that the story would not live up to the hype.

Fortunately, I was proven wrong and the story was indeed brilliant, with a superb atmospheric plot, performances from the guest cast (Lesterson being the standout) and of course an excellent debut for Patrick Troughton. My only problem is the animation while decent, is not as good as previous efforts.

Power Of The Daleks is an excellent tale that remains one of the best outings for the Daleks and one of the best post regeneration stories. 5/5.

Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 F8702e10

478Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 7th October 2019, 9:55 pm

iank

iank

Saw The Daemons last night. Not exactly a favourite, which is probably why I haven't watched it in full for like 12 years, but for some reason I felt like giving it another whirl and ended up rather enjoying it. Oh I still think it's massively overrated and the resolution is frankly crap, but I still found the ride pretty entertaining this time around. Clearly I was just in the right mood. Cool

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

479Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th October 2019, 8:29 am

Ludders

Ludders

I started the S10 Blu Ray with The Three Doctors.
Enjoyable story, though not an outright classic in my opinion.
Personally, I think this would've been a good opportunity for a Master story, but the Omega idea was an intriguing one, although Stephen Thorne's 'stageyness' gets a bit a tedious. He was fine for Azal, because it was meant to be a huge, almost monolithic entity; but with Omega it soon becomes a bit irritating and one-dimensional.
People often say it's not a very good story for the Brigadier, and I can see the point when you look at how he started out in S7, but nevertheless I enjoy his scenes in the Tardis and don't find it particularly annoying or out of character, even though he's clearly the comic foil.
It's funny, when I first watched this at the age of 10 when it was first broadcast, I didn't particularly take to Pat Troughton's version of the Doctor. I preferred my Doctor to be deadly serious. And yet I was very intrigued by William Hartnell, whose Doctor I definitely preferred to Troughton. And still do if it comes down to it.
But these days I love the scenes of Pertwee and Troughton together, and even though Hartnell was clearly suffering his age and illness, his scenes are very heartwarming.
All in all, not a bad story. But compared to other stories in this season, it doesn't quite make the grade as a top notch story.
Nevertheless, I'd give it 8/10.

480Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 8th October 2019, 9:30 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Genesis of The Daleks.  I haven't watched it for years, but somehow, after two episodes, I just couldn't get into it this time. Maybe I'm too familiar with it, watched it too much.
Favourite line so far:

Ravon: "I enjoy interrogation".
Doctor: "Yes, you look the type".

481Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 9th October 2019, 3:50 pm

REDACTED

The Leisure Hive (1980)

Sleep Sleep

Why did I bother? The only bits that was remotely entertaining were Episode 1's cliffhanger and the 'arrest the scarf' exchange. 2/5.

482Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 9th October 2019, 4:52 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

Meglos is better.

483Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 9th October 2019, 9:46 pm

iank

iank

It really is.

484Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 10th October 2019, 9:56 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Thirded. The Leisure Hive may have better direction, but it’s infinitely duller in every capacity. Meglos is lightweight, but fun while it lasts.

485Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 10th October 2019, 8:33 pm

UncleDeadly

UncleDeadly

I tend to give Meglos a pass for how thoroughly weird it is. That and the Dodecahedron science vs religion stuff is pretty neat.

486Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 12th October 2019, 8:56 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

I'm watching Return of Doctor Mysterio for the 3rd time. Why am I enjoying this story? I should not be enjoying this story, but I am. It has a certain cheesy charm to it, and the direction is actually pretty good.
Have I gone soft on the Moffat era, especially after Series 11? I even watched Hell Bent recently, and while there's major flaws, I can at least see what Moffat was trying to do, and it's handling of the Doctor's character. Quite frankly, it used to be my least favourite DW story, but I've grown towards it, and consider Death In Heaven and Twice Upon a Time to be much worse.

487Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 12th October 2019, 10:34 pm

iank

iank

Castrovalva. Another one I've grown very cold on the last decade, but again actually really rather enjoyed. Does look nice on Blu ray too, esp the location footage.
I'm going soft too. Big Grin

488Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th October 2019, 4:46 pm

ClockworkOcean

Dick Tater

Mysterio is the only pre-Chibnall NuWho episode I haven't even bothered to watch once. I couldn't be arsed at the time, what little I have seen looks insufferably cheesy, and knowing that it contains yet more man-hating dialogue makes me even less inclined to give it a chance. NuWho is dead to me.

489Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th October 2019, 9:47 pm

iank

iank

That's Husbands for me. I did see about 5 minutes of Mysterio before turning it off. It was dreadful.

490Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 13th October 2019, 10:33 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

I can’t stand Mysterio in the slightest, frankly. Appallingly acted, camp, moronic and smug in the worst possible ways, yet also staggeringly dull. Even Capaldi didn’t seem arsed at all in it, and he usually does his best to liven up the turds of his era.

491Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th October 2019, 10:21 am

Ludders

Ludders

Continuing S10 with Carnival of Monsters

I've not seen this one for a long time, and remember as one of the lesser stories of the season, but I enjoyed it more than I thought.
It's a typically multi-flavoured Holmes script with a great mix of entertaining characters and plot elements. The subtle interplay between the grey faced bureaucrats of Inter Minor is huge fun to watch, although it's hard not to hear Davros in Michael Wisher's Kalik. Big Grin
Obviously the Drashigs look a bit shit, but they aren't overused, and the story has so much going on that it doesn't really need to rely on a 'monster' to keep the suspense going.
A nicely paced romp which doesn't out stay its welcome at 4 episodes long. Oddly enough I found myself enjoying this rather more than my recent viewing of The Three Doctors, despite the iconic status of the latter.
8.5/10

492Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th October 2019, 10:34 am

Kaijuko

Kaijuko

Ronnie wrote:Continuing S10 with Carnival of Monsters

I've not seen this one for a long time, and remember as one of the lesser stories of the season, but I enjoyed it more than I thought.
It's a typically multi-flavoured Holmes script with a great mix of entertaining characters and plot elements. The subtle interplay between the grey faced bureaucrats of Inter Minor is huge fun to watch, although it's hard not to hear Davros in Michael Wisher's Kalik. Big Grin
Obviously the Drashigs look a bit shit, but they aren't overused, and the story has so much going on that it doesn't really need to rely on a 'monster' to keep the suspense going.
A nicely paced romp which doesn't out stay its welcome at 4 episodes long. Oddly enough I found myself enjoying this rather more than my recent viewing of The Three Doctors, despite the iconic status of the latter.
8.5/10

Carnival of Monsters is a bloody marvellous story - one of my favourite third Doctor adventures. Personally, I think the Drashigs are a great monster design and along with their mad, unnerving scream, are generally very effective.  Yet it's Holmes' humourous script that really delights:

"They've no sense of responsibility. Give them a hygiene chamber and they store fossil fuel in it."

493Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 14th October 2019, 12:52 pm

Ludders

Ludders

The design looks good in isolation, but it's just when they move. 😂
To be fair, it's probably as much down to the dodgy CSO as much as the obvious puppetry.

494Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 15th October 2019, 2:31 pm

Ludders

Ludders

On with Season 10, and: Frontier In Space.

There's no getting round the fact that this story is terribly padded out. There are many 6 parters that should've been 4, but this one could've told its story in 3.
The guest characters are largely very good, and that help. And also the presence of Delgado is a much needed boost, but it still feels like a very long preamble to Planet of the Daleks.
I enjoy seeing the model shots, and the Draconians are obviously a design high point, but there's still not enough going for this story to distract from the fact that it's plodding in the extreme.
Shame. It should've been tighter, but Daleks Masterplan it ain't.
It does have some good points, but not enough to muster more than a 6/10.

495Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 18th October 2019, 5:30 pm

Ludders

Ludders

The Green Death.
A classic story. The maggots look great, and the ecological theme works really well. The only really bad thing about this one is obviously the flying insect, but fortunately those scenes are mercifully brief.
The supporting cast all put in good turns, and the regular are as consistently good as ever.
Kind of ironic really that Jo Grant’s slightly annoying sycophantic tendency has toned down a lot throughout season 10, and she even rather playfully admonishes the Doctor at times, along with other subtle hints over the last few stories, that the Jo is ‘growing up’, and she’s engaging with her paternalistic uncle type figure with more confidence and slightly less awe, although it’s obvious that a great fondness between them is still very much apparent.
The way Jo’s departure is handled is a credit to the show. It’s both poignant, yet subtle. The very essence of ‘less is more’. Something that NuWho just doesn’t get, as the overwrought blubbering of the ending of Doomsday aptly demonstrates.
Again, it’s that absolute polar opposite in taste, tone, and style which undermines even the better NuWho stories.
This is exactly how to deal with emotional content. You make it part of the subtext. Subtlety need not sacrifice emotional content. If you do it right, it just enhances it. Subtlety can actually be more powerful because what is unsaid, but still felt hangs in the ether and is not spent so easily.
A great end to a fine story.
9/10.

496Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th October 2019, 11:14 am

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Ronnie wrote:The Green Death.
A classic story. The maggots look great, and the ecological theme works really well.  The only really bad thing about this one is obviously the flying insect, but fortunately those scenes are mercifully brief.
The supporting cast all put in good turns, and the regular are as consistently good as ever.
Kind of ironic really that Jo Grant’s slightly annoying sycophantic tendency has toned down a lot throughout season 10, and she even rather playfully admonishes the Doctor at times, along with other subtle hints over the last few stories, that the Jo is ‘growing up’, and she’s engaging with her paternalistic uncle type figure with more confidence and slightly less awe, although it’s obvious that a great fondness between them is still very much apparent.
The way Jo’s departure is handled is a credit to the show. It’s both poignant, yet subtle. The very essence of ‘less is more’. Something that NuWho just doesn’t get, as the overwrought blubbering of the ending of Doomsday aptly demonstrates.
Again, it’s that absolute polar opposite in taste, tone, and style which undermines even the better NuWho stories.
This is exactly how to deal with emotional content. You make it part of the subtext. Subtlety need not sacrifice emotional content. If you do it right, it just enhances it. Subtlety can actually be more powerful because what is unsaid, but still felt hangs in the ether and is not spent so easily.
A great end to a fine story.
9/10.
As usual, a very fine review, Ronnie

Your point about ‘less is more’ in relation to emotional subtext is particularly pertinent. The brilliance of the final scenes of The Green Death can be found in how minimal the dialogue is- it’s beautifully understated and doesn’t opt for saccharine sentimentality. And Jo’s journey into maturity and away from her comparatively sycophantic approach towards the Doctor is also realised with restraint and subtlety, and encapsulates why RTD’s handling of her character as a pining and pious caricature in SJA makes no fucking sense whatsoever (much like his treatment of Sarah herself).

I’ll re-watch more stories and write more Who reviews myself in due time, though have been very busy of late. I look forward to reading more of your reviews in the meantime.

497Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th October 2019, 11:57 am

Ludders

Ludders

Thanks. 😊
I don’t consider myself a particularly in-depth review writer compared to yourself and others on here, but if I can make at least one good point then I’m happy.

498Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 19th October 2019, 3:23 pm

REDACTED

Into The Dalek (2014)

Not as bad as I remembered, but still pretty subpar for the most part. To be honest though, it was nice to see the Daleks actually killing people rather than doing fuck all like they usually did in the Moffat era.

2.5/5

499Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 20th October 2019, 7:34 am

Ludders

Ludders

Before going on to Season 11, I decided to divert to my minor side project of doing NuWho from Series 5 onwards. Now up to Vampires In Venice.
I remember thinking this was amongst worst of that series when it was broadcast, and a rewatch of it has done nothing to change my mind.
Right from the pre-title sequence opener there's the immediate reminder of just how lowbrow the scripts are with that whole scene of the Doctor jumping out of the cake and going on about Amy being a good kisser. Coming to this trite rubbish straight from classic Who S10, it really stands out how shit it all is.
Yes, Smith is still more restrained than Tennant, which is a good thing. But he's still lumbered with shit writing and stupid scenes, and getting wrapped up in the life of Amy and Rory. Can you imagine if the 3rd Doctor involving himself in the life of Jo Grant and Professor Jones in this way? No, because it's not self-indulgent sub soap opera shite.
Once again there's the diffusing of any potential threat in the 'drama' with NuWho's dumbed down insistence on injecting so called 'comedy'. Like the facepalming 'swordfight scene' with Rory, starting off with such infantile dialogue by way of trying to defend Amy. The whole thing is so banal that it just comes across as deliberately taking the piss. I really don't know how anybody can take this shit seriously. It's absolute rubbish. And all to the constant backdrop of Gold's muzak which barely seems to let up for a second. It's just fucking irritating, frankly. I can't think of a reason to give this crap a single point. 0/10.

500Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? - Page 20 Empty Re: Which Who Stories Have you seen lately? 20th October 2019, 8:47 am

iank

iank

One of my favourites, an absolute hoot! Big Grin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 20 of 28]

Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 24 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum