You are not connected. Please login or register

The Worst of Big Finish

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1The Worst of Big Finish Empty The Worst of Big Finish 4th July 2019, 9:28 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I thought I'd start a thread for venting about what you believe are their worst audio releases and why they're the worst.

2The Worst of Big Finish Empty Re: The Worst of Big Finish 5th July 2019, 9:12 pm

stengos

stengos

I stopped ages ago. The One Doctor - that thing with Biggins in - was the last straw for me. Stupid and inane as far as i was concerned. After that i gave up on the regular monthly releases except for the occasional one here and there.

That said i like the 8th Doctor releases with Sheridan Smith in. I thought she had a good chemistry with McGann.

The Unbound series were good. Especially Masters of War with Mr David Warner.

3The Worst of Big Finish Empty Re: The Worst of Big Finish 5th July 2019, 11:43 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

The worst to my mind were:

Zagreus. A horrible anticlimax to Neverland's cliffhanger, which loses that previous story's momentum in amazing speed and becomes an aimless incoherent slog from there.

The Boy That Time Forgot: This one was just horrible and depressing. I've liked some bleak BF audios (Dalek Empire, Creatures of Beauty), but they at least had compelling *power* to them. this has none. It's just a miserable slog that leaves a nasty aftertaste.

Spoiler:

The Dark Husband: This story honestly seems to think it's being so clever and poking fun at the show's conventions, and yet listening to it, it's written like the previous eight years of Big Finish pushing the show's envelope in inventive ways never happened. There's the horrible air of having to politely laugh at some juvenile amateur's first attempt, for a whole hour and a half.

Dalek Empire IV: The Fearless: Just a load of macho, mean-spirited pretentious nonsense.

4The Worst of Big Finish Empty Re: The Worst of Big Finish 6th July 2019, 8:39 pm

HenriDucard89

The Boy That Time Forgot.

Sweet merciful shit, that was the one release that almost put me off Davison's other audios. Not help by the jab at Matthew Waterhouse* in the CD extras was damn near cold. Then you have the trilogy it was apart of with one of the worst audio characters: Thomas Brewster....smh (speaking of...)

*A year into fandom at time of the release yet the bunch make it seem he was the British equiv. of Shannen Doherty even before the genuine kicked up her own.

The 6th/Brewster Trilogy-

Goddamn it, Nick and Jonny! Did anyone say we wanted more of the little bastard?! Adding insult to injury is these set of stories would 3 yrs later proved to be the final performance of Maggie Stables yet they wasted her and Evelyn by repeating the same shit pro-Brewster dialogue originally foisted onto Nyssa in the previous trilogy. Its that particular gear grinding shit that became one of the 6 factors of why I ended up giving up on Big Finish (River and the War Insult coming at 1 and 2 spots respectively)

Absolution-

This and The Bride of Peladon felt more like Briggs self promoting his reign than being actual stories and both endings, especially the former, it showed. "Say goodbye to the Chameleon dude and the faux Egyptian! A new dawn has begun!!" Alas, poor C'rizz. Had a certain fab not curtailed the divergent arc, you'd have a better character development that wjat you ended up with.

5The Worst of Big Finish Empty Re: The Worst of Big Finish 6th July 2019, 9:02 pm

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

Welcome to the Hive, HenriDucard89.

Wink

And I heartily agree about Boy That Time Forgot.

6The Worst of Big Finish Empty Re: The Worst of Big Finish 6th July 2019, 9:50 pm

HenriDucard89

Cheers, Tanmann

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum