You are not connected. Please login or register

What were your thoughts after seeing NuWho for the first time?

+2
edgelord
Tanmann
6 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

REDACTED

What were your thoughts on Doctor Who coming back and after you first saw what we ended up with, how did you feel?

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I remember thinking Rose was quite a good start and was pretty much all revved up for what we might get next. If there's one thing I can say about RTD is he seemed to give the show a sense of energy. I didn't really start getting a sinking feeling until End of the World.

Granted though this was a time when the channels were dominated by soaps and reality TV shite, so there was practically nothing else on TV to look forward to, so I might've been enthusiastic more from diminished expectations than anything.

REDACTED

Tanmann wrote:I remember thinking Rose was quite a good start and was pretty much all revved up for what we might get next. If there's one thing I can say about RTD is he seemed to give the show a sense of energy. I didn't really start getting a sinking feeling until End of the World.

Granted though this was a time when the channels were dominated by soaps and reality TV shite, so there was practically nothing else on TV to look forward to, so I might've been enthusiastic more from diminished expectations than anything.

What in particular gave you that sinking feeling if you mind me asking?

Tanmann

Tanmann
Dick Tater

I think it was a few things.

The gross out humour involving the Moxx spitting in Rose's face. The Doctor's character feeling all wrong (the old Doctor was occasionally detached about planetary life-cycles, but it seemed to be far too rubbed in and on the nose that this Doctor was positively gleeful with his insensitivity to Rose about Earth's fate), the fact that the writer seemed quick to sideline the rest of the alien characters as though sci-fi was something he wasn't even interested in writing.

I just felt it was mostly snark and flippancy over substance and I can tell you I felt deeply undernourished by the story.

edgelord

Hated how the Doctor had a skinhead and a thick Northern accent.
Hated how he couldn’t save the day himself.
Hated how inconsequential and lightweight the whole plot was.
Hared the ugly, dank TARDIS interior.
Hated the Clive Finch character because I irrationally loathe Mark Benton’s acting.
Hated the wheelie bin scene.

The rest was ok.

Mott1

Mott1

I hadn't seen Dr Who in any form for a long time before Rose. It seemed ok in a lightweight way and a bit of a boost for flagging weekend telly, tho almost like a charity piss take. Even by the time Eccles turned into Tennent, tho, I knew it was all going to shit.

iank

iank

I'm with Tanmann on this; I loved the first episode, though in hindsight it was more just exhilaration from seeing the show back on screen than anything else, and End of the World gave me serious doubts for largely the same reasons.
That being said I was mostly happy with series 1. It wasn't until series 2 that I really began to smell a rotting corpse.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

REDACTED

iank wrote:I'm with Tanmann on this; I loved the first episode, though in hindsight it was more just exhilaration from seeing the show back on screen than anything else, and End of the World gave me serious doubts for largely the same reasons.
That being said I was mostly happy with series 1. It wasn't until series 2 that I really began to smell a rotting corpse.

What are your thoughts on Rose now?

iank

iank

Don't like it.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNC69I8Mq_pJfvBireybsg

Pepsi Maxil

Pepsi Maxil
The Grand Master

I watch Rose every now and again and I can't say that I don't enjoy it.  I thought it was quite good at the time but I quickly lost interest in Doctor Who after The End of the World. No one in my family really seemed to care that much either.  I vaguely remember watching parts of Boom Town and Parting of the Ways but I didn't become a fan until New Earth. I had nothing to compare it to so I thought it was absolutely wonderful and flawless. It wasn't until 2008 when I watched The Two Doctors on UKTV Gold that I began to realize there was something missing from what was being transmitted at the time. I vividly remember thinking TTD was more cinematic because it was longer and because of the setting. The idea of there being two Doctors was fascinating to me because the new series had yet to have a multi-Doctor adventure. Even at that age, I knew Peri was bang tidy Big Grin

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum