You are not connected. Please login or register

Setting the record straight...

+3
REDACTED
Doctor7
Roger K. Barrett
7 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Setting the record straight... Empty Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 5:20 pm

Roger K. Barrett

Roger K. Barrett

My brother's childminder's sister in law's cousin's window cleaner's grandad's boyfriend was the one that saved all of those episodes from biting the dust, not Ian Levine! The man is a complete fraud.

2Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 6:29 pm

Doctor7

So Levine just wants to take all the credit then !

3Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 7:38 pm

REDACTED

Yeah, what a phucker...

4Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 7:53 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

Like he wanted to take the credit for writing Attack of the Cybermen...
I hate to divert the topic of this thread a little, but is there any actual credence to the notion that Levine had a strong hand in writing Attack?

5Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 8:23 pm

stengos

stengos

I thought Saward and Levene did an interview side-by-side with Dr Who Bulletin / Dreamwatch magazine back in the eighties / nineties in which he (Ian) made these claims. Eric didn't contradict him in any way.

I don't have the magazine anymore so i cant refer back to it sorry. My memory may be playing tricks on me.

6Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 10:24 pm

iank

iank

Saward has said that Ian contributed a few ideas and that's it. He wrote it.
It's pretty obvious if you ask me. The whole thing is Saward through and through.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

7Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 10:26 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

The dialogue is obviously Saward, yes. That’s the impression I always got.

8Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 10:51 pm

stengos

stengos

Just to add to what Iank said.

Eric Saward:

"Ian only produced a couple of pages, that contained an idea - a very brief outline for the story. At the end of the day, I effectively wrote the whole thing. Yes Ian came up with some ideas, I will give him that credit, but he gives the impression that the whole concept was his and that I (Saward) just wrote it up." ..."Despite what Ian has said Paula (Woosley) did make a minor contribution, although she gets all the money, which isn't particularly fair. We don't talk any more." [Dr Who Monthly issue 348]

Sorry if my first comment mislead.

9Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 10:56 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

stengos wrote:Just to add to what Iank said.

Eric Saward:

"Ian only produced a couple of pages, that contained an idea - a very brief outline for the story. At the end of the day, I effectively wrote the whole thing. Yes Ian came up with some ideas, I will give him that credit, but he gives the impression that the whole concept was his and that I (Saward) just wrote it up." ..."Despite what Ian has said Paula (Woosley) did make a minor contribution, although she gets all the money, which isn't particularly fair. We don't talk any more." [Dr Who Monthly issue 348]

Sorry if my first comment mislead.
Thanks for the reference! That does clarify a few things, though I still wonder as to why Levine felt obliged to state that he conceptualised the whole thing. It’s not exactly a highly regarded story.

To clarify again (as I have on another thread), I’m probably one of a handful of fans who actually really likes the story.

10Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 11:36 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

There's a part in Mark Kermode's Hatchet Job where he talks about how test screen audiences can sometimes lead the filmmakers to reshoot and change certain parts of the film, turning the whole product into something weaker and more pat, and he laments that this seemed to be happening far more often from the 80's onwards, and there being far less of the powerful, uncompromising cinema endings of the 1970's getting through.

It occured to me that during 1980-85, Ian Levine pretty much was JNT's test-screen audience of one, and a particularly demanding one, and the stories were often far worse for it.

11Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 12th August 2019, 11:57 pm

stengos

stengos

Bernard Marx wrote: Thanks for the reference! That does clarify a few things, though I still wonder as to why Levine felt obliged to state that he conceptualised the whole thing. It’s not exactly a highly regarded story.

To clarify again (as I have on another thread), I’m probably one of a handful of fans who actually really likes the story.

I love "Attack". The scenes in the sewers, the black drone cybermen, the references to the events in Tenth Planet, the allusion to Tomb of the Cybermen, the cyber conversion process, The Fat Controller, Lytton, the marvellous Brian Glover as the ever so slightly dense Griffiths, the forced labour camps on Telos, Terry Molloy without the Davros makeup. Even Sarah Green from Blue Peter. It had everything bar the kitchen sink and I am sure that was an oversight that Eric now regrets.

One element i didn't much like were the Cryons, Sarah Green notwithstanding. I felt they slowed the action down a bit because of the way they both talked and kept waving their hands around. And also the supposed crushing of Lytton's hands. It just looked like they poured some cranberry juice over his hands during a quick filming break. No evidence of crushed bones as far as i could see or hear.

12Setting the record straight... Empty Re: Setting the record straight... 13th August 2019, 12:18 am

iank

iank

I love it too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum