The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread

+4
Bernard Marx
SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
Tanmann
Pepsi Maxil
8 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 2nd August 2019, 8:57 pm

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

She was so likable, funny and gorgeous.

2The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 2nd August 2019, 8:59 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Sorry but I thought she was wooden as pine

3The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 2nd August 2019, 9:05 pm

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

She's my second favourite NewWho companion actually. While I was a bit annoyed with the whole "I love the Doctor" tripe at the beginning of Series 3, I'm glad they toned it down at the end. You can really see the proper chemistry near the end of Series 3 with Tennant and Ageyman, and their relationship is finally realised and great in the books. I love Donna to bits, but I do think that Martha had more potential to stay on for another Series, so you can finally see the chemistry last a bit longer. Or, you know, scrap Rose entirely in Series 2 and just have Martha for Series 2 and 3, that works as well. I'm still amazed that she is the only NewWho companion to have a Classic style exit, as opposed to the overblown goodbyes for 80% of the other ones.

4The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 2nd August 2019, 9:06 pm

Bernard Marx

Bernard Marx

You could argue that she was fairly bland, though I find her much more bearable than Rose in series 2 (and 1, to a degree) as the soap opera elements to her character were nowhere near as intrusive. Well, in the context of her family, anyway. Her pining for the Doctor didn’t exactly help matters.

5The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 2nd August 2019, 11:17 pm

iank

iank

She was certainly Tennant's best companion. Yeah, I'd probably put her second to Amy (a distant second, but still). Wink

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

6The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 7th January 2020, 8:16 pm

Mott1

Mott1

Didn't she end up in the buff in Sense 8?

7The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 30th April 2020, 11:36 am

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

Loved Martha and always felt that she should have been Ten's companion from Tennant's first series. Rose should have just been Eccleston's companion, then have Martha for Series two and three.

That way, you could have had Martha crushing over the Doctor without it feeling like left over Rose Tyler ideas.

8The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 30th April 2020, 12:08 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheCuomoDoctor wrote:Loved Martha and always felt that she should have been Ten's companion from Tennant's first series. Rose should have just been Eccleston's companion, then have Martha for Series two and three.

That way, you could have had Martha crushing over the Doctor without it feeling like left over Rose Tyler ideas.

I don't think her crushing on him was a good idea personally. As much as I love Freema and the idea of an oversexed Freema Agyeman chasing after a nerdy Scottish guy, then romance should for the most part be kept out of the Doctor/companion romance.

Having said that I think Tennant and Freema did have better chemistry than he and Rose. He and Rose were too much of a schmoopy couple, where as he and Freema if it had been allowed to go on would have been more natural.

9The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 30th April 2020, 12:18 pm

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

I must admit, i've become desensitised to the romanticism of the Doctor.

Trust me, I LOATHED the idea of the Doctor having a romantic companion (even if it was another Gallifreyan).

But there are ways it can "work" and Ten/Martha gave us some clues: have the companion crush on the Doctor but then have her snap out of it. She realises that the Doctor won't grow old with her, he'll just live on or, worse, regenerate during her lifetime.

Furthermore, she realises that the guy just lacks humanity and the penny drops that she is chasing the idealisation of a human being rather than a guy who knows what it is to be human.

The Doctor, meanwhile, is just utterly oblivious to her interest in him which adds to the companion's realisation that it can't work. The show itself even helped to service this idea with Human Nature. It just needed tweaking.

That's why scenes like this could work:

The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread AgZWE

That way, you have the modern drama that RTD is after while keeping your titular protagonist absolutely alien. He's a weirdo without someone going "oooooh he's into MOOOSICAL THEETA too?". Ya know, subtlety.

Martha is my favourite companion of the new era:

- Kept the Doctor in check
- Highly intelligent
- Kicked some ass without the entitlement or obnoxious antics of Series 2 Rose
- Hot

10The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 30th April 2020, 12:28 pm

burrunjor

burrunjor

TheCuomoDoctor wrote:I must admit, i've become desensitised to the romanticism of the Doctor.

Trust me, I LOATHED the idea of the Doctor having a romantic companion (even if it was another Gallifreyan).

But there are ways it can "work" and Ten/Martha gave us some clues: have the companion crush on the Doctor but then have her snap out of it. She realises that the Doctor won't grow old with her, he'll just live on or, worse, regenerate during her lifetime.

Furthermore, she realises that the guy just lacks humanity and the penny drops that she is chasing the idealisation of a human being rather than a guy who knows what it is to be human.

The Doctor, meanwhile, is just utterly oblivious to her interest in him which adds to the companion's realisation that it can't work. The show itself even helped to service this idea with Human Nature. It just needed tweaking.

That's why scenes like this could work:

The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread AgZWE

That way, you have the modern drama that RTD is after while keeping your titular protagonist absolutely alien. He's a weirdo without someone going "oooooh he's into MOOOSICAL THEETA too?". Ya know, subtlety.

Martha is my favourite companion of the new era:

- Kept the Doctor in check
- Highly intelligent
- Kicked some ass without the entitlement or obnoxious antics of Series 2 Rose
- Hot

Well that certainly is a compelling argument. I agree that Martha is the best. Another great thing about her was that she didn't have to get super powers or become the chosen one like all the others either.

She was just brave because of who she was. And she was seriously hot.

The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcT02V2y9yAN5FboBgMwp3kfYkbSoIYVEpVa1K-g0-OfuIAGdtwb&usqp=CAU

11The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread Empty Re: The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 30th April 2020, 12:34 pm

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

Martha definitely deserved two seasons far more than Rose ever did.

Rose was actually really likeable in Series 1 and it would have made far more sense for her to leave in Tennant's first series. Something along the lines of "i've seen aliens masquerading as politicians, i've been to Area 51 to meet the owner of the Internet, i've met Charles Dickens....but this changing your  face shit is just too weird for me."

Again, you have humour but you also have the fact that this guy she felt she knew actually is the antithesis of what it is to be human. Then, enter Martha, you tackle this same premise but from a different angle; what are the costs of falling in love with a Timelord rather than just trusting him? Especially if The Master takes your family hostage. Ouch.

TheCuomoDoctor

TheCuomoDoctor

I wish they had mixed up her outfits in the show a little, like the ones she had in Torchwood:

The Martha Jones Appreciation Thread 4c92c0b286d1d4386ea67fd0435a9054

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum