You are not connected. Please login or register

Etika: A Tragic Mix Of Mental Illness And Social Media Fame

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Zarius

Zarius
Youtuber and gamer/reactor personality Etika recently went off the grid after posting an overly-apologetic video where he talked about ending his life. This all follows a slew of manic mental episodes and stunts where he tweeted unhinged rants and threats of suicide, live-streamed things such as his own arrest and declaring himself the anti-christ on drama alert

Earlier, his belongings were eventually found next to the Manhattan bridge.

https://www.dexerto.com/entertainment/missing-youtube-star-etikas-personal-belongings-found-by-bridge-741519

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe

SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe
I'll admit that I wasn't interested in his content. I was more of a fan of one of his friends channel, Cobanermani456 (who has sadly gone off social media to help his mental health which is for the better). But when I did hear about the drama that he had done, I knew that something wasn't right, and he needed help from professionals. I find it utterly bizarre that whatever mental health hospital he was in, they just outright let him go, despite there being clear evidence that Etika was not well, and friends supporting that.

I can see two outcomes in this scenario: either he has killed himself somewhere, and that is absolutely tragic and seems more valid by the minute. Or, he is hiding somewhere, in which case, they should absolutely not let him out of the hospital when they find him, and his family should terminate his association with social media.

What is most interesting about this is how his fanbase is really scummy. They clearly have no empathy and sympathy to the fact that Etika is not well. I've seen some people glad that he may be committing suicide or say that he's faking it and has no mental health issues, and I've seen other people egging the drama on and supporting his self-destructive attitude, especially that time when Etika kept attacking a police officer or him talking about being in a cult. I honestly think that the fanbase is a huge factor as to why Etika has gone down this path, his fanbase is scum.

Zarius

Zarius
@SomeCallMeEnglishGiraffe wrote:I honestly think that the fanbase is a huge factor as to why Etika has gone down this path, his fanbase is scum.

Very true, his fanbase are enablers, they actually encouraged him to react to a suicide that Youtube still allow on their platform. Every aspect of the platform he used, from community to content, did their part in deconstructing him.

Tanmann

Tanmann
I find it utterly bizarre that whatever mental health hospital he was in, they just outright let him go, despite there being clear evidence that Etika was not well, and friends supporting that.

I can only guess that's down to austerity cuts, possibly coupled with the fact Trump has made some pretty regressive reversals on legislations involving dealing with the mentally ill (it came out apparently after the Las Vegas mass shooting, that there had been a law preventing people with a history of mental illness purchasing guns, and either Trump or someone on his team had repealed it for God knows why).

I know over here in Britain, the cost of a bed a night on the ward is pretty steep and they tend to want you out sooner than later. Maybe the same thing's happening in America. Certainly in my experience, the medical industry has just come to think pushing medication on people is the best band aid, and maybe that's what they decided to do with him. Just let him out and trust the pills to do their work.

Infact the first and only time I took a course of proscribed medication late 2013 to pull me out of a suicidal state I was in back then, it did cause me to go a bit manic and out of control in public in a way that his meltdowns very much remind me of. So maybe it's the meds that are making him worse.

Zarius

Zarius
Now confirmed dead.

Tanmann

Tanmann
That hits a bit close to home for me since I did have a meltdown similar to his back in 2014, and one I didn't expect to survive.

The health industry definitely let him down terribly.

All I can hope for now is that he's in a better place.

burrunjor

burrunjor
@Zarius wrote:Now confirmed dead.

Tragic. 29 is far too young to die.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum